The Student Room Group

which a level combo is best

1. econ, geography, poltics
2. business, media, geography
3. econ, film, geography
these are my main three im also considering french (but i would have to sacrifice econ to do it and need a 7 in french which i probs won’t get), pyschology (looks interesting but worried it may be similar to sociology which i did for gcse and then dropped cause i really hated it) and music tech (cause im really passionate about music but didnt do it at gcse)
(edited 11 months ago)
do you know what you want to do with these A levels like what course you want to do?

Original post by Eaterwheat
3. econ, film, geography
these are my main three im also considering french (but i would have to sacrifice econ to do it and need a 7 in french which i probs won’t get), pyschology (looks interesting but worried it may be similar to sociology which i did for gcse and then dropped cause i really hated it) and music tech (cause im really passionate about music but didnt do it at gcse)
Reply 2
yeah like business specifically marketing

None are better than the others for that, so just pick whichever is most interesting specifically to you and that you think you'll do best in out of those combinations listed.

Business courses don’t generally require specific a levels so just choose whatever u want and think you will enjoy/ do well in
Reply 5
3. econ, film, geography

Hi there,

I'm a year 13 doing Economics, Geography and Music Tech so I can help you with those subjects.

Economics is quite interesting however it is probably the subject I personally dislike the most. That's mainly because I'm not interested in the UK economy and I never really understood the subject. However, a large majority of people in my econ class are going to uni to study something to do with econ or business. Loads of people enjoy but it's not for me. Also, economics is one of the highest paid degrees if you're intersted in making the most money possible. There are a lot of diagrams to know and A LOT of essays which would be set for me as weekly homework in year 13. It is important to keep up with the current news as it may be one of the context questions in the exam and you can use them as your own examples. In total I really didn't get to grips with economics and I can't wait to finish it but loads of people really enjoy it.

I really enjoyed geography at GCSE and it was one of my highest grades (8). It's basically just a more intense GCSE course with wayyyyy more content on top of what you learnt at GCSE. It can be fun but if you have a boring teacher then the lessons will drag on. Only a few people in my geography class are going to uni to study it. If you're big into sustainability then there is a big job market out there for it so it may be of interest. Plus a good geography degree can pay well. One of my geography teachers used to work on oil extraction ships which paid very good. The only downside is that you'll have to do an NEA which nobody liked doing in my class and depending on your school you'll either get loads of dedicated lessons on it or no help at all. Basically geography A Levels is way more difficult than GCSE and most people in my class can't wait to never study it again. But it is a good subject for applying to uni as it shows you have skills to conduct your own research and work with data as well as understanding different cultures and views around the world.

Music Tech is my favourite subject and I've applied to study Sound Design at Falmouth Uni. I did Music GCSE but music tech is completely different so don't worry that you didn't do it at GCSE. 40% of it is coursework. You'll make an original composition and record a cover of a song of your choice from a list of 10 artists. I really enjoy the subject which makes it easy for me. I barely revise and get good grades from it however you will need to be passionate about it if you want to succeed. It is obvious that most of the year 12's at my school chose it because they thought it would be a fun messing around lesson which shows with their grades which aren't great. Just a heads up that the edexcel exam board are really lazy with music tech. The specification is really flakey and they were late at posting our coursework briefs by a good few weeks. I would reccomend if you choose it to have an understanding of DAWs before September (maybe even ask the course teacher what specific DAW they use) by watching loads of introductionary YouTube videos on them. My course used Logic Pro X which is Mac only which was a bummer as I had a Windows laptop so I could only work on Logic on the school iMacs but I later upraded to a macbook.

I liked my combination as it combined 2 academic subjects with a creative one which put less stress on me. It is completely your choice though and I would reccomend you go with what you're passionate about and not what others want you to do. My parents persuaded me to do Maths but I swapped it before I even started the course because I knew I wouldn't enjoy it. You may also want to consider whether you prefer coursework or exams becasue some subjects are heavily coursework based (40% for Music Tech) and some are 100% written exams (Economics). And remeber if you don't like the subject you can change it in the first few weeks of sixth form.

Sorry that was very long but I hope that helped you learn more about those subjects. Final top tip for A Levels: Revise. It'll save you the stress I'm currently going through.

Quick Reply

Latest