The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChancedTravels
Are you interviewing at UCL tomorrow? My presentation is not very well prepared so starting to worry a bit haha..

I have an interview with them on Wednesday. I'm freaking out about the presentation, 5 minutes is so short and I love to go off on tangents...not a good mix

Good luck!!
Original post by *tango*
If you do well in the interview, then it's yours, but if not, they can reject you as one of the conditions won't be met and then the place could go to somebody else.
I think there is a lot of 'politics' in the interview business this year.
But I'm sure you'll do well :smile: Good luck!

Thank you, I'm really hoping I do well in the interview!! Why do you feel there is a lot of 'politics' involved this year?
Had one interview, unfortunately did not go well and they got back to me as - unsuccessfully. Know I have 2 other interviews next month so a lot is at stake.
Original post by *tango*
Thank you.
Yes, they did. I was still at school when the interviewers were leaving so they just told me.

Congrats Tango!!
People applying for primary I need your help!
what did you put for the name of main subject or subjects? I was told by Southampton that I don't need to put anything on there - is this the same for all universities?
Are you interviewing at UCL tomorrow? My presentation is not very well prepared so starting to worry a bit haha..

No I'm at University of Nottingham tomorrow!
Good luck for yours though, just keep practicing and reading through it. Maybe make yourself a little cue card of the order of things to keep on the desk in front of you in case you freeze up?

I'm most worried about the written task I think, I've got no idea what to expect
Original post by jimbles
Thank you, I'm really hoping I do well in the interview!! Why do you feel there is a lot of 'politics' involved this year?

Before it was different. Let's say a uni had 50 places guaranteed so they didn't need to rush to get 50 suitable candidates asap and they could recruit the whole year if they wanted.
This year they don't have any places guaranteed. What's guaranteed is that whole England has let's say 10 000 places and so unis have to compete for these places. That's why they are trying to get a lot of applicants as soon as possible. (Of course, they are limited by the number of uni staff, the number of schools in the area - for placements, etc.)
This is good for those applying early because unis probably won't be as picky as they used to be before.
Original post by martyncooper
Congrats Tango!!

Thank you!
I'm in trouble though. I volunteer in a different school and they expect me to want to train with them, but I really like the school that has interviewed me today. So now I'm not sure what I'm going to do ...
Original post by *tango*
Before it was different. Let's say a uni had 50 places guaranteed so they didn't need to rush to get 50 suitable candidates asap and they could recruit the whole year if they wanted.
This year they don't have any places guaranteed. What's guaranteed is that whole England has let's say 10 000 places and so unis have to compete for these places. That's why they are trying to get a lot of applicants as soon as possible. (Of course, they are limited by the number of uni staff, the number of schools in the area - for placements, etc.)
This is good for those applying early because unis probably won't be as picky as they used to be before.

Ah I'm with you now. Probably not the best way for it to have been done this year. I'm assuming primary PGCE's are probably almost full up then!
Original post by jimbles
Ah I'm with you now. Probably not the best way for it to have been done this year. I'm assuming primary PGCE's are probably almost full up then!

Apparently, the reason why NCTL has changed it is because schools have turned away good potential trainees once all of their allocated places have been filled.

I got an email from one of the unis last Friday that said that Primary, Secondary History, English and PE were almost full.
U of Birmingham rang me today to say my application had really impressed them so they wanted to offer me an interview on Friday, yay! However nothing has changed on track so I have no information about the interview, has anyone had one at Birmingham yet?
Original post by Charocall
Have you got the science/maths interview in KCL tomorrow? I have that one, soo nervous!

I'm Latin with Classics, but I guess they must do loads of interviews on the same day. Good luck!

Good luck with the interview today! Hope it's going well.
Track still hasn't changed and I was invited to interview at Sussex 5 days ago. Do some unis just not bother updating it there?
Original post by Aemiliana
Track still hasn't changed and I was invited to interview at Sussex 5 days ago. Do some unis just not bother updating it there?

It took Durham 5 days to put an interview on track but Oxford like 2 hours.
Original post by TunaTunnel
It took Durham 5 days to put an interview on track but Oxford like 2 hours.

Ah okay so some unis are just quicker about it then!
Original post by Aemiliana
Ah okay so some unis are just quicker about it then!

I've had 2 invitations but none on Track.
Halfway through my IOE interview!!! I think it's going well so far, just got to wait for my individual interview at 3 now!
Halfway through my IOE interview!!! I think it's going well so far, just got to wait for my individual interview at 3 now!

Well done!
3? Ah, it's a long day for you then.
I've done all the sample literacy tests and my punctuation is always 13 out of 15 marks. I have no idea where I keep making mistakes as the website doesn't show the correct answer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending