The Student Room Group

Anyone heard from Oxford yet?

It's stressing me out so much seeing interview invites for biochem and stuff :frown: Has anyone heard back from Oxford for law interviews or know when they are gonna reply?
probably next week, I found out on the 22nd of November (I applied two years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Username123ab
probably next week, I found out on the 22nd of November (I applied two years ago)

Ahh okay, that's reassuring,,, are you at Oxford rn or some other uni, if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by 5starmichelin
Ahh okay, that's reassuring,,, are you at Oxford rn or some other uni, if you don't mind me asking?

I'm currently in second year at Oxford
Reply 4
I'm currently in second year at Oxford

Thats so cool 😲 how are you finding your modules and classes?
Thats so cool 😲 how are you finding your modules and classes?

Coming to Oxford was definitely a shock at first as you go from having around 10 classes a week for A levels to only having 1-2 tutorials here (lectures are optional and you'll generally find only about 20-30 out of the 100s of law students go to them lol) but once I got used to the volume of independent study I started really enjoy working independently and to my own schedule.

In first year you'll do criminal, Roman and constitutional. Roman is a weird one because you spend most of time wondering why you're learning about ancient romans stealing horses and stuff but it's probably the easiest module because there's no caselaw to read. Criminal is extremely interesting and is most people's favourite and constit is one of the modules you'll either love or hate, depending on how into politics you are.

Tutorials feel weird at first because its just you and 1 or 2 other people and the tutor but they're not nearly as scary as Oxford related media makes them seem, tutors aren't expecting you to know everything and most are fine with you making mistakes but almost everyone will have a horrible tutor at some point, it's like an Oxford rite of passage, mine was for constitutional in second term. Laughing at her/the things she said to me with other people in my college made me realise it wasn't me who was doing badly, that's just how she was and stopped me getting too disheartened though.

This term I'm doing trusts and tort. Tort is very similar to criminal so tends to be quite easy to follow because it makes sense that the law would be what it is and a lot of it can be deduced by common sense. Trusts is a weird one again, I hadn't even really heard of a trust until the start of this term but even with modules you're initially clueless about, you quickly get the hang of, especially after getting used to Oxford's method of teaching and I'm actually finding myself really enjoying trusts. Even if you hate a module in the first week or two, don't write it off and stop trying (I kinda did that with constit last year lol) because the academic validation/doing well always feel so much better, for me at least, when it's in a module I felt hopeless about at the start
Reply 6
Coming to Oxford was definitely a shock at first as you go from having around 10 classes a week for A levels to only having 1-2 tutorials here (lectures are optional and you'll generally find only about 20-30 out of the 100s of law students go to them lol) but once I got used to the volume of independent study I started really enjoy working independently and to my own schedule.

In first year you'll do criminal, Roman and constitutional. Roman is a weird one because you spend most of time wondering why you're learning about ancient romans stealing horses and stuff but it's probably the easiest module because there's no caselaw to read. Criminal is extremely interesting and is most people's favourite and constit is one of the modules you'll either love or hate, depending on how into politics you are.

Tutorials feel weird at first because its just you and 1 or 2 other people and the tutor but they're not nearly as scary as Oxford related media makes them seem, tutors aren't expecting you to know everything and most are fine with you making mistakes but almost everyone will have a horrible tutor at some point, it's like an Oxford rite of passage, mine was for constitutional in second term. Laughing at her/the things she said to me with other people in my college made me realise it wasn't me who was doing badly, that's just how she was and stopped me getting too disheartened though.

This term I'm doing trusts and tort. Tort is very similar to criminal so tends to be quite easy to follow because it makes sense that the law would be what it is and a lot of it can be deduced by common sense. Trusts is a weird one again, I hadn't even really heard of a trust until the start of this term but even with modules you're initially clueless about, you quickly get the hang of, especially after getting used to Oxford's method of teaching and I'm actually finding myself really enjoying trusts. Even if you hate a module in the first week or two, don't write it off and stop trying (I kinda did that with constit last year lol) because the academic validation/doing well always feel so much better, for me at least, when it's in a module I felt hopeless about at the start

Wow, thank you so much for this! Reading your response makes me happy because all of the modules sound so interesting tbh 🙂 Also I received an interview invite a couple of days back and was wondering if you had any advice in terms of how to stand out in the interview,,, like ofc I know that I have to elaborate and think out loud but is there anything you think you did differently that worked in your favour?
Wow, thank you so much for this! Reading your response makes me happy because all of the modules sound so interesting tbh 🙂 Also I received an interview invite a couple of days back and was wondering if you had any advice in terms of how to stand out in the interview,,, like ofc I know that I have to elaborate and think out loud but is there anything you think you did differently that worked in your favour?

Congrats on getting an interview :smile:

The interview honestly wasn't as scary as I was expecting. I had one interview where I was asked for general questions such as what I like to read for fun/non-academically and then how my favourite book has influenced the world, and what my most controversial view was. Then I second more academic interview where I was sent a case to read about a week before and then was asked some questions on it. I didn't understand much of the case and at that stage they're not expecting you to. I was just asked to repeat what the facts were then some very general questions such as what considerations I think would be relevant to the judges when reaching their decision.

My main advice would just be to know your personal statement really well, reread any essays you have mentioned (such as an EPQ) and have a few articles on recent developments in the law in mind in case you're asked if you follow legal news/what interest things you've read recently. They don't have to be overly academic articles, just ones from ordinary newspapers. Also have an area of law in mind that you might want to go into as a career, doesn't matter if you actually do or not. I said I was keen to go into human rights/immigration law, even though I actually want to go into commercial, as I'd done my EPQ on it and I thought it would be the easier to defend option.

As for making yourself stand out, I wouldn't say there's anything big you need to do, you're obviously a strong candidate to even get an interview and Oxford will know that they're only interviewing the best students so it's unlikely for any applicant to be miles above others. They're much more interested in just hearing how you think. It's better to say something/answer the question even if you worry it might make you look stupid than just sitting in silence/not answering.

Good luck with your interview :smile:
Reply 8
Thank you so much! May I know how you answered what your controversial view was? I'm kinda intrigued by this question haha,,, I also didn't know that they would send you the case about a week back, I thought the pre-reading would be 30 minutes but I guess it depends from college to college 😀
I mentioned contract law and a MOOC in the PS, and I'm planning to watch a documentary on a famous case related to it, hopefully, that should be enough? I guess I can also say I'm interested in Human rights Law cause I've been following the Afghanistan and Palestine situation in depth.
Thank you for the reassurance once again! One of the key skills they are looking for is separating the relevant from the irrelevant and I'm scared I might just start blabbering ********. I saw this question, 'Should students get a partial/full refund from universities if classes are held online?' and my response was no, because the university is a service you're paying for, and you wouldn't pay a doctor less for their service just because it's online. However, I was told that the better response would be to consider the university/lecturers as well as the students' POV. In such a case, how do you think I should go about answering?
(I'm sorry for asking so many questions, but I'd be very grateful for your response :biggrin:)
(edited 5 months ago)
Thank you so much! May I know how you answered what your controversial view was? I'm kinda intrigued by this question haha,,, I also didn't know that they would send you the case about a week back, I thought the pre-reading would be 30 minutes but I guess it depends from college to college 😀 I've been assigned Hertford and the tutors seem lovely!
I mentioned contract law and a MOOC in the PS, and I'm planning to watch a documentary on a famous case related to it, hopefully, that should be enough? I guess I can also say I'm interested in Human rights Law cause I've been following the Afghanistan and Palestine situation in depth.
Thank you for the reassurance once again! One of the key skills they are looking for is separating the relevant from the irrelevant and I'm scared I might just start blabbering ********. I saw this question, 'Should students get a partial/full refund from universities if classes are held online?' and my response was no, because the university is a service you're paying for, and you wouldn't pay a doctor less for their service just because it's online. However, I was told that the better response would be to consider the university/lecturers as well as the students' POV. In such a case, how do you think I should go about answering?
(I'm sorry for asking so many questions, but I'd be very grateful for your response :biggrin:)

For the controversial views questions I spoke about increasing protections for refugees' human rights because I'd done my EPQ on immigration/human rights law. It was a surprise question for me as well lol so i didn't have anything particularly controversial to say about it

The things you've mentioned to talk about sounds like it will be enough, I didn't get that long to talk about recent developments that interest me, I think I mentioned the Online Safety Bill and a bit about human rights mainly relating to my EPQ but that was it.

For the question about uni refunds and others like it, from feedback I've had in tutorials/essays, Oxford tutors want you to consider both sides but not sit on the fence. So it's fine to have your overall conclusion as no but also bring in counter arguments then explain why you think they're wrong or can be discounted. (e.g. student's shouldn't get a refund because uni is a service you're paying for whether it's online or not. Some might argue that poorer students would be put at more of a disadvantage if classes are held online due to lack of access to technology but that difficulty could be overcome by schools/unis providing laptops for students who can't afford them)
For the controversial views questions I spoke about increasing protections for refugees' human rights because I'd done my EPQ on immigration/human rights law. It was a surprise question for me as well lol so i didn't have anything particularly controversial to say about it

The things you've mentioned to talk about sounds like it will be enough, I didn't get that long to talk about recent developments that interest me, I think I mentioned the Online Safety Bill and a bit about human rights mainly relating to my EPQ but that was it.

For the question about uni refunds and others like it, from feedback I've had in tutorials/essays, Oxford tutors want you to consider both sides but not sit on the fence. So it's fine to have your overall conclusion as no but also bring in counter arguments then explain why you think they're wrong or can be discounted. (e.g. student's shouldn't get a refund because uni is a service you're paying for whether it's online or not. Some might argue that poorer students would be put at more of a disadvantage if classes are held online due to lack of access to technology but that difficulty could be overcome by schools/unis providing laptops for students who can't afford them)

Thank you so much! This has been extremely helpful and I'm really grateful for your help. The interview is next week and I hope I can use your advice to work in my favour 😀 Cheers! Have a great day!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending