The Student Room Group

What are the easiest further maths modules?

This is obviously subjective, but i’m interested to hear your personal opinion/ experiences with the modules

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
They all seem rather easy though I think most people lack confidence in applied maths so they think the mechanics papers are tougher.
Reply 2
Original post by lig1729
They all seem rather easy though I think most people lack confidence in applied maths so they think the mechanics papers are tougher.

Ah alright. Yes the mechanics papers are intimidating!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Mathsqueen
Ah alright. Yes the mechanics papers are intimidating!

In reality they are the easiest. Marks being given away for the most trivial of things. But - people are intimidated and that hurts them a lot.
I'm not sure about D2, otherwise I know I picked the easiest choices for further Maths for my skill set :tongue: (FP1-2, S1-4, M1 and D1) (two of those going to normal maths).
Reply 5
Original post by SeanFM
I'm not sure about D2, otherwise I know I picked the easiest choices for further Maths for my skill set :tongue: (FP1-2, S1-4, M1 and D1) (two of those going to normal maths).

I chose Maths (C1 C2 C3 C4 M1 M2) & Further Maths (FP1 FP2 FP3 FP4 M3 M4).
Original post by lig1729
I chose Maths (C1 C2 C3 C4 M1 M2) & Further Maths (FP1 FP2 FP3 FP4 M3 M4).

So the most difficult options then.. well done :tongue:

(I'm pretty sure AQA FP4 has stuff that I'd only first seen at uni :K:)
Reply 7
Original post by SeanFM
So the most difficult options then.. well done :tongue:

(I'm pretty sure AQA FP4 has stuff that I'd only first seen at uni :K:)

I deliberately chose the most A2 modules I could do. I am also doing AQA Statistics stand alone A level - so I couldn't choose the stats papers for Maths/Further Maths anyway.

I am self taught and doing this as a private candidate.
Original post by lig1729
I deliberately chose the most A2 modules I could do. I am also doing AQA Statistics stand alone A level - so I couldn't choose the stats papers for Maths/Further Maths anyway.

I am self taught and doing this as a private candidate.

Oh I see how confusing :tongue: but hats off to you. :hat2:
Reply 9
AQA FP4 was bae.

I guess decision is easier for most people. I personally found mechanics really interesting so it was easier for me. M3 was quite difficult though, I must say, especially relative motion.
Well if you're going to do Maths with, say, C1-4 + M1/S1

The easiest further modules would be FP1 (well that's mandatory I think), D1, S2, M2 and from what I've heard, S3 and D2 aren't too bad either.

That'd be what I'd pick if I were going for "easiest" ^

Past M2, it gets a bit harder. Same with >=FP2 and I heard S3/4 are of similar difficulty but since you need one for FM, you may as well take the next (S3) in the series.

Although if you're quite mechanically (?) minded like a lot of people, you might find M3 more pleasant to learn
Reply 11
Original post by cubic^3
AQA FP4 was bae.

I guess decision is easier for most people. I personally found mechanics really interesting so it was easier for me. M3 was quite difficult though, I must say, especially relative motion.

I think AQA FP4 is very straightforward. But each unto his own I guess.

I only started studying for these AS/A levels in October and am doing all 18 exams in May/June. There isn't that much material when you really think about it.
Reply 12
Original post by lig1729
I think AQA FP4 is very straightforward. But each unto his own I guess.

I only started studying for these AS/A levels in October and am doing all 18 exams in May/June. There isn't that much material when you really think about it.

I meant fp4 was easy. Much easier than fp2, but i found fp2 more interesting.
Reply 13
Original post by cubic^3
I meant fp4 was easy. Much easier than fp2, but i found fp2 more interesting.

The only thing on the entire FP1 thru FP4 that the question seems tricky is the long polar curve integral question towards the end of FP3.
My FM modules were FP1, FP3, FP4, S1, D1 and M3 (did M1 and M2 with regular maths).
Obviously out of those S1 and D1 were the easiest, but of the modules that are purely FM modules i found FP1 the easiest. Then probably M3 was the next easiest - i always found mechanics the most boring and hard to learn on my own, but if i had a good step by step guide set out by a teacher (i had a fantastic mechanics teacher) then i found it okay. The hardest was probably FP4, i just found it really hard to get my head around, and it didnt help that we hadn't learnt the basic vector stuff in Core 4 yet :P FP3 is probably slighter easier than FP4 imo, but it is a lot of integration and quite easy to make silly mistakes i thought.
All this is reflected in my grades, where i got A's in everything except a high C in FP3 and a low C in FP4 (resulting in an A overall).
Choose the modules you enjoy most... D1 and S1 are certainly 'easy', but are so incredibly boring you'd rather pour liquid gold into your eyes than sit them

The further pure modules are always a safe choice - relatively easy for everyone, and necessary for the later mechanics modules

Personally, I'd do as much pure and mechanics as you can - and I say this as someone who is more appreciative of the topics in D1 and statistics than most (but hates how it is presented and used)
(edited 8 years ago)
I like FP1 and M1; they're pretty easy
S1 I find annoying mostly because I don't get along with probability, and I prefer the algebraic side of maths
Reply 17
Bump

Quick Reply

Latest