The Student Room Group

How to recover from stress/anxiety burnout?

Scroll to see replies

I've a form of OCD, anxiety and panic attacks as well.

I am not afraid of the food being contaminated but I am afraid of using any medication (even paracetamol) or consuming stuff I used to love like caffeine and alcohol. Any substance that might cause even the slightest symptoms, I am afraid will trigger some worse mental problem like schizophrenia or worse anxiety. It's probably irrational to believe that schizophrenia will be triggered like that by...caffeine or alcohol (although anxiety can definitely get worse and I'm afraid I will create another panic attack). But when I am thinking that it might, I get really anxious and as a result I get more physical symptoms for which I worry about intensely thus more physical symptoms, etc, etc -> Panic attack. It's vicious cycle and it's difficult to break out of it.

The worst symptoms are vision problems and dizziness. My vision gets slightly blurred and bright lights look like stars (that's the scariest of the symptoms). I also get dizzy in the same way one might get dizzy if one has done 60 minutes of running. Only I get that when I'm resting. Same with heart pounding although I don't find that as scary for some reason?

Due to sleep deprivation, I also get rare moments during which for literally 1 second I get a dizzy spell (feels like I'm about to fall asleep) and mild nausea (feels like sea sickness). That's ****ing scary as well but it has only happened twice so far and only when I'm really tired and trying to focus intensely on something like reading or driving fast.

In my case, symptoms subside when I refrain from taking any medication or any other substance that might cause any change in my body (cos then I get panicked as hell). Also, and this is a MAJOR one, I feel FAR better if I am not googling stuff. Seriously, that is what has destroyed me. I believe that if I hadn't googled my symptoms 8 years ago, I'd not have had this kind of anxiety now. Also, a good night's sleep is paramount although I wake up 4-5 (perhaps more) times every single night. If I get enough sleep, I feel less stressed even with this kind of constant interruption.

And ofc talking to friends (not always about your illness btw - better to talk about other things to get your mind off it) and aerobic exercise (football and running for me) help too. But in my case, I need to confront my phobias. So I have also started drinking a bit of coffee (less than 100mg of caffeine/day) and try to remind myself of how awesome it was when I was not worried about ****ing caffeine. Alcohol is more difficult 'cos I get REALLY anxious when I get that first buzz. But anyway, I need to expose myself more to my fears 'cos I know that they're not rational (or do I...?)
Reply 41
My OCD stops me from aking pills too for fear they have been contaminated or tampered with. Even when I'm in pain, I still won't take a painkiller, not even simple ibuprofen that I've took a million times in the past. This is when my OCD is at it's worst like right now. I'm always wary about pills in general but it's beyond a joke in times like this. That's why I won't go down the meds road for my anxiety issues. That's why I'm doing it all on my own or with some talking therapy. I won't touch meds.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 42
Because my OCD has been extreme and I have contamination fears with it (toxins, drugs, germs etc) it stops me eating a lot which you can imagine and in the space of a month I lost a stone and now its back, I've lost another 7 pounds less than a month so about a stone and a half in general in just over 3 months. I've went from 10 and a half stone down to about 9. When I tell people this, they have the cheek to say "oh I wish I had something that made me lose weight so quick!" You wouldn't say to someone with cancer who's lost weight so quickly due to illness so why is it OK to say that to someone who has lost weight due to a mental illness? Rant over. Really annoyed that so many people are so ignorant when it comes to MH in general and especially OCD.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Spock's Socks
Because my OCD has been extreme and I have contamination fears with it (toxins, drugs, germs etc) it stops me eating a lot which you can imagine and in the space of a month I lost a stone and now its back, I've lost another 7 pounds less than a month so about a stone and a half in general in just over 3 months. I've went from 10 and a half stone down to about 9. When I tell people this, they have the cheek to say "oh I wish I had something that made me lose weight so quick!" You wouldn't say to someone with cancer who's lost weight so quickly due to illness so why is it OK to say that to someone who has lost weight due to a mental illness? Rant over. Really annoyed that so many people are so ignorant when it comes to MH in general and especially OCD.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I hate when people disregard OCD like its nothing. Mental health awareness needs to be done! People need to know, and to know that they aren't alone!

I had my counselling session today after my breakdown and honestly I thought I didn't make any progress but after coming home, I feel so much better! How are you?
Reply 44
Original post by Anonymous
I hate when people disregard OCD like its nothing. Mental health awareness needs to be done! People need to know, and to know that they aren't alone!

I had my counselling session today after my breakdown and honestly I thought I didn't make any progress but after coming home, I feel so much better! How are you?

Yeah its annoying. That's why I'm very open and vocal about my experiences with mental health, to try and break the stigma. Some people will see it as attention seeking but I don't care. I've never understood how it could be regarded as attention seeking as a lot of people see you as stupid, weak or annoying if you have a mental problem and that's not the kind of attention anyone wants.

Glad you're feeling better :smile: yeah I'm good thanks. Pulled some muscles in back from painting yesterday so I've just been taking it easy today. I was stretching one minute and then crouching the next so blaming that for my pain. I'm not the most fit to begin with lol.

I keep forgetting that last week, I was at my utter lowest. I feel like so much more time has passed than just a week. Just shows that the bad times really don't last forever :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah its annoying. That's why I'm very open and vocal about my experiences with mental health, to try and break the stigma. Some people will see it as attention seeking but I don't care. I've never understood how it could be regarded as attention seeking as a lot of people see you as stupid, weak or annoying if you have a mental problem and that's not the kind of attention anyone wants.

Glad you're feeling better :smile: yeah I'm good thanks. Pulled some muscles in back from painting yesterday so I've just been taking it easy today. I was stretching one minute and then crouching the next so blaming that for my pain. I'm not the most fit to begin with lol.

I keep forgetting that last week, I was at my utter lowest. I feel like so much more time has passed than just a week. Just shows that the bad times really don't last forever :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm still at my lowest, feel like I can cry anytime. I feel so alone. My anxiety is triggered by social issues and I'm currently dealing with social struggles. I feel utterly alone and isolated to the people I love. I went to work today and it was a small distraction but the social issues still played on my mind. I can't cope. I have college Monday and am already feeling very anxious. I have a deadline due and it cannot be extended and the work isn't really an issue, once I'm in the zone hopefully I'll get it done.

These social issues and really upsetting me and I feel all alone literally you are the only person who may listen, I hope. I'm so sorry for dumping this but I'm alone and scared that I always will be. I don't have my family or friends who understand both my anxiety and social struggles. Everyone is telling me to be nice to the girls and they'll soon get bored, which I understand but I still so upset and alone. I'm fighting the tears whilst writing this. I don't even know if I'm gonna get through this. Can't keep doing this, am I that horrible and annoying no one wants me.

I'm so sorry
Reply 46
I'm still at my lowest, feel like I can cry anytime. I feel so alone. My anxiety is triggered by social issues and I'm currently dealing with social struggles. I feel utterly alone and isolated to the people I love. I went to work today and it was a small distraction but the social issues still played on my mind. I can't cope. I have college Monday and am already feeling very anxious. I have a deadline due and it cannot be extended and the work isn't really an issue, once I'm in the zone hopefully I'll get it done.

These social issues and really upsetting me and I feel all alone literally you are the only person who may listen, I hope. I'm so sorry for dumping this but I'm alone and scared that I always will be. I don't have my family or friends who understand both my anxiety and social struggles. Everyone is telling me to be nice to the girls and they'll soon get bored, which I understand but I still so upset and alone. I'm fighting the tears whilst writing this. I don't even know if I'm gonna get through this. Can't keep doing this, am I that horrible and annoying no one wants me.

I'm so sorry

Its good you can still go to work, even though you don't feel like it. Anxiety and panics made me quit college so take heart is knowing that you're strong for still being able to go to work and college, even on your worst days. It shows you still have control, even though it doesn't feel like it.

Since you're still in a bad phase, I definitely recommend anxiety forums like NoMorePanic and helplines like Breathing Space or Mind. They are really good with giving advice for social anxiety. I don't really have any experience at all which social anxiety tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 47
Anon, how have you been the last few days? Things picking up now?
Anon, how have you been the last few days? Things picking up now?

Still the same. I just spoke to a friend about my social problems and am regretting telling her, maybe that's the paranoia kicking in. Maybe I do need to buck up and ignore things, I'm just struggling to cope and hate feeling like this. Can't keep doing this.

How are you?
Reply 49
Still the same. I just spoke to a friend about my social problems and am regretting telling her, maybe that's the paranoia kicking in. Maybe I do need to buck up and ignore things, I'm just struggling to cope and hate feeling like this. Can't keep doing this.

How are you?

Even though you regret it a bit now, you still done the right thing talking about your feelings. I wouldn't say bucking up and trying to ignore how you feel is the way to go. It works for lots of situations but not really mental health problems. I would say accepting how you feel for the time being and not adding too much extra stress to it is the way to go but its easier said than done. My Claire Weekes books and audio tapes taught me how to accept my anxiety state and for the most part, I can do it.

I've been OK thanks. Up one minute and down the next. I took a really bad panic attack while out yesterday for the first time in ages as usually my bad ones have just happened at home recently and that floored me a bit but I'm trying to just remind myself that I've been here before and I've always bounced back and I just need to mother myself for the next few days pretty much and take it easy. I've been quite stressed and anxious the last few days as my stepdad took another mini stroke so I knew a big attack was coming eventually.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Even though you regret it a bit now, you still done the right thing talking about your feelings. I wouldn't say bucking up and trying to ignore how you feel is the way to go. It works for lots of situations but not really mental health problems. I would say accepting how you feel for the time being and not adding too much extra stress to it is the way to go but its easier said than done. My Claire Weekes books and audio tapes taught me how to accept my anxiety state and for the most part, I can do it.

I've been OK thanks. Up one minute and down the next. I took a really bad panic attack while out yesterday for the first time in ages as usually my bad ones have just happened at home recently and that floored me a bit but I'm trying to just remind myself that I've been here before and I've always bounced back and I just need to mother myself for the next few days pretty much and take it easy. I've been quite stressed and anxious the last few days as my stepdad took another mini stroke so I knew a big attack was coming eventually.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know what you mean about the up down feeling, sometimes it can be OK and other times it can feel terrible. Hope your stepdad is ok.

I went in today with a fresh slate and for a while things were OK. I'm going out with them tomorrow but am feeling anxious. They asked me last week but I said no as I knew it was out of pity. People have told me if I keep saying no then they will stop asking so I decided to say yes.

I'm trying to keep an open mind and trying not to let things bother me but it's difficult. I asked one girl if I had done something wrong and she told me no and the other girl just walked away. Mum told me to leave it and that not everyone will like me but it bugs me that we once used to be really close. Where did things go wrong? I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm scared this might lead to a meltdown but am trying to keep calm.
Reply 51
I know what you mean about the up down feeling, sometimes it can be OK and other times it can feel terrible. Hope your stepdad is ok.

I went in today with a fresh slate and for a while things were OK. I'm going out with them tomorrow but am feeling anxious. They asked me last week but I said no as I knew it was out of pity. People have told me if I keep saying no then they will stop asking so I decided to say yes.

I'm trying to keep an open mind and trying not to let things bother me but it's difficult. I asked one girl if I had done something wrong and she told me no and the other girl just walked away. Mum told me to leave it and that not everyone will like me but it bugs me that we once used to be really close. Where did things go wrong? I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. I'm scared this might lead to a meltdown but am trying to keep calm.

Yeah he is fine now, thanks. Just gave us all a scare!

Did you get on OK while you were out?

Your mum is right though I know its hard to ignore or walk away from situations like that, especially when you were close to them beforehand. I've had that happen a lot with old friendships. It sounds as though these friendships are causing you more distress than happiness and in your state right now, you need to try and avoid as much stress as you can, which is hard but you have to put your well being first and not really bother about other people at the moment.

Your mum is right though I know its hard to ignore or walk away from situations like that, especially when you were close to them beforehand. I've had that happen a lot with old friendships. It sounds as though these friendships are causing you more distress than happiness and in your state right now, you need to try and avoid as much stress as you can, which is hard but you have to put your well being first and not really bother about other people at the moment.

I went out with them tuesday, it was very awkward. I found out they have their own group chat - not bothered by it. I have decided that I'm not going to bend over backwards to be friends with them and just go to college to work. if they ask to hang out or go to lunch then I'll decide on the day.
I'm not upset by it at all. My parents are away for the weekend and I'm worried I might relapse into my OCD.
I've got films to watch and do some work, so hopefully i'll be relaxed and not stress, but I am feeling very anxious and scared that I may.

How are you?

Hey Spock's Socks,

I'm stressing out and don't know who else to talk to. Keep freaking out and stressing thinking something is wrong? What do I do? Im struggling to keep calm. How are you? Hope you are ok? :smile:
Reply 54
Hey Spock's Socks,

I'm stressing out and don't know who else to talk to. Keep freaking out and stressing thinking something is wrong? What do I do? Im struggling to keep calm. How are you? Hope you are ok? :smile:

I really recommend you join those forums I mentioned in the above posts, there are always people on those and would be good to talk to in a time like this. I don't use the sites as much as I used to but they helped me when I was at my worst. To keep calm, the best thing I can suggest is remove yourself from that situation if you can. Go for a bath or shower, go for a walk, watch TV or listen to music

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Little Popcorns
Most of your symptoms I have too, except the pill and three period thing and they affect me in a very similar way. From one minute to the next I can hardly focus on anything as there'll be some something rearing it's head. I obviously don't have THE answer but in terms of coping the best thing you can do it be kind to yourself, baby yourself. Sounds ridiculous but honestly when there's that much going on (a lot of stress) it's not time to speed up and start exposure therapy :tongue: it's time to slow down and treat yourself as kindly as possible.

Also when you get those feelings that are most overwhelming, purge! Purge on here or to someone on another MH forum or whoever you feel comfortable talking to without feeling like you're burdening them and they'll hate you for it :/. As in Samaritans or whatever. Honestly the best thing is getting rid of the feelings/airing them. Then rest :smile: and do something nice for yourself watch something you like or have a hot chocolate etc. Or if you're going out go for a short walk. Avoid unnecessary stress and then as you feel your strength/resilience bolstered by the rest and treating yourself well, then start to do a little more that you couldn't do before without becoming so completely overwhelmed. If that makes sense.

Hope that helps a bit :smile:

You and I are more similar than you think. Maybe that's why we clash so often.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EngStudent123
You and I are more similar than you think. Maybe that's why we clash so often.

Posted from TSR Mobile

PM me and tell me who you were in your former TSR life

Quick Reply

Latest