The Student Room Group

A levels Choices

Hii there :biggrin:D, I am planning to Biology Chemistry and Maths (for some sixth form / colleges I do bio chem phy maths)
(My school doesn’t have a sixth form)

I have received my recent mock results , most of the subjects are pretty great except biology(I got 6 ), which I want to do for A Levels. However to get into the sixth form or college, the grade requirement to do science subjects are around 7 or even 8s (private schools) in GCSE. For my future studies, I am really interested in studying medicine or dentistry. I do enjoy learning about biology but I feel like I don’t know the exam techniques in biology or maybe the marking is really strict. I am unsure if biology is really my thing, should I change my A Level Subjects choice ? I feel like the schools wouldn’t want me if they see the 6 in biology ;-;.

I look forward to all your advices and guidances. Thank you !!!
Original post by eunicelwk._
Hii there :biggrin:D, I am planning to Biology Chemistry and Maths (for some sixth form / colleges I do bio chem phy maths)

I have received my recent mock results , most of the subjects are pretty great except biology(I got 6 ), which I want to do for A Levels. However to get into the sixth form or college, the grade requirement to do science subjects are around 7 or even 8s (private schools) in GCSE. For my future studies, I am really interested in studying medicine or dentistry. I do enjoy learning about biology but I feel like I don’t know the exam techniques in biology or maybe the marking is really strict. I am unsure if biology is really my thing, should I change my A Level Subjects choice ? I feel like the schools wouldn’t want me if they see the 6 in biology ;-;.

At the sixth form I go to they only require a 6 in biology, so I wouldn't worry about it too much and also you have time to work on your exam technique before you actually do your GCSEs.
Reply 2
Original post by flowersinmyhair

At the sixth form I go to they only require a 6 in biology, so I wouldn't worry about it too much and also you have time to work on your exam technique before you actually do your GCSEs.

Ok Thanks a lot !!😭
Reply 3
Original post by eunicelwk._

If you like the subject, then you should continue to work hard. I was predicted a 5 in my final mocks before GCSE's (December). I ended up getting an 8 (1 mark off a 9). I also found it hard to revise and was always missing the marks because of the mark scheme. My lifesaving revision technique which I had developed over a long time and found what worked for me consisted of:

1) Flashcards on PMT
2) If I didn't know a particular topic, I would watch the topic video on Cognito on YouTube
3) Do the flashcard again
4) Blurt out what I remember from the topic on a notes app
5) Read my notes and test myself every day
Reply 4
Original post by kwakraon
If you like the subject, then you should continue to work hard. I was predicted a 5 in my final mocks before GCSE's (December). I ended up getting an 8 (1 mark off a 9). I also found it hard to revise and was always missing the marks because of the mark scheme. My lifesaving revision technique which I had developed over a long time and found what worked for me consisted of:

1) Flashcards on PMT
2) If I didn't know a particular topic, I would watch the topic video on Cognito on YouTube
3) Do the flashcard again
4) Blurt out what I remember from the topic on a notes app
5) Read my notes and test myself every day

Forgot to add

6) Practice papers

Practice papers are important so you can apply all the knowledge you've gained from the last 5 steps. When marking, highlight the key words (usually in bold) because those are the words you need to include to get the marks. Maybe you could draw a table and in each column write the topic name, and under the topic name write down the key words you should be using in that particular topic.
Reply 5
Original post by kwakraon
Forgot to add

6) Practice papers

Practice papers are important so you can apply all the knowledge you've gained from the last 5 steps. When marking, highlight the key words (usually in bold) because those are the words you need to include to get the marks. Maybe you could draw a table and in each column write the topic name, and under the topic name write down the key words you should be using in that particular topic.

Thanks a lot for the advice!!

Quick Reply

Latest