The Student Room Group

Geoscience & Geology 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by darkeeveee
My predicted grades are A*AA hahaha they haven't given me an offer yet ;_; I'm international hahaha
Good luck on the interview btw!!

Thank you I'm sure it's more of a chat because they've already sent me an offer. I'm not sure how it works being international but I'm sure you'll get an offer soon enough.
Original post by iwachan
anyone applying for imperial received their offer? I just got an interview coming and I never study geology (or Geography) before and I have mentioned it in my ps. So what i can prepare for the interview? Thanks.

There's not really a huge amount you can do to prepare, just make sure you're able to demonstrate your interest and aptitude in the subject. They're not going to assume any knowledge that you couldn't reasonably be expected to have.
Reply 402
Original post by Plagioclase
There's not really a huge amount you can do to prepare, just make sure you're able to demonstrate your interest and aptitude in the subject. They're not going to assume any knowledge that you couldn't reasonably be expected to have.

Thanks. I will try to do my best:biggrin::biggrin: I really want to get into imperial:biggrin:
Reply 403
Hi guys I've got a offer to study geology at masters level at imperial college London (of which I've met the conditions of). My plan is hopefully to complete the geology degree to a bachelors and then complete a masters program at imperial college in petroleum engineering. I understand this question must have been asked a million times but still I would be really grateful if I could get some guidance in terms of employability and earnings. I don't plan to be a millionaire but at least live comfortably and earn a decent salary. What are the job prospects and what not?

P.S. I've never studied geology/geography at any level and went into the interview with information which I revised on my way via train (literally gcse stuff like the 3 different types of rocks and stuff so don't be too alarmed and just work on how you sell yourself to the university)

Thanks in advance
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi, I got an offer from Liecester for geology for 2016 entry:smile: I was wondering if anyone has studied or is studying there to give me any opinion of how they thought it was there :biggrin: I was thinking of applying to UCL for adjustment after results day but I really like Leicester and the campus :smile:
Reply 405
Original post by nadi_didi
Hi, I got an offer from Liecester for geology for 2016 entry:smile: I was wondering if anyone has studied or is studying there to give me any opinion of how they thought it was there :biggrin: I was thinking of applying to UCL for adjustment after results day but I really like Leicester and the campus :smile:
i don't recommend Leicester, I got an offer there but they don't seem good on paper
Original post by Rftra
i don't recommend Leicester, I got an offer there but they don't seem good on paper

Do you recommend any Unis ? :smile:
Original post by nadi_didi

Original post by Rftra

If you liked Leicester and the campus, it sounds like a good choice to me. I'm not entirely sure why you're saying it "doesn't seem good on paper" but there are more important things than league table rankings.
If you liked Leicester and the campus, it sounds like a good choice to me. I'm not entirely sure why you're saying it "doesn't seem good on paper" but there are more important things than league table rankings.

I'd like to echo Plagioclases' sentiment.

My university was in the top 10 for Geology on my year of joining. The lecturers and teaching standard was excellent. Most of them actively engaged in research at the highest level, however, now it's dropped out of the top 10 and gone down significantly. I have absolutely no idea why! I don't study all geology modules, so that doesn't help, but still!

So yeah, uni rankings really do not mean a lot.

Edit: Oh, and my university has great ties with industry, mid sized - big companies regularly come in and do talks, and offer many 'networking' opportunities where we can hand in CVs, talk to recent graduates etc. Brilliant graduate prospects, although the 'stats' might not reflect this.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 409
Original post by MountKimbie
I'd like to echo Plagioclases' sentiment.

My university was in the top 10 for Geology on my year of joining. The lecturers and teaching standard was excellent. Most of them actively engaged in research at the highest level, however, now it's dropped out of the top 10 and gone down significantly. I have absolutely no idea why! I don't study all geology modules, so that doesn't help, but still!

So yeah, uni rankings really do not mean a lot.

Edit: Oh, and my university has great ties with industry, mid sized - big companies regularly come in and do talks, and offer many 'networking' opportunities where we can hand in CVs, talk to recent graduates etc. Brilliant graduate prospects, although the 'stats' might not reflect this.

Out of interest, which university is this?
To answer the book question, here are some general ones I enjoyed:

The Goldilocks Planet (Zalasiwicz) - a clearly written introduction to the history of the life, the planet and its climate

How to build a Habitable Planet (Langmuir & Broecker) - a pretty comprehensive narrative of the history of the planet, a bit more complex though (roughly first-year degree level) - good though

The Two-Mile Time Machine (Alley) - a great introduction to paleoclimatology

The Earth: An intimate history (Fortey) - sort of feels like a mix between a travel book and natural history. Bit too wordy for me, lots of people like it though.

Earth Story (Lamb & Sington) - a good general introduction into geology for people who haven't studied it before, with lots of good diagrams. You can get it very cheaply second hand.

I know what you mean about The Earth: An intimate history by Richard Fortey. It was dreadfully wordy- my teacher lended me the book to read. He seemed to enjoy it though.
Have you read The Periodic Table by Primo Levi- its a chemistry book (I enjoy chemistry) but also has links to mining and geology whilst telling you an inspiring WW2 survival story.
Original post by Inam97
Hi guys I've got a offer to study geology at masters level at imperial college London (of which I've met the conditions of). My plan is hopefully to complete the geology degree to a bachelors and then complete a masters program at imperial college in petroleum engineering. I understand this question must have been asked a million times but still I would be really grateful if I could get some guidance in terms of employability and earnings. I don't plan to be a millionaire but at least live comfortably and earn a decent salary. What are the job prospects and what not?

P.S. I've never studied geology/geography at any level and went into the interview with information which I revised on my way via train (literally gcse stuff like the 3 different types of rocks and stuff so don't be too alarmed and just work on how you sell yourself to the university)

Thanks in advance

Hi, I've got an imperial interview for geology masters this year. Sooo i couldn't resist asking you this! What was the interview like? Did they ask you to identify certain rock samples?
Reply 412
Original post by Retropattern
Hi, I've got an imperial interview for geology masters this year. Sooo i couldn't resist asking you this! What was the interview like? Did they ask you to identify certain rock samples?

Hi there, Yh the gave me 3 different samples of rock and asked me to give as much detail I can about the Rock and where it could be possibly be found .

The interview was very good for myself. I personally think I've got a good amount of self confidence and I just became really friendly with the interview who was also quite nice tbf. Surprisingly the interviewer did read through my PS quite thoroughly which if am being honest wasn't expecting. He did know quite abit about myself.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Inam97
Hi there, Yh the gave me 3 different samples of rock and asked me to give as much detail I can about the Rock and where it could be possibly be found .

The interview was very good for myself. I personally think I've got a good amount of self confidence and I just became really friendly with the interview who was also quite nice tbf. Surprisingly the interviewer did read through my PS quite thoroughly which if am being honest wasn't expecting. He did know quite abit about myself.

Ah! Easy one. I should of applied to Imperial.
Reply 414
Ah! Easy one. I should of applied to Imperial.

That was just part of it though some of the Qs consisted of getting a sample of rock and describing how it was formed. Those were the academic Qs and most of them were related to your personal qualities which would be akin to those of a good (prospective imperial) student.
Original post by Inam97
That was just part of it though some of the Qs consisted of getting a sample of rock and describing how it was formed. Those were the academic Qs and most of them were related to your personal qualities which would be akin to those of a good (prospective imperial) student.

I've studied quite a lot of Geology already, still easy :wink:
I've been at university for 3 years now so describing rock samples/proposing how it could of been formed is the very basics of what you learn at uni. A systematic approach works best!

Did they give you something sedimentary/igneous? Metamorphic would be a little harder..
Reply 416
I've studied quite a lot of Geology already, still easy :wink:
I've been at university for 3 years now so describing rock samples/proposing how it could of been formed is the very basics of what you learn at uni. A systematic approach works best!

Did they give you something sedimentary/igneous? Metamorphic would be a little harder..

Oh ok then it would have been a breeze for you then. They gave one of each.

Btw out of interest which uni are you attending and in terms of prospects how is it after the degree, I mean how is the networking and do employees like BP and shell come to the universidtes for talks?
Original post by Inam97
Oh ok then it would have been a breeze for you then. They gave one of each.

Btw out of interest which uni are you attending and in terms of prospects how is it after the degree, I mean how is the networking and do employees like BP and shell come to the universidtes for talks?

I can't really disclose the university for privacy reasons, but yes they certainly do visit. Networking is great, graduate prospects are great, for proactive individuals. Attending university without bulking up your CV is not enough in this climate (unless you are lucky). We have graduates at both Shell and BP. Smaller - mid size companies come as well.

Recent graduates who have landed jobs attend network seminars too.
Reply 418
I can't really disclose the university for privacy reasons, but yes they certainly do visit. Networking is great, graduate prospects are great, for proactive individuals. Attending university without bulking up your CV is not enough in this climate (unless you are lucky). We have graduates at both Shell and BP. Smaller - mid size companies come as well.

Recent graduates who have landed jobs attend network seminars too.

That's sounds really great. One of the issues I find is that I hear loads of geology grads not getting rewarding jobs. Am those people that love my extra curricular and work experience and I actively do it to bulk up my CV. I have plans to do internships to boost my career. I would really love to work in industry after completing a MSC in petroleum geoscience or petroleum engineering, depending if I get a 1st or not. Thanks for the info tho. Also from your opinion what is the average salary after obtaining a grad job after 6months realistically??

P.S. Am hoping to go ICL so the salary would be abit high because it's London.

P.S.S. You don't sound like a student but more like a staff member at a university????
Original post by Inam97

Thank you!!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending