The Student Room Group

Black Britons of African origin beat whites in GCSE exams

Scroll to see replies

I'm not surprised! I'm Nigerian and Africans in general tend to place a lot of emphasis on education. There are 3 Nigerians in my school(including myself) and we all got some of the best GCSE and AS results lol.

It makes me think how different Africa would be if good quality education was available throughout the continent.
Original post by baleh
FWIW, Asians (especially Singaporeans) are the most intelligent people I know.

The amount of pressure that is put on them by their parents and the government that sponsors them is crazy! :eek: I know a lot of people question the methods but honestly it's a system that works....

Original post by Yaa dunno
mainly being really clever at being scam artists.

Of all the flavours you chose to be salty :colonhash:

Original post by bisolarsystem
that's bc african parents will deport us if we fail XD

Straight to the village to live with your gran if you fail :rofl:
[QUOTE=StrawbAri;62379887]The amount of pressure that is put on them by their parents and the government that sponsors them is crazy! :eek: I know a lot of people question the methods but honestly it's a system that works....

Imagine my mum said it's Cambridge or UNILAG for me :lol:
Reply 23
what is your point exactly?
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Imagine my mum said it's Cambridge or UNILAG for me :lol:

Lol same! It's Oxbridge/Imperial or why are we even bothering to send you abroad?

It's such a shame the educational system is so poor. People would rather go to uni in Ghana than in Nigeria.
Original post by Dick Diamonds
I knew someone immature would make this joke.

Who said I was "joking"?

It's not a myth, There are a lot of Nigerians tribes that do internet scams.
Reply 26
Original post by TeeEm
what is your point exactly?

post #11:

What I think is relevant is how White Britons are being failed (either by the State or their families), and what can be done to remedy this. Noting the achievements of other ethnic groups is also positive.

But I also just think such statistics are inherently interesting and worthy of discussion. :smile:
Original post by Yaa dunno
Who said I was "joking"?

It's not a myth, There are a lot of Nigerians tribes that do internet scams.

I'm sure lots of people from all sorts of countries do internet scams.
The syetem is institutionally racist. Black privilege.
It really does make you wonder what potential contribution Africa could offer to the world if everyone there got the education we're fortunate enough to have here.
Original post by StrawbAri
The amount of pressure that is put on them by their parents and the government that sponsors them is crazy! :eek: I know a lot of people question the methods but honestly it's a system that works....

Pay me no mind I am just being silly.:tongue: I am just trying to ruffle some feathers.
As an African this offends me, it implies I did well at GCSE English because 'there was something worse back home', that is not the case at all. My home country is perfectly fine. In fact I'd say the reason I did better than most English kids at GCSE English was probably due to my parent's attitudes towards education at a young age.
Reply 32
Original post by Dinasaurus
As an African this offends me, it implies I did well at GCSE English because 'there was something worse back home', that is not the case at all. My home country is perfectly fine. In fact I'd say the reason I did better than most English kids at GCSE English was probably due to my parent's attitudes towards education at a young age.

threre''s nothing offensive bro.
I'm not surprised, what I'm surprised is that white kids are only 3% behind. Asian and black families have a far better attitude to education, black and asian kids don't choose pointless subjects/degrees either. It's only ever white parents that tell their kids to go and chase after their 'dream' and that it's ok to do media studies at Southampton Solent. We have a lot to learn from other cultures in this respect.
Original post by danr2
threre''s nothing offensive bro.

It offends me because it stereotypes Africa as 'poor' or I should be lucky to be in Britain to have these opportunities, not all African countries are places of famine or negativity.
Reply 35
Definitely to do with culture, not being intrinsically bright. If your parents have degrees and a mindset that is pro-education, you tend to do a lot better in exams because you are surrounded and obtain this mindset.

If your family worships Jeremy Kyle and is more than happy to live off benefits and only care that you attend school to keep social services off their case, then you are a lot less likely to do well because you've developed an anti-education mindset.
Reply 36
Original post by infairverona
I'm not surprised, what I'm surprised is that white kids are only 3% behind. Asian and black families have a far better attitude to education, black and asian kids don't choose pointless subjects/degrees either. It's only ever white parents that tell their kids to go and chase after their 'dream' and that it's ok to do media studies at Southampton Solent. We have a lot to learn from other cultures in this respect.

Original post by donte
Definitely to do with culture, not being intrinsically bright. If your parents have degrees and a mindset that is pro-education, you tend to do a lot better in exams because you are surrounded and obtain this mindset.

If your family worships Jeremy Kyle and is more than happy to live off benefits and only care that you attend school to keep social services off their case, then you are a lot less likely to do well because you've developed an anti-education mindset.

+1 to both.
Reply 37
Original post by Dinasaurus

No it's not, otherwise you wouldn't be in the UK.
Reply 38
Original post by Blackstarr
Its understandable, in the UK people(most white brits) just rely on benefits and don't even think about bettering their lives, whereas, Africans know what they are in for when the enter the UK, education back home is a struggle.

Your offensive ignorance make me want to punch you in the throat.
Original post by cubic^3
No it's not, otherwise you wouldn't be in the UK.

Poor reasoning. People migrate for a whole range of reasons.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending