The Student Room Group

Asylum seeker status transition to refugee status

Hello, I have applied for Asylum in the UK and I am waiting to be granted Refugee Status. I also applied to study at the university and the uni i applied considers me Home Student so charges me Home fee rate. I am currently self funding my education for the year 23/24. My question is if incase I am granted Refugee status next year. Will I become eligible for student finance on my second year of study or do I have to keep self funding for the whole course?
Original post by marklearns
Hello, I have applied for Asylum in the UK and I am waiting to be granted Refugee Status. I also applied to study at the university and the uni i applied considers me Home Student so charges me Home fee rate. I am currently self funding my education for the year 23/24. My question is if incase I am granted Refugee status next year. Will I become eligible for student finance on my second year of study or do I have to keep self funding for the whole course?

Hi there,

Yes, if you get Refugee Status this normally means you'll be entitled to funding from us, so you won't need to self-fund the rest of course.

Do you know when you'll hear back about being granted Refugee Status?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 2
Dear Graeme,

Thank you so much for your response. There is a chance that I would be granted Refugee status before the end of this year. I am wondering when is the latest I can apply for student finance to be eligible for support for this current year. Also, what happens incase I am granted status midway through the first year?

I would appreciate any information regarding this.

Best regards
Mark

Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

Yes, if you get Refugee Status this normally means you'll be entitled to funding from us, so you won't need to self-fund the rest of course.

Do you know when you'll hear back about being granted Refugee Status?

Thanks, Graeme
Dear Graeme,

Thank you so much for your response. There is a chance that I would be granted Refugee status before the end of this year. I am wondering when is the latest I can apply for student finance to be eligible for support for this current year. Also, what happens incase I am granted status midway through the first year?

I would appreciate any information regarding this.

Best regards
Mark

Hi Mark,

You can apply up to 9 months after the start of the academic year of the course. If you gain a new status part way through the academic year, you can post your evidence to us to confirm your eligibility.

Thanks, Clare
Reply 4
Hi Clare,
Thank you for your response. I was granted Refugee Status two weeks ago and now I am waiting to receive my BRP. It normally takes 10 days to receive BRP but it's been longer than that. Can I use the Home Office decision letter to apply for Student Finance? Is the status grant letter not enough? I am afraid that it would be too late until my BRP comes and might cause problems with university fee payment.

Is there any solutions? I appreciate any advice

Best regards
Mark
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi Mark,

You can apply up to 9 months after the start of the academic year of the course. If you gain a new status part way through the academic year, you can post your evidence to us to confirm your eligibility.

Thanks, Clare
Hi Clare,
Thank you for your response. I was granted Refugee Status two weeks ago and now I am waiting to receive my BRP. It normally takes 10 days to receive BRP but it's been longer than that. Can I use the Home Office decision letter to apply for Student Finance? Is the status grant letter not enough? I am afraid that it would be too late until my BRP comes and might cause problems with university fee payment.

Is there any solutions? I appreciate any advice

Best regards
Mark

Hi Mark,

We'd need to see your BRP card anyway since we need to see some proof: we can't accept the Home Office decision letter only as proof, unfortunately.

Just to confirm, have you made an application with us online yet?

Thanks, Graeme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending