The Student Room Group

further maths

hi I wanna pick FM and maths for a level but I'm worried that it will be too hard and ill get a U advice?

Scroll to see replies

What're you looking at as a GCSE grade in maths?
Reply 2
Im sure if you get an A or A* the Op will be fine right?
Original post by I need starbucks
hi I wanna pick FM and maths for a level but I'm worried that it will be too hard and ill get a U advice?

Unless you really love maths and want to do it all the time then dont pick it. My friend does FM and having 3 hours of maths (as in triple maths in one day) just sounds like torture to me. Im just doing normal maths. If you think youre really good and enjoy it then go ahead you'll get good grades if you put in the effort.
Depending on the exam board, AS Further Maths isn't too bad, so if you're on track for a high A/A* then go for it. It can be a bit harder than AS Maths (dependng on what applied modules you take) - as long as you're prepared to work hard and practice you should be okay, and then you can make a decision on whether you want to take it to A2 or not, where it steps up a lot more.

P.S - love the name :smile:

It really all comes down to how much time you're willing to dedicate to actually learning the material and going through countless examples to learn it. What are you predicted in GCSE?
Original post by Student403
What're you looking at as a GCSE grade in maths?

An A* I think I'll probably will get this (I hope) I got an A* in my last mock and I didn't get chance to revise so yeah
Original post by SeanFM
Depending on the exam board, AS Further Maths isn't too bad, so if you're on track for a high A/A* then go for it. It can be a bit harder than AS Maths (dependng on what applied modules you take) - as long as you're prepared to work hard and practice you should be okay, and then you can make a decision on whether you want to take it to A2 or not, where it steps up a lot more.

P.S - love the name :smile:

Is further maths still AS and A2 because I heard some have changed so you have to do it for 2 years?

P.S - thanks :wink:
Is further maths still AS and A2 because I heard some have changed so you have to do it for 2 years?

P.S - thanks :wink:

The new Maths is being taught from 2017 so you are safe.. just about :wink:
Original post by SeanFM
The new Maths is being taught from 2017 so you are safe.. just about :wink:

Oh thank God muahah I just missed the harder GCSEs too :biggrin:
An A* I think I'll probably will get this (I hope) I got an A* in my last mock and I didn't get chance to revise so yeah

I think you could do FM then
Oh thank God muahah I just missed the harder GCSEs too :biggrin:

Like a pro. :ninjagirl:
Are you doing further maths GCSE and/or additional maths FMSQ?
If you are, and you are predicted high grades in them, then take it (only if you really enjoy maths though)
Original post by Gogregg
Are you doing further maths GCSE and/or additional maths FMSQ?
If you are, and you are predicted high grades in them, then take it (only if you really enjoy maths though)

I'm doing GCSE further maths at the moment I enjoy it but I'm not sure what I'm predicted because we haven't done any tests yet as we haven't learnt a lot of the course just yet

I'm doing further maths as well high five :five: ! Anyway our school is not starting it until next year ( A2 / Year 13 ) What about your school? And btw most people have told me even my own relatives that further maths is hard and considering I got an A at gcse maths (edexcel) 1 mark off an A* i don't see any reason why we all can't achieve good grades in it because at the end of the day its all to do with how much effort we put in, wouldn't you agree?
:smile:
Original post by RoadtoSuccess
I'm doing further maths as well high five :five: ! Anyway our school is not starting it until next year ( A2 / Year 13 ) What about your school? And btw most people have told me even my own relatives that further maths is hard and considering I got an A at gcse maths (edexcel) 1 mark off an A* i don't see any reason why we all can't achieve good grades in it because at the end of the day its all to do with how much effort we put in, wouldn't you agree?

Well I'm in year 11 a the moment and if I choose FM I would start it next year at a sixth form college. My sister got a C in normal maths at A level so I'm a bit worried but I don't think she liked maths that much anyway I mean yeah I'm sure if we put effort in WE CAN DO IT :excited:good luck by the way :smile:
Original post by RoadtoSuccess

I got an A in gcse and got 95+ in nearly all my modules. It is all about understanding, i didnt care in gcse's

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not too hard. But FP1 is deffo tougher than C1 Nd C2.
The a level in further maths only has two modules (fp1 and fp2) that single a level maths students can't access. These are pretty hard but can be done with some hard work. Further maths is mainly just MORE maths instead of HARDER maths.
Well I'm in year 11 a the moment and if I choose FM I would start it next year at a sixth form college. My sister got a C in normal maths at A level so I'm a bit worried but I don't think she liked maths that much anyway I mean yeah I'm sure if we put effort in WE CAN DO IT :excited:good luck by the way :smile:

Well if i do good in it i can help you just pm me?

Quick Reply

Latest