The Student Room Group

I have Aspergers...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Do you think you benefit from the diagnosis and does it help you to come to terms with and deal with difficulties in your life? I've had a few professionals say "yeah, you probably have Asperger's" but I've never been diagnosed or properly assessed or anything and I feel somewhat uncomfortable with the lack of closure.

At the time of the diagnosis I was at a school which labelled me when they found out and their attitude towards me changed literally overnight. So at the time it didn't benefit me. When I reached high school, however, they helped me so much and if I hadn't had that diagnosis I wouldn't have recieved half the help I did. I'd say to get a formal diagnosis but at the same time be aware that there may be a few horrible people who will put you down for it.

Don't let those people rule your life though, I found that out the hard way.
Reply 21
Original post by emiloujess
At the time of the diagnosis I was at a school which labelled me when they found out and their attitude towards me changed literally overnight. So at the time it didn't benefit me. When I reached high school, however, they helped me so much and if I hadn't had that diagnosis I wouldn't have recieved half the help I did. I'd say to get a formal diagnosis but at the same time be aware that there may be a few horrible people who will put you down for it.

Don't let those people rule your life though, I found that out the hard way.

Do you usually stay up really late?
Original post by John55
Do you usually stay up really late?

Yes, unfortunately :frown: Then I end up being exhausted in the morning!
I have just seen a thread on here asking about 'autistic sayings', which admittedly made me a little annoyed. So now I've started this one. Ask me anything you like, whether it's about Aspergers or not.

I used to be ashamed of my 'difference' and tried to hide it before I realised that I couldn't let it take over me, it's only a little part of who I am, not my whole life.

:h:

I'm sorry you had to see the thread in question, please be assured that it was dealt with as soon as someone with powers to remove it saw it :yep:

I'm glad you aren't hiding yourself, never let anyone make you ashamed of who you are :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Odd socks
I'm sorry you had to see the thread in question, please be assured that it was dealt with as soon as someone with powers to remove it saw it :yep:

I'm glad you aren't hiding yourself, never let anyone make you ashamed of who you are :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wasn't offended as such, it was an annoyance, one of many I've had to deal with haha :biggrin: But thank you guys for removing it anyway because I know others were offended :smile:

Unfortunately I was ashamed at first but then I found what I really wanted to do as a career. There was a mental health talk at a conference I went to and I stood up and talked about it a little. No-one judged me for it and that's when I realised that if there were people who didn't like me once they found out, they'd never liked me anyway really because I was the same person :smile:
Reply 25
Yes, unfortunately :frown: Then I end up being exhausted in the morning!

I have the same problem, I suck at going to sleep :frown:. But I do quite like the peacefulness of being up in the early hours of the morning when most other people are sleeping.
Original post by John55
I have the same problem, I suck at going to sleep :frown:. But I do quite like the peacefulness of being up in the early hours of the morning when most other people are sleeping.

Exactly! The late night/early morning is so peaceful and quiet! :smile: There's an advantage to everything! (what the hell is happening to me, I used to be so negative...)

Quick Reply

Latest