The Student Room Group

Biology revision techniques

What revision techniques are you using/did you use for A level Biology? Last year at AS I just looked through my notes and attempted past papers. I scored okayish on them and left it there (basically I was lazy) and I ended up with a C. I'd like to know what type of techniques others use.

I heard that using a whiteboard can be helpful so I've ordered one from Wilko, I suppose what I could do with this is revise a whole topic (say,enzymes) and then, 10 minutes or so later, write down everything I remember on the whiteboard then work on the other parts.
I am struggling with the same thing. What revision guides or textbooks are you using?
Reply 2
Original post by Elocin505
I am struggling with the same thing. What revision guides or textbooks are you using?

There really isn't many resources for my course (AQA Human Biology) so I'm relying on the Nelson Thornes textbook, mark schemes and of course the specification. I am resitting an AS module though and I have a CGP revision guide for this, but there's no A2 one :frown:
I make loads of small flashcards with a question on one side and answers on the back. Go through them yourself every day (nearer the exams) or get someone else to ask you the questions.

Make revision sheets on A4 or A3 paper - you could do it like a mind map or a table/chart or just general notes, then stick it on your wall by your desk or bed - somewhere you can look at them every day. Some people like to draw pictures to help (not me as I am crap at drawing haha). Edit: this would be especially useful to draw diagram type things like the Krebs cycle or nitrogen cycle (if you learn about those on your syllabus idk).

And make sure you do every past paper. :smile:

I like your whiteboard idea as well!
(edited 8 years ago)
I use different revision guides as they help with application questions especially CGP revision guides.
Making flashcards, question and answer type, are very useful and you can get a friend to help.
Downloading your specification comes in handy.
Review your notes at most weekly.
Do past papers regularly.
Attend school/college support sessions as you teachers can print you past papers for free, see you as a hard-working and reliable student but help you with topics you have not revised in a while.
Ask your friends for their notes (this is a weird one) but look at how they set out their notes and revision and see if you like it and if it could be useful to you.
Always look back at AS notes as much as you can without interfering with A2 revision time for synoptic questions.
Hopethishelped, x.

Elocin505:redface:
Reply 5
i got 98% ums in my AS bio exams this year
used other people's revision notes online, the spec and past papers
Reply 6
Original post by katemate98
I make loads of small flashcards with a question on one side and answers on the back. Go through them yourself every day (nearer the exams) or get someone else to ask you the questions.

Make revision sheets on A4 or A3 paper - you could do it like a mind map or a table/chart or just general notes, then stick it on your wall by your desk or bed - somewhere you can look at them every day. Some people like to draw pictures to help (not me as I am crap at drawing haha). Edit: this would be especially useful to draw diagram type things like the Krebs cycle or nitrogen cycle (if you learn about those on your syllabus idk).

And make sure you do every past paper. :smile:

I like your whiteboard idea as well!

Thanks for your advice :smile: I could do flash cards with questions, but I don't know what the questions would actually be. Because the things that are going to require most revision are long processes like the process of IVF and the polymerase chain reaction - I couldn't just put "Describe the process of IVF" on one side then write a massive paragraph on the other because it wouldn't be useful :frown:

I have got flashcards, for Psychology, and it'd be nice to use them for Human Biology, I just don't yet know how I could use them in an effective way :/

Original post by Elocin505
I use different revision guides as they help with application questions especially CGP revision guides.
Making flashcards, question and answer type, are very useful and you can get a friend to help.
Downloading your specification comes in handy.
Review your notes at most weekly.
Do past papers regularly.
Attend school/college support sessions as you teachers can print you past papers for free, see you as a hard-working and reliable student but help you with topics you have not revised in a while.
Ask your friends for their notes (this is a weird one) but look at how they set out their notes and revision and see if you like it and if it could be useful to you.
Always look back at AS notes as much as you can without interfering with A2 revision time for synoptic questions.
Hopethishelped, x.

Elocin505:redface:

Unfortunately my course (AQA Human Biology) doesn't have many resources because it's relatively unpopular - there is an AS CGP revision guide which I've got but other than that there's just the Nelson Thornes textbooks :/

I have the specifications already and they're useful when it comes to making revision notes. You suggest doing past papers regularly? Is this what you did? Because many people say not to do them too early otherwise you will run out when it comes close to exam time.

Thanks for your advice :smile:

Original post by yoda123
i got 98% ums in my AS bio exams this year
used other people's revision notes online, the spec and past papers

Lucky you that you were able to get others' notes ! And well done on your result :smile:
I was going to make notes using the Cornell note taking system (http://lsc.cornell.edu/LSC_Resources/cornellsystem.pdf). Instead of during class I'm going to do it as I read notes/watch youtube videos. And in the left column i'm going to write prompt questions.

Then I'm going to create flashcards from the prompt questions and answers and use the Leitener system (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33DIo8iU7ws) ---> ignore that the video is specifically for doing German.

Then I'll do past papers and reread notes and flashcards.

That is my plan anyway. Usually just write notes out again and do past papers but that is boring so I am trying something else.
I don't have time to answer in depth, but ffs remember to base your revision notes of an amalgamation of past paper question answers. (Deduce what's relevant, and what's application of knowledge.)

edit: rota repeat, repeat, repeat more, sentence by sentence, then revisit, increasing intervals naturally.
Reply 9
Original post by Excuse Me!
I was going to make notes using the Cornell note taking system (http://lsc.cornell.edu/LSC_Resources/cornellsystem.pdf). Instead of during class I'm going to do it as I read notes/watch youtube videos. And in the left column i'm going to write prompt questions.

Then I'm going to create flashcards from the prompt questions and answers and use the Leitener system (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33DIo8iU7ws) ---> ignore that the video is specifically for doing German.

Then I'll do past papers and reread notes and flashcards.

That is my plan anyway. Usually just write notes out again and do past papers but that is boring so I am trying something else.

Sounds cool :smile: I've looked the cornell thing many times but I don't like it and frankly am too lazy to do that anyway. Hope it works for you though!

Original post by XcitingStuart
I don't have time to answer in depth, but ffs remember to base your revision notes of an amalgamation of past paper question answers. (Deduce what's relevant, and what's application of knowledge.)

edit: rota repeat, repeat, repeat more, sentence by sentence, then revisit, increasing intervals naturally.

I'm a lazy bastard so I already do this :lol: No way am I learning all the irrelevant **** from the textbook. There are so many topics for which I've just lifted like two sentences off of a two page spread because that's all that was relevant
Make Big poseters for krebs etc
Write down the main points of each topic. For eg., the Krebs cycle could be compressed to a few points in the form of a circle (It's past my bedtime, ignore the rudimentary language :tongue: )

Try to relate to it, if it's zoology. Digestive systems, circulatory systems, excretory and reproductive systems... come on! Be a cockroach for an hour or two! (I had to study that last week, I'd choose a dog otherwise :rofl: )

If it's botany, keep writing. Understand the text-book or pick out meaningful sentences and pen them down. Then, look at a plant and try to relate as much as possible. FYI, I dislike botany

Oh, and use coloured pens, so your book/writing pad looks attractive :smile: Skim over the whole thing and then read your textbook. This should reinforce your concepts :biggrin:

P.S. My biology is pretty strong @ ~95%. However, I need help with Physics and Chem. I know this is a Biology thread, but if somebody could offer a few tips, I'd be ever grateful!

~Ri
raniafernandes.webs.com
Original post by raniafern
Write down the main points of each topic. For eg., the Krebs cycle could be compressed to a few points in the form of a circle (It's past my bedtime, ignore the rudimentary language :tongue: )

Try to relate to it, if it's zoology. Digestive systems, circulatory systems, excretory and reproductive systems... come on! Be a cockroach for an hour or two! (I had to study that last week, I'd choose a dog otherwise :rofl: )

If it's botany, keep writing. Understand the text-book or pick out meaningful sentences and pen them down. Then, look at a plant and try to relate as much as possible. FYI, I dislike botany

Oh, and use coloured pens, so your book/writing pad looks attractive :smile: Skim over the whole thing and then read your textbook. This should reinforce your concepts :biggrin:

P.S. My biology is pretty strong @ ~95%. However, I need help with Physics and Chem. I know this is a Biology thread, but if somebody could offer a few tips, I'd be ever grateful!

~Ri
raniafernandes.webs.com

falas português ? obrigado !!
Original post by beyknowles2
There really isn't many resources for my course (AQA Human Biology) so I'm relying on the Nelson Thornes textbook, mark schemes and of course the specification. I am resitting an AS module though and I have a CGP revision guide for this, but there's no A2 one :frown:

Hi there do you happen to have the June 2015 paper for Human Biology A2? I have the AS ones but don't have A2, I didn't do too well in my AS :frown: and need to do better at A2, if you could get back to me as soon as possible it would be much appreciated
Original post by pinkpanther101
Hi there do you happen to have the June 2015 paper for Human Biology A2? I have the AS ones but don't have A2, I didn't do too well in my AS :frown: and need to do better at A2, if you could get back to me as soon as possible it would be much appreciated

Hey, could you send me the Unit 1 paper? :redface:
can u send me the bio aqa as unit 1 paper please if u have it
thanks
Original post by pinkpanther101

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending