The Student Room Group

Denmark is stealing the belongings of refugees through new law.

Danish MPs have passed a law that will allow the confiscation of refugees' valuables to help pay for their stay.

The controversial legislation also delays some families being reunified for up to 3 years but has been condemned by the United Nations and other human rights organisations.

It follows similar moves by politicians in Switzerland and southern Germany, meaning police will have licence to search asylum-seekers on arrival in the country with the power to confiscate any non-essential items worth more than 10,000 Danish kroner (around £1,000) so long as they have no sentimental value.

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2016...ushpmg00000067

This article makes me sick. Europe has lots anything that resembles humanity....

Scroll to see replies

we expect people to contribute to the state when they can

this is not new nor 'discriminatory'
Original post by Danny McCoyne
Danish MPs have passed a law that will allow the confiscation of refugees' valuables to help pay for their stay.

The controversial legislation also delays some families being reunified for up to 3 years but has been condemned by the United Nations and other human rights organisations.

It follows similar moves by politicians in Switzerland and southern Germany, meaning police will have licence to search asylum-seekers on arrival in the country with the power to confiscate any non-essential items worth more than 10,000 Danish kroner (around £1,000) so long as they have no sentimental value.

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2016...ushpmg00000067

This article makes me sick. Europe has lots anything that resembles humanity....

If they cost money, why shouldnt they pay for it via their valuables?
Original post by BaconandSauce
we expect people to contribute to the state when they can

this is not new nor 'discriminatory'

Except, these guys are running away from a war and are not comparable to regular citizens who receive support from welfare. You want to threat them like a citizen? Make them citizen.
The Huffington Post
Amendments were made, including raising the value of items the asylum-seekers can keep up from 3,000 kroner (£300). That brings it in line with welfare rules for Danes, who must sell assets worth more than 10,000 kroner before they can receive social benefits.

The money raised from refugees' personal possessions will go to cover the cost of their treatment by the state, mimicking how native welfare claimants contribute to their own benefits.

This has been the way Denmark has dealt with welfare for years. You can't turn this into a case of white-on-black/brown racism, but nice try anyway.
(edited 8 years ago)
Except, these guys are running away from a war and are not comparable to regular citizens who receive support from welfare. You want to threat them like a citizen? Make them citizen.

Nothing is free

It's not to much to ask those who can pay to pay.
This is already the law for Danish nationals. They are simply treating refugees the same way they treat their own people - you could say that not doing so would be discriminatory in fact.
Original post by Hydeman
This has been the way Denmark has dealt with welfare for years. You can't turn this into a case of white-on-black/brown racism, but nice try anyway.

laws can be stupid. This is one of them. This right-wing (far right to some) government of Denmark is pulling more and more ******** each passing day. If an immigrant have all of the rights a citizen have, save voting and some other citizen-exclusive rights, this decision can be justified. Is that the case? Denmark should make sure they provide high quality shelter for refugees if they aim to seize valuables.
Original post by Hydeman

He hasn't given up yet
Original post by infairverona
This is already the law for Danish nationals. They are simply treating refugees the same way they treat their own people - you could say that not doing so would be discriminatory in fact.

It's a matter of perspective. Denmark is a rich country and the small amount of refugees they took can not be inconvenient to them. I have a feeling that if it was whites immigrating, they wouldn't pass such law. Considering it may not be easy to seize jewelry and what not, discouraging the immigrants to come Denmark seems like the primary reason of this law
Denmark should make sure they provide high quality shelter for refugees if they aim to seize valuables.

They should provide the best that can be paid for by the revenue raised from the seizures, yes.
It's a matter of perspective. Denmark is a rich country and the small amount of refugees they took can not be inconvenient to them. I have a feeling that if it was whites immigrating, they wouldn't pass such law. Considering it may not be easy to seize jewelry and what not, discouraging the immigrants to come Denmark seems like the primary reason of this law

So what? They're a rich country because they don't just let in anyone and everyone. They naturally want to protect that. I would like us to be more like Denmark to be honest.
Reply 12
Strange that Denmark has a completely different politics on migrants than Sweden.
discouraging the immigrants to come Denmark seems like the primary reason of this law

Nothing wrong with that.
I have a feeling that if it was whites immigrating, they wouldn't pass such law.

There's a surprise. :rolleyes:

Feelings =/= facts.
Original post by infairverona
So what? They're a rich country because they don't just let in anyone and everyone. They naturally want to protect that. I would like us to be more like Denmark to be honest.

Denmark is going to take care of them even if they are completely broke. Moving on, these people are refugees. They may not be planning to stay in Denmark and technically Denmark is entitled to deport them once the war is over. Given the situation in Syria, the wisest move for a Syrian is to transform immovable assets to movable assets. The refugees do not have to give them to Denmark in exchange for having shelter.

They are not that inconvenienced, not even remotely close. Germany (up to a certain degree), Turkey, Jordan are inconvenienced, economically. Not Denmark. Why put such ******** forward? It's not like they're gonna kick you out if you don't have anything valuable, those who have something may have sold their assets in Syria. A government can not claim those, from a humanitarian perspective. If you consider this from a purely economical perspective, why take refugees in the first place? This decision makes no sense to me
Although I am of the opinion that people should sell their assets before they seek help from the State, it is rendered unfair in a country where many of the very rich people hardly contribute to the state.

If everyone paid their taxes fairly, without resorting to avoidance schemes, then I would have no issue in supporting the policy.

But such a system, in it's current form, will simply ease more assets into the hands of the very wealthy, at the expense of the poor.
Reply 17
Every country to their own ...
Where is the humanity of the USA in all of this?
How many Syrians have they taken?
Denmark is going to take care of them even if they are completely broke. Moving on, these people are refugees. They may not be planning to stay in Denmark and technically Denmark is entitled to deport them once the war is over. Given the situation in Syria, the wisest move for a Syrian is to transform immovable assets to movable assets. The refugees do not have to give them to Denmark in exchange for having shelter.

They are not that inconvenienced, not even remotely close. Germany (up to a certain degree), Turkey, Jordan are inconvenienced, economically. Not Denmark. Why put such ******** forward? It's not like they're gonna kick you out if you don't have anything valuable, those who have something may have sold their assets in Syria. A government can not claim those, from a humanitarian perspective. If you consider this from a purely economical perspective, why take refugees in the first place? This decision makes no sense to me

I think it's a way to deter refugees. I imagine there's a lot of pressure to take refugees seeing as the whole of Europe is being pressured to do so, and with Sweden next door this is more pressing. But refugees who want to get into Denmark may think twice knowing they have to give up their stuff and so will stay in Sweden instead (I presume).
Original post by BaconandSauce
Nothing wrong with that.

There's something wrong with 'that' when they are stealing people's assets in exchange for squalid living conditions and contemptuous treatment. Using this so-called law as a veil is extremely cowardly and anti-humanitarian.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending