The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

UAL Interview. (University of the arts london)

hello,
has anyone ever had a ual interview? how does it feel? i'm really scared and i don't know what to do! thank you

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, I'm in the same position as you, my interview is tmrw and I have no clue how to feel but for portfolio based courses (not my field) a lot of people have told me that they mainly review you portfolios and then ask you questions based on it! But if you've applied to smth that does not require a portfolio like me then I've got nothing to advice you with except stay confident and prepare as much as you can by coming up with questions they may ask you then preparing answers, that's what I did! Good luck! x

Posted from TSR Mobile
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Anishask
Hey, I'm in the same position as you, my interview is tmrw and I have no clue how to feel but for portfolio based courses (not my field) a lot of people have told me that they mainly review you portfolios and then ask you questions based on it! But if you've applied to smth that does not require a portfolio like me then I've got nothing to advice you with except stay confident and prepare as much as you can by coming up with questions they may ask you then preparing answers, that's what I did! Good luck! x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, thank you for answering!
How was it? i'm pretty sure you did so well!
What things did they ask you? I did apply to a theory-based course.
x

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, came across this thread and saw this reply. :smile: I was wondering how did your interview go? What sort of questions did they ask? Was it a Skype interview? And was the interviewer friendly?
Reply 4
Original post by cherrydaisy
Hey, came across this thread and saw this reply. :smile: I was wondering how did your interview go? What sort of questions did they ask? Was it a Skype interview? And was the interviewer friendly?

Hey, it went well I got a place at LCF! It was face to face and she mainly asked me about my writing (I applied for Fashion Journalism) and why I chose the course and the university etc. She was friendly but when discussing CSM they can be very harsh and give off a very "you're not good enough" vibe which made things a lot more nerve wrecking. Incase you were wondering why we discussed CSM it was cause I originally applied for fashion journalism at CSM but she ended up giving me LCF as she thought it was better suited to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, it went well I got a place at LCF! It was face to face and she mainly asked me about my writing (I applied for Fashion Journalism) and why I chose the course and the university etc. She was friendly but when discussing CSM they can be very harsh and give off a very "you're not good enough" vibe which made things a lot more nerve wrecking. Incase you were wondering why we discussed CSM it was cause I originally applied for fashion journalism at CSM but she ended up giving me LCF as she thought it was better suited to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cogratulations on your offer!! :smile: What did she say exactly about CSM? Just like you, I applied to CSM and LCF too but CSM is my priority. And I feel like if I don't give her a satisfying answer about why I chose CSM, it would affect her consideration, etc.
Reply 6
Hi, I had my interview with LCF on friday for Fashion Pattern Cutting. It was really quick but they looked and complimented my work. Went through my portfolio pages first, them sketchbooks and technical file. They asked a few questions about the projects and what I liked/disliked and that was it.
They did want to see a finished garment though and I only had a sample with others photographed and styled.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
And I got an offer today

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by msxo
Hey, thank you for answering!
How was it? i'm pretty sure you did so well!
What things did they ask you? I did apply to a theory-based course.
x

Hey, I'm applying for fashion marketing this year at LCF and I was just wondering if they tell you whether you get in or not straight after the interview? My interview is next Thursday
Reply 9
Original post by Elena____
Hey, I'm applying for fashion marketing this year at LCF and I was just wondering if they tell you whether you get in or not straight after the interview? My interview is next Thursday

Hi Elena! It depends on which interview you're taking I think!!! Cause if you're local, your interview will be with a group of other kids at the school (i think). But if you're international, like me, I had my interview face to face with a rep who came down, and then she'll let you know of the outcome immediately after. I applied to the CSM foundation, but didnt get through. She offered a place at the CCW Foundation instead though haha! So yeah, it depends on where they feel you'll fit in best. :-)
Original post by kangruru
Hi Elena! It depends on which interview you're taking I think!!! Cause if you're local, your interview will be with a group of other kids at the school (i think). But if you're international, like me, I had my interview face to face with a rep who came down, and then she'll let you know of the outcome immediately after. I applied to the CSM foundation, but didnt get through. She offered a place at the CCW Foundation instead though haha! So yeah, it depends on where they feel you'll fit in best. :-)

Thanks for the help but I got in on Thursday already for fashion marketing at LCF! It was a telephone interview with a rep:smile:
Original post by msxo
hello,
has anyone ever had a ual interview? how does it feel? i'm really scared and i don't know what to do! thank you

I had an interview at Chelsea and it was quite relaxed. We had to sit in this room with other people (I was there for 45 minutes ffs) and then you are asked to go next door, where there was 4 tables - each with an interviewer and all you do is show them your portfolio and they ask you basic questions, basically describe your work and its context and process.

I didn't get an offer at Chelsea for Fine Art but they said on the spot they would offer me a place at Camberwell because I was my work was 80% sculpture. Also, I had an interview for CSM but couldn't be bothered going down to London again.

Good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
I had an interview in Camberwell (got an offer for painting) and we were taken to a room with two tutors to see one each. I felt that it was rushed, so you had to take control and don't waste much time thinking. Make sure you show your strongest work and have something to say about the context. It was over in 10 minutes.

CSM was slightly different, as there were more of us being interviewed at the same time - each by one tutor. It was very releaxed and informal - show your passion, know the cultural context, know your own practice and methods.
My interview was for BA fine art, so one thing I can share is that the interviewing tutors note down predicted pathway straight away (2D, 3D, 4D, XD) and then will divide you into prospective groups in October. No need to stress much, as there's some flexibility and you can change your pathway if it doesn't feel right.
(edited 8 years ago)
hello!
To everyone waiting to hear for interviews goodluck! has anyone applied for MFA here?
Reply 14
How long do you wait to hear back from the university? On whether you have an offer or not?
Reply 15
Hey, is there anyone on this thread that may have known of someone getting into the fashion design womenswear course at csm without the face to face interview? I had a portfolio review yesterday but I was asked to take my work home rather than be asked any questions about it as they said this was because they didn't need to enquire anything but doesn't mean it's a decline. I'm unsure if this is just them saying that it's a decline in a nicer way, but I would rather know where I stand! If anyone can expand of this that would be great. thanks :smile: p.s csm had always been my dream and I feel so comfortable there I was truly gutted
Reply 16
Original post by Aregirl
Hey, is there anyone on this thread that may have known of someone getting into the fashion design womenswear course at csm without the face to face interview? I had a portfolio review yesterday but I was asked to take my work home rather than be asked any questions about it as they said this was because they didn't need to enquire anything but doesn't mean it's a decline. I'm unsure if this is just them saying that it's a decline in a nicer way, but I would rather know where I stand! If anyone can expand of this that would be great. thanks :smile: p.s csm had always been my dream and I feel so comfortable there I was truly gutted

Hello ☺️ I had an interview the same day too! Not even sure how it had gone but was absolutely gutted when they sent me home.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I applied for the MA in Art Conservation. Had my interview today, over the phone. I'm worried that I didn't get an answer while I was speaking to her.
Hello :smile: I applied for the BA Photography course. Is there someone who can tell me what questions could they ask me and when will they tell me their decision?
Hi, I am going to an interview for this today- have you had yours? if so, how was it? any tips?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending