The Student Room Group

The Cricket Society IV

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mackay
Devastating spell by Rabada. Don't get me wrong: England haven't helped themselves. That wild stroke from Taylor was probably the worst of the bunch, but SA have quite the talent on their hands.

Original post by Louis.
Rabada is something else

Thoughts on Alex Hales? Should he continue as opener or go back/find another one?
Reply 621
Original post by moment of truth
Thoughts on Alex Hales? Should he continue as opener or go back/find another one?

He needs to have time invested in him. This endless merry-go-round is helping nobody - least of all Cook.

It is worth remembering Hales is now the eighth man to try and partner the captain since the retirement of Andrew Strauss.

You could replace him with Compton, who - in my view, at least - would be a more suitable opener, but I doubt that'll happen, and if you bomb out Hales when he hasn't looked drastically out of his depth, who comes in? None of the other options have been untested - and neither greatly appeals to me, be it Robson or Lyth.
Original post by moment of truth

Would give him the whole summer.

We're in a good place. The only change I'd make is getting Finn back in when he's fit.
Reply 623
Usman Khawaja overlooked for Australia's ODI tour of New Zealand. What is with those selectors? He has dominated the BBL.

His last 9 innings: 174, 9*, 121, 109*, 144, 56, 62, 104*, 70

14-man squad:
S Smith, D Warner, G Bailey, S Boland, J Faulkner, A Finch, J Hastings, J Hazlewood, M Marsh, S Marsh, G Maxwell, K Richardson, M Wade, A Zampa.
Original post by Mackay
He needs to have time invested in him. This endless merry-go-round is helping nobody - least of all Cook.

It is worth remembering Hales is now the eighth man to try and partner the captain since the retirement of Andrew Strauss.

You could replace him with Compton, who - in my view, at least - would be a more suitable opener, but I doubt that'll happen, and if you bomb out Hales when he hasn't looked drastically out of his depth, who comes in? None of the other options have been untested - and neither greatly appeals to me, be it Robson or Lyth.

Original post by Louis.
Would give him the whole summer.

We're in a good place. The only change I'd make is getting Finn back in when he's fit.

Let's see if the selectors believe the same. He definitely deserves more time.
Reply 625
Khawaja didn't even make the top five in BBL player of the tournament votes.

Lynn won it on 22 votes, with Adil Rashid (17 votes), Mahela Jayawardena (15), Travis Head (14), Aaron Finch (12) completing the top five.

Head won the young player award.
Mahela? Didn't even hear much about him in the tournament.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Only Pakistan can initiate a death grip and slowly let go. Pathetic bowling after the half-way mark.

Posted from TSR Mobile
From 99-6 to 280... hope McClenaghan is okay too, looked bad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Still around 57 overs today + all of tomorrow. SA with a lead of 283 now.. how many is enough before they declare/accelerate?
Reply 630
McClenaghan went straight to hospital and posted a picture on Twitter. Doesn't look pretty.

NZ were massively let off the hook, in truth. Amir was the pick of the Pakistan bowlers for sure - and that's a heck of a feat given it was his first match back. Three wickets for 28 are figures not to be sniffed at.

They needed to go for the jugular when he had them on top, in truth. NZ shouldn't have got near 200 after being reduced to 99-6. Henry Nicholls batted superbly and bravely, though.

Once that happened, you sensed that Pakistan's momentum and belief had all but evaporated - and it's tough when going out to bat against world-class seamers like Boult after knowing you could have made life so much easier for your team by setting a reasonable target.

Boult and Elliott impressed - but it's a big missed opportunity for Pakistan.
Reply 631
England set 382 to win - a Centurion record. Time for Hales to really make his mark by playing his natural, explosive game.
Original post by Mackay
England set 382 to win - a Centurion record. Time for Hales to really make his mark by playing his natural, explosive game.

Well he's out for 1 run..
Reply 633
Original post by Mackay

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hales flops. Then against Sri Lanka in the summer he will thrash their trundlers to boost his average back to 40s. People will think he has turned a corner, then he'll flop against pakistan, then he'll be dropped and forgotten. No point sending him to Australia, starc and co will love having him to bowl at.

Can't remember if it was you telling me hales was a special talent back in the summer? 6 odd months later and his record in both formats still looks awful, guy is nothing but a flop version of sehwag/mccullum/warner.
Cook out too. Not looking great at 8/2 with potentially 106 overs still to go..

Start singing for some rain?
Reply 635
Compton: what on Earth are you thinking? That's the worst shot of the lot - even eclipsing Taylor's wild swing yesterday.
And... Root survives.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pakistan's team in colours are poor - to let NZ off the hook suggests (as I went to bed when NZ were four wickets down) poor captaincy to allow NZ back to set a competitive total but Pakistan's batting is the same old, same old. Amir's figures impressive - his first over was rusty due to the wind but amazed he didn't bowl out his overs - think he had a niggle.
Original post by Aky786UK
Pakistan's team in colours are poor - to let NZ off the hook suggests (as I went to bed when NZ were four wickets down) poor captaincy to allow NZ back to set a competitive total but Pakistan's batting is the same old, same old. Amir's figures impressive - his first over was rusty due to the wind but amazed he didn't bowl out his overs - think he had a niggle.

It's only his first game (50 Over) and he's already looking more lethal than Anwar and Wahab, the latter was extremely poor. When teams are chasing 260-300 with ease, I'd be surprised if Pak can make 240 batting first.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 639
Plenty suggest that SA batted for too long, but I don't think they did. They are being proven right with our batting collapse, of course, but any thoughts that ABDV was too slow in calling for the declaration was false.

We've seen the likes of Cook, Stokes and Root all smash the ball around, and they probably felt Moeen and Taylor - not to mention Bairstow - were also dangerous.

This series has presented England with questions regarding the top three. I like Compton, but his shot today was repulsive and he has got worse as the series has progressed. Hales? Well, that debate is for another time. I've said all I have to say on that.

In this series, Cook/Hales/Compton are averaging 23, 17 and 30 respectively. Not good enough.

Woakes is nowhere near Test level, either. Get rid.

Quick Reply

Latest