The Student Room Group

GCSE Edexcel Music Composition

I'm doing my minimalist composition for music and I've added as many things in as I can! I've finished and when I asked my teacher to check it she said it would be a high B/low A....I've included: phasing, dynamics, key change and a ABA kind of structure. My teacher said there is nothing I can really improve on without drastically changing anything, she said there are a lot of quaver rhythms..its mainly quaver rhythms.

Any advice on how to boost my grade up even more? Thanks!
Original post by IttsmeAA
I'm doing my minimalist composition for music and I've added as many things in as I can! I've finished and when I asked my teacher to check it she said it would be a high B/low A....I've included: phasing, dynamics, key change and a ABA kind of structure. My teacher said there is nothing I can really improve on without drastically changing anything, she said there are a lot of quaver rhythms..its mainly quaver rhythms.

Any advice on how to boost my grade up even more? Thanks!

Have you tried rhythmic displacement? I'd suggest looking at the techniques Steve Reich uses in his Electric Counterpoint as some sort of guide. Plus, maybe listen to other people's minimalist compositions on youtube to see what they did to give them the edge, which you perhaps didn't do.
Reply 2
Original post by TSRian123454321
Have you tried rhythmic displacement? I'd suggest looking at the techniques Steve Reich uses in his Electric Counterpoint as some sort of guide. Plus, maybe listen to other people's minimalist compositions on youtube to see what they did to give them the edge, which you perhaps didn't do.

What's rhythmic displacement? And yep, I'll try and do that in my next lesson!
What's rhythmic displacement? And yep, I'll try and do that in my next lesson!

It's basically when you have a melody or riff, then you shift it to another beat of the bar so that it starts at a different beat of the bar then carries on. You could have one instrument playing the original melody, while another instrument plays it three beats later, for example.
Reply 4
It's basically when you have a melody or riff, then you shift it to another beat of the bar so that it starts at a different beat of the bar then carries on. You could have one instrument playing the original melody, while another instrument plays it three beats later, for example.

Ohhh okay! So kind of similar to phasing? I get it though! I'll try and incorporate it into my work! Thankyou! :smile:
Ohhh okay! So kind of similar to phasing? I get it though! I'll try and incorporate it into my work! Thankyou! :smile:

No problem :biggrin:

Sorry that I couldn't help you much more - the compositions I'm doing/ I did are jazz and classical, nothing like yours.
Reply 6
No problem :biggrin:

Sorry that I couldn't help you much more - the compositions I'm doing/ I did are jazz and classical, nothing like yours.

Oh no no that's fine! Any help is appreciated! Ooh! I love Jazz, I bet it sounds amazing! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest