The Student Room Group

Opinions on Warwick, Manchester, Soton, Sheffield, Exeter, Liverpool, Reading for Law

Hey,

I was born in the UK and immigrated to Australia several years ago but am moving back home permanently to study law as an international applicant.

I got an ATAR of 95.30 (A*AABC) and am definitely applying for Nottingham, Newcastle, Leeds and York. I have one space left on my UCAS form and am not sure what to fill it with! I am hopeful for Nottingham/Newcastle/Leeds, but just want a fifth option as an extra option and safety net.

Any opinions/experiences on the pros and cons of law at:
Warwick
Manchester
Southampton
Sheffield
Exeter
Liverpool
Reading
would be greatly appreciated!

I live in Reading the uni it's self is a lovely place but I really don't feel safe at night.

I did a little work at Soton it has a pretty. nice campus it is also a really good student.city it has lots of clubs shops takeaways banks you can also find live music easily and there is a new cinema being built ment to open in October also unlike reading I feel safe at night there I highly recommend. Soton.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you have not had a chance to visit these Unis I suggest you look at their Open Day films on You Tube, and at the tourist films for each city. This will give you an idea of the sort of Uni it is, who goes there, and the things the Uni itself wants to sell itself on.

You also need to check the course content of each.Although its Law, the syllabus and teaching style will not be identical at each Uni. Also, think about extras like Study Abroad opportunities and any placements - these are very valuable for your CV/job hunting.

Finally - lots of TSR advice here about making Form / Insurance choices - the most important bit is that you have *months* to decide this, so no need to make any panicky decisions right now : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=16167-firm-and-insurance-choices
The best courses are respectively: Nottingham, York, Newcastle and then Leeds. Warwick would slide in nicely between Nottingham and York, in terms of respectability, and that would provide you with a decent alternative if you should get rejected from Nottingham.

I would suggest looking at tourist videos, videos of open days, even Google Street View.
Original post by sampirie
Hey,

I was born in the UK and immigrated to Australia several years ago but am moving back home permanently to study law as an international applicant.

I got an ATAR of 95.30 (A*AABC) and am definitely applying for Nottingham, Newcastle, Leeds and York. I have one space left on my UCAS form and am not sure what to fill it with! I am hopeful for Nottingham/Newcastle/Leeds, but just want a fifth option as an extra option and safety net.

Warwick
Manchester
Southampton
Sheffield
Exeter
Liverpool
Reading

If you are looking as a safety net Liverpool is realistically the only option. The others will require AAA. You could also look at Kent and Swansea who are likely to offer AAB as your safety net
Hey,

Warwick
Manchester
Southampton
Sheffield
Exeter
Liverpool
Reading

I study an economics course at Warwick and know that for economics/finance, Warwick is certainly the best there - resulting in it being a much better recruitment base for bankers etc.

Law seems to be good at Warwick, too, but I've got a feeling (no evidence I can think of though!) that Nottingham would be the best for law.
Reply 6
I would say Warwick and Exeter are the two best for you.
all the unis you have mentioned other than Liverpool want AAA. If you just want another option Warwick or Exeter will be best but neither of these will give you a safety net. Liverpool or Swansea will as they expect ABB
What do you guys think of Sheffield? I've heard some really positive things about the place despite their ranking in the league tables saying otherwise
Reply 9
What do you guys think of Sheffield? I've heard some really positive things about the place despite their ranking in the league tables saying otherwise

Yes, Sheffield is decent, but is below Exeter and Warwick.
Reply 10
I am doing Law at Manchester as of September but I would say Warwick or Exeter are a bit ahead of Manchester rep wise. Manchester is still respected for Law though. So any of those 3 as your final option is my opinion. Sheffield and Soton are not bad either, all are Russell Group unis.
Hey,

Warwick
Manchester
Southampton
Sheffield
Exeter
Liverpool
Reading

This is kind of irrelevant (sorry), but how did you manage to convert ATAR into A levels?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending