The Student Room Group

I partly blame video games for terrorism and the recent events

Let me firstly say that I am not saying that anybody who plays games on their XBOX, playstation, etc.. or whatever it may be, are terrorists or are going to become one.

What I am saying, is that if I was in charge of this country then I would completely ban ALL video games that involved any form of violence, and anything involving harming one another.

I've seen these games for myself, people are earning points to blow up countries, rape women, shoot one another, etc. And they are being rewarded for this. Let me give an example- it's usually the weird boy who sits in his room all day playing on games where these things are happening, he's probbaly linking up on these games with people all around the world (this is how alot of these terrorist groups start) and it gets to a point where the games aren't enough for him, and that if these things are happening in the games then clearly it's ok to do it in the real world.

Anybody playing on these games are being brainwashed into thinking that it's normal to follow out these vile acts, how can we teach people that violence and terrorism is wrong when it's completely legal to play on video games where you're being rewarded and being taught that it's ok to be doing those things?.

There are parents probably out in the supermarkets right now buying their 15 year old son's games where violence and terror is the norm.

The moment you are focusing on these stupid games, your mind isn't focused onto the rights things, and it's not healthy.

How can anybody talk about world peace and how we want to end all of this, when half of these people are quite happy to sit in their rooms all day and follow through these acts? whether it's in real life or not, I don't care. If you are buying games where these things happen then clearly you don't have an issue with that lifestyle and you are promoting it.

Wouldn't it be nice if people actually got out in the real world, if boys aged 10-14 went out with their friends and the only dangerous thing that could happen would be a stupid fight in a playground? instead they are being taught from a young age that it's completely normal to watch people suffer, and that's an issue.

Wisdom and health comes from being peaceful and calm, not enjoying watching people suffer. If you are not ok with it happening in the real world then you're a hypocrite if you're happy to watch it happen on social media, video games, etc.

Shame on all parents who think it's ok to let their children do this, and shame on anyone who thinks it's ok to do these things whether it's in the real world or not. YOU are part of the issue.

I also want to add that praying isn't going to help any of these recent events, the only thing that will help is taking action on what's wrong.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Does watching criminal minds make you a criminal?

Anyway, welcome back Ellie. I'm pretty sure you can vent your opinions in a real debate at school/college and be respected for having the courage to speak, even if it turns out to be a horribly poor view? Would you rather see opposing viewpoints in a respectful manner and learn something rather than endure yet another barrage of abuse from cowardly trolls?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Indeed you are correct OP, just look at the time before video games or violent media, so much sunshine and love. Perhaps if they had PS3's in the 1940's we might have seen horrific events like some kind of World War or death camps, a "Holocaust" if you will. Perhaps some sort of dictator, bred on GTA and Call of Duty would have come to power and waged war on the world, killing millions. I'm sure glad that never happened.
(edited 8 years ago)
Is this serious? Do you really think extremist groups meet up in their spare time and play call of duty?
Reply 4
Original post by shawn_o1
Does watching criminal minds make you a criminal?

In some cases, yes. It can put ideas into peoples head. The point I'm making is that when someone is sat in their room all day everyday playing on games where it's normal to blow up countries and harm one another, it's sending out the wrong message and teaching them that it's ok.
Played GTA when I was 8. Can confirm I now think violent acts and watching people suffer are totally normal and acceptable :rolleyes:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by AndrewD95
Is this serious? Do you really think extremist groups meet up in their spare time and play call of duty?

Yes, it's absolutely serious. Are you not aware that alot of these terrorist groups are actually set up from the comfort of their own bedrooms? that's how it works, they link up from all around the world, and next minute they're planning their first attack. Don't be so naive.
Just don't ban Fallout 4 :smile: and DOTA
Reply 8
Original post by Aj12
Indeed you are correct OP, just look at the time before video games or violent media, so much sunshine and love. Perhaps if they had PS3's in the 1940's we might have seen horrific events like some kind of World War or death camps, a "Holocaust" if you will. Perhaps some sort of dictator, bred on GTA and Call of Duty would have come to power and waged war on the world, killing millions. I'm sure glad that never happened.

If I ever have children (which is very unlikely) I will completely be against them spending time in their bedrooms playing online or on video games, I think children from a young age need to be taught that it's important to be calm, and love one another and be peaceful.
Nah it's way more complicated than just being some violent video games.
Original post by queen-bee
Nah it's way more complicated than just being some violent video games.

The point i'm making is that this is part of the issue, and it doesn't help. Children are taught from a young age that violence is normal and ok, then they end up doing those things in real life.
Reply 11
Original post by elliemayxo
If I ever have children (which is very unlikely) I will completely be against them spending time in their bedrooms playing online or on video games, I think children from a young age need to be taught that it's important to be calm, and love one another and be peaceful.

Those two things are not mutually exclusive. You can easily teach children not to emulate the games they play. If your children are gaining their world view from the media then it is you who has failed as a parent.
Oh my lord....

:facepalm::facepalm2:

EDIT: http://puu.sh/lmrKx/f7a06bb53d.png
Pretty much sums everything up ^
(edited 8 years ago)
you know when we play video games we aren't thinking that it is what we should do in real life right?
Yeah because the world was a nice and calm place before those damn video games. The OP should read a history book.
you know when we play video games we aren't thinking that it is what we should do in real life right?

Don't think you're getting my point, i'm not speaking on behalf of everybody who plays on these games. What I'm saying is that they need to be banned, how can you be against it happening in the real world if you are quite happy to sit there and do it in a video game? the only difference is that one is based on a TV screen and one is based in real life, like i said before- alot of these terrorist groups are set up from people who play on video games and then start to link up with one another, it's been proved many of times, so don't even try to make out that this is all rubbish when clearly it hasn't helped the issue in the slightest.

How about we start to promote peacefulness? love? supporting one another? hey, no... how about we promote blowing up countries, raping women, shooting one another and tourture. Because that's the exact message that we want to send to children right?
The point i'm making is that this is part of the issue, and it doesn't help. Children are taught from a young age that violence is normal and ok, then they end up doing those things in real life.

They don't teach children that it is ok. Quite the opposite, most violent games, if you play through the campaign are associated with loss, and violence in real life seems unappealing. I'm guessing you've never played any of the games you are talking about though.
title + tldr = no read
They don't teach children that it is ok. Quite the opposite, most violent games, if you play through the campaign are associated with loss, and violence in real life seems unappealing. I'm guessing you've never played any of the games you are talking about though.

I have no words, people like you are part of the issue.
Reply 19

Islamists want to ban video games too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending