The Student Room Group

A-level media or Sociology? and Why?

I have already taking English Literature, English Language, ICT and I cannot choose between the two for my 4th one. I am already taking GCSE media studies and its going ok and I have got B's in my coursework. But will I be able to keep up for A-level media? My strongest subject is English Lit, I am very good at the analysis and essay writing. I think I will go for the one that is more like Literature. Does anyone do both of them? To help me decide...

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by ALCP
I have already taking English Literature, English Language, ICT and I cannot choose between the two for my 4th one. I am already taking GCSE media studies and its going ok and I have got B's in my coursework. But will I be able to keep up for A-level media? My strongest subject is English Lit, I am very good at the analysis and essay writing. I think I will go for the one that is more like Literature. Does anyone do both of them? To help me decide...

From my understanding, sociology is quite essay based and involves analysis of theories? Maybe that helps? Do you have any idea what kind of thing you want to do after A-Levels? Normally it's good to target them a bit towards that if you know. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by ALCP

Hey,
With Sociology it is essay based so if you feel that you can deal with multiple essay based subjects then go for that. For the topics covered in Sociology it depends on the exam board that your school follow. As of Media, from what I have heard about the AS and the A2 course is that it can be hard work and long but it is quite interesting and if you are willing to put in that work then go for that. If you have any specific questions then I can try to help :smile:
Reply 4
i do not do them both, i only do sociology.
for me sociology is VERY interesting and is one of those fun subjects where all the content just seems to stay in your head and is memorable. my friend does media and she said she would drop it if she could (but doesn't as she wants to be a graphic designer) as all she does is coursework on the computer and nothing interesting, every one who does sociology loves it at my school and no one has dropped it, where as all my media friends hate it and some have dropped it (those that don't need it for the future). sociology is essay based but the questions in my opinion are very easy, its just how they word them, but once you've seen a few essays you will understand it. i hope this helps :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
well you already have two essay based subjects, have you considered doing a maths or science subjects to give you more options when you apply to university?
Reply 6
Yeah I get what you mean but I cannot take Maths or Science for a level as I can only get C's in them. At the moment I want to do English Literature for Uni :smile: Do you think it would be too many essays? As I am already doing two on top of that. I enjoy the English Literature essay's as they are my strong points
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by QUIETONE
Hey,
With Sociology it is essay based so if you feel that you can deal with multiple essay based subjects then go for that. For the topics covered in Sociology it depends on the exam board that your school follow. As of Media, from what I have heard about the AS and the A2 course is that it can be hard work and long but it is quite interesting and if you are willing to put in that work then go for that. If you have any specific questions then I can try to help :smile:

The Sociology at my school is AQA. I really enjoy/like doing the essay as I feel like I have control over the exam and I like to base the essay on analyse. But will I be able to handle lots of essays in nearly all my a levels? Thanks :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by rubyrae8
i do not do them both, i only do sociology.
for me sociology is VERY interesting and is one of those fun subjects where all the content just seems to stay in your head and is memorable. my friend does media and she said she would drop it if she could (but doesn't as she wants to be a graphic designer) as all she does is coursework on the computer and nothing interesting, every one who does sociology loves it at my school and no one has dropped it, where as all my media friends hate it and some have dropped it (those that don't need it for the future). sociology is essay based but the questions in my opinion are very easy, its just how they word them, but once you've seen a few essays you will understand it. i hope this helps :smile:

Thanks for getting back to me :smile: Are the essays similar to Literature? Like you make a point, back it up, the analyse it, link it? I have applied now, and I picked Sociology instead of media :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by ALCP
The Sociology at my school is AQA. I really enjoy/like doing the essay as I feel like I have control over the exam and I like to base the essay on analyse. But will I be able to handle lots of essays in nearly all my a levels? Thanks :smile:

Sorry for the late reply... I have the same exam Board, and I did English Literature at AS but dropped it for A2. At AS for Sociology it's not that bad because with Sociology especially, there are lots of smaller questions like 2 and 4 mark questions, both exams combined there are about 5 essays. Seeing that you really enjoy it and good at it then you will be fine. If you have any questions about the content or anything you can let me know and I can try to help :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by QUIETONE
Sorry for the late reply... I have the same exam Board, and I did English Literature at AS but dropped it for A2. At AS for Sociology it's not that bad because with Sociology especially, there are lots of smaller questions like 2 and 4 mark questions, both exams combined there are about 5 essays. Seeing that you really enjoy it and good at it then you will be fine. If you have any questions about the content or anything you can let me know and I can try to help :smile:

Thanks for getting back! :smile: Would you say its similar to English Literature? Like the way you structure the essays and the way you learn it? What other a-levels do you do? if you dont mind me asking :biggrin:
Original post by ALCP
Thanks for getting back! :smile: Would you say its similar to English Literature? Like the way you structure the essays and the way you learn it? What other a-levels do you do? if you dont mind me asking :biggrin:

The structure is the same for both at AS Level, where you would need a point, evidence, explaination, evaluation and link back to the question :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
However for Literature, its more about the interpretation of the text and how to evaluate that whereas in Sociology its more of knowing the content and being able to write that in a evaluative way. Because for both subjects you have a mark per minute for the real exam.

Quick Reply

Latest