The Student Room Group

"Shootings" reported in central Paris.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nucdev
Ooooh dear. Having a picture of Manmohan Singh as your DP.
Judging by the hate and ignorance shown on here, some people are going to think that you've got a fundamentalist Muslim as your DP.

Same idea to the persecution of absolutely anyone wearing a turban following 9/11, just ignorance.

Hopefully no one kicks off at me though! Should be fine though.
Summary so far.
At least 80 confirmed dead, tens injured as a result of 2 suicide bomb attacks, a gunning, and hostages being killed. Up to 100 people still held hostage in the bacalatan theatre - 2 terrorists killed so far after police stormed the building shortly after being attacked outside. A Europe 1 journalist who was reportedly inside the theatre and escaped just in time heard the words, 'This is for syria' shouted - in french - followed by the islamic takbir (allahu akbar) and gunshots.
President Hollande has declared a state of emergency and has closed the Republic's borders, stopped Paris' trains and metro system, and evacuated the entire district around the unfolding events. Reportedly, he has deployed the French military in the city.
Today's events have come just after last night's suicide bomb attack in Beirut, Lebanon, where around 68 people were killed - and if the report from the Europe 1 journalist is correct, this cold be by the same people and part of a single offensive.

Guys. We are ONE FREAKING BORDER away from this. And that is frightening.
Original post by Zacken
My prayers go out to them.

It great to see those fans singing their national anthem while exiting the stadium.Hope should never be lost even in the most desperate times
Original post by hoping4Astars
I hope the attackers repent and turn to Christ. Hope God will protect those in the Bataclan theatre in the ongoing hostage situation.

Your god didn't protect the ones who are already dead, did he? Or was he just impotent?

Original post by billydisco
Why France though?
God sending a tornado to Oklahoma for California passing gay marriage teas.
Original post by DiceTheSlice
News flash guys, if there was no Islam in this world the violent minds would still breath and wreck havoc however they wanted. What they failed (and most of you here) is education and tolerance.

Islam might have facilitated it.
Original post by College_Dropout
Paris under siege, Daily Mail commenters seem to be more concerned with boarder controls in the comments section.

As if the border is not already controlled.
Reply 544
Original post by Architecture-er
Oh I don't disagree, which was why I put Corbyn in power in a theoretical zero-hate world as a starting point.. but I think his philosophy is the only way we could attain greater societal piece - it may be bloody at first, but a continuing aggressive foreign/home policy will only drag this cycle of hate out even longer.

One side just needs to stop hating the other, and then the other loses the reason to keep hating as well

Hate does not arise for no reason. Greed is what causes hate. Revenge is for taking back the resources stolen from you in the past.

The West has done a lot of stealing. Being nice about it now won't stop the Third World or Muslims or whoever whichever governments target for exploitation hating you - the difference in development status will never go away. The hate might dissipate, but people have long memories.

So, in theory, if the West got out of the ME, then over generations they would stop hating the West, like the Indians have stopped hating the Brits. But, once the West gets out, someone else will get in.

The fight for resources will and must continue, it won't even stop if we develop into a world where we have superefficient recycling and fusion power.We will compete for materials to maximise processing power, or hydrogen, or whatever the next limited resource is.

So the best thing to do is buckle down, exploit others as much as circumstances allow and stop spillover effects affecting your home country. Pacifistic policies, no matter how well intentioned, will only need to national suicide or irrelevance, even if hate subsides.
Apparently a state of emergency in France gives the state the power to control the media and enter private homes without a warrant? Scary stuff.
Original post by Tom5pence
Any ideas to how russia will retaliate/react to this?

Neutrally, Russia is pursuing its own agenda in the ME - any reactions from them will be in relation to the plane downing in my opinion
Original post by ESPORTIVA LUTA
Close all borders

Use deadly force if necessary

Posted from TSR Mobile

:biggrin:Lol. They are already in the countries!:biggrin: Securing the borders makes no difference. And they breed like rats, we all know that.

Thank you traitors of the Lib/Lab/Con.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
That's the problem.

But that doesn't excuse xenophobia and outright prejudice on display form many people.

I don't support calling Muslims animals.

But as mentioned before I was considering becoming one at one point and the Quran does explicitly support violence in some parts. Its not xenophobia to point that out

And while the vast majority of Muslims obv arent terrorists they do keep quiet on this apart from the odd scholar
Reply 549
death toll up to 162. ISIS are behind this
So how long until this **** becomes common in the UK?
Original post by Rakas21
This is not good folks.

The coming war against Islam has taken another step forward tonight.

There are Muslims fighting ISIS on the front lines in the middle-east.

How many times do I have to say this?

Should we bomb those fighting ISIS in the 'war on Islam'?
Original post by Fat Rudeboi
Look I want to help refugees and I support "economic migrants"

But how do you tell the difference between someone whos genuinely in need, and a potential ISIS terrorist?

Easy, by their religion.
I've just heard about this story, but can we put aside the whole 'I hate muslims, can they gtfo" "we need to close our borders" comments away for ONE second? It would just be nice to show some solitude towards the French, and give our condolences to any who were affected by the tragedy, rather than devolve into arguments about Islam. It's not the kind of mature response we should have after a shooting took place only hours ago.
Reply 554
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
That's the problem.

But that doesn't excuse xenophobia and outright prejudice on display form many people.

If you cannot judge whether a refugee is genuinely in need or a terrorist, what option do you have other than pre-judging them as a potential terrorist, and hence keeping them out - at least until you have a solid method of verification?
Original post by Fat Rudeboi
I don't support calling Muslims animals.

But as mentioned before I was considering becoming one at one point and the Quran does explicitly support violence in some parts. Its not xenophobia to point that out

And while the vast majority of Muslims obv arent terrorists they do keep quiet on this apart from the odd scholar

We aren't really disagreeing here.

All those points are fine to make.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Farm_Ecology
Anyone find it interesting that this came so soon after the apparent death of Jihadi John?

It's all linked. Anon states that we're the next couple of countries to be attacked.
Reply 557
To think it was only Remembrance Day a few days ago. Some people will never learn.
Reply 558
Original post by ESPORTIVA LUTA
France needs to clamp down hard

To hell with human rights

Profile and arrest anyone suspected

Show no mercy
Yeah, to arms, brothers! Let's kill the unbelievers! Round them up and deal with them! God is great!

Please explain, how are you helping the problem?
Original post by 41b
If you cannot judge whether a refugee is genuinely in need or a terrorist, what option do you have other than pre-judging them as a potential terrorist, and hence keeping them out - at least until you have a solid method of verification?

I don't know but I'm sure there are ways. What are we going to do about people already in the country?

Lee Rigby was British after all.

We don't even know who has carried out this attack. How do you know they are recent refugees?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending