The Student Room Group

Is the Diploma in Dental Nursing worth it ????

Hi all,

I've been doing a lot of reading and tend to come across tons of negativity towards Dental Nursing in terms of earning minimum wage even once qualified, long hours and there is no room for progression and salary increase unless you have a background in Biology and a degree , please can anyone give me some advice that knows better please ???
Original post by D4Dentistry
Hi all,

I've been doing a lot of reading and tend to come across tons of negativity towards Dental Nursing in terms of earning minimum wage even once qualified, long hours and there is no room for progression and salary increase unless you have a background in Biology and a degree , please can anyone give me some advice that knows better please ???

My sister is a dental nurse. She works 16hrs a week (she has a baby so can only do part time for now) earns £8.50 an hour and is going back to uni for adult nursing so yeah. She did manage to get a job almost immediately though if it's any consolation
Reply 2
Original post by cherryred90s
My sister is a dental nurse. She works 16hrs a week (she has a baby so can only do part time for now) earns £8.50 an hour and is going back to uni for adult nursing so yeah. She did manage to get a job almost immediately though if it's any consolation

Thanks Cherry, any feedback is fantastic as I am trying to figure out if it's worth doing the course and taking a complete career path change, did your sister do it through a college or uni or company ?
Thanks Cherry, any feedback is fantastic as I am trying to figure out if it's worth doing the course and taking a complete career path change, did your sister do it through a college or uni or company ?

No problem :smile: she did a 2yr foundation degree at uni, most of which was spent on placement
Reply 4
No problem :smile: she did a 2yr foundation degree at uni, most of which was spent on placement

As she is is already a Dental Nurse , do you know if she finds it fulfilling ? (In terms of a solid and viable career )
:smile:
As she is is already a Dental Nurse , do you know if she finds it fulfilling ? (In terms of a solid and viable career )
:smile:

She likes her job, and her duties are pretty relaxed and laid back, but she feels that adult nursing has better prospects and better pay so that's why she's gone in that direction. Before that, she was planning on doing orthodontic nursing, which is more respected and has better pay rates.
Reply 6
She likes her job, and her duties are pretty relaxed and laid back, but she feels that adult nursing has better prospects and better pay so that's why she's gone in that direction. Before that, she was planning on doing orthodontic nursing, which is more respected and has better pay rates.

Thank you for all the information you have provided :smile: - at the end of it i guess any qualification under the belt is worth more then not having one. xx

Quick Reply

Latest