The Student Room Group

Leicester or Kent?

Hey there, I've just received offers from University of Leicester and University of Kent to study Criminology (Leicester) and Criminology and Criminal Justice (Kent).
I am having really big doubts as to which university should I choose, can anybody help me out with some advice here?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Muchaco
Hey there, I've just received offers from University of Leicester and University of Kent to study Criminology (Leicester) and Criminology and Criminal Justice (Kent).
I am having really big doubts as to which university should I choose, can anybody help me out with some advice here?

You need to consider course content, location and facilities.
Reply 2
Original post by jelly1000
You need to consider course content, location and facilities.

Any way to compare all of these things? Or just gather information via the internet?
Original post by Muchaco
Any way to compare all of these things? Or just gather information via the internet?

Just gather information, ask current students on here if you can e.c.t
Original post by Muchaco

I don't study Criminology but I study at the University of Leicester currently and I'm going on to study a MSc at Kent come September so if you have any questions about either of the universities in general I may be able to help!
Reply 5
Original post by a6georgia1
I don't study Criminology but I study at the University of Leicester currently and I'm going on to study a MSc at Kent come September so if you have any questions about either of the universities in general I may be able to help!

I sure do! If you're more comfortable to communicate via personal messages just tell me so.
In the mean time, tell me about city of Leicester, is it hard to find a part time job? Because my financial situation is gonna rely on that.
And what about university accommodation, what do you think about the houses that cost up to 90 pounds a week?
Original post by Muchaco
I sure do! If you're more comfortable to communicate via personal messages just tell me so.
In the mean time, tell me about city of Leicester, is it hard to find a part time job? Because my financial situation is gonna rely on that.
And what about university accommodation, what do you think about the houses that cost up to 90 pounds a week?

I'm fine personal messaging if you want, I'm not fussed!
Leicester is really lovely - multicultural, big town centre with loads of shops. It's definitely not hard to get a part time job. There's always shops advertising for part time job but the university has a kind of job centre on site called Unitemps which find you jobs. The university hire a lot of student to do jobs such as working in the SU or working open days - I work as a student ambassador and I get loads of work when I want it 😊

The accommodation - are you looking at halls or private renting? Every one of the halls are honestly really nice. The lowest price accommodations are cheaper because they normally are smaller rooms in an older building without an ensuite but they are still nice. To be honest it's what you make of it the accommodation really, just get to know the people who live with you. Again, the university have a sort of estate agents called SULets which help you find private accommodation if that is what you wish.
Reply 7
I'm fine personal messaging if you want, I'm not fussed!
Leicester is really lovely - multicultural, big town centre with loads of shops. It's definitely not hard to get a part time job. There's always shops advertising for part time job but the university has a kind of job centre on site called Unitemps which find you jobs. The university hire a lot of student to do jobs such as working in the SU or working open days - I work as a student ambassador and I get loads of work when I want it 😊

The accommodation - are you looking at halls or private renting? Every one of the halls are honestly really nice. The lowest price accommodations are cheaper because they normally are smaller rooms in an older building without an ensuite but they are still nice. To be honest it's what you make of it the accommodation really, just get to know the people who live with you. Again, the university have a sort of estate agents called SULets which help you find private accommodation if that is what you wish.

I'll just keep our discussion here, maybe some other lost soul will find this useful :biggrin:.

I'd love to do anything that pays enough for rent and food. What does SU mean by the way?

And secondly, what are your weekly expenses?

For accommodation I'm looking at the halls. Wanna experience the university life so much. Are the simplest rooms made for one or a couple of students?

As well, how do you get by in the city, for example: from your dorm to university? Buses?
Original post by Muchaco
I'll just keep our discussion here, maybe some other lost soul will find this useful :biggrin:.

I'd love to do anything that pays enough for rent and food. What does SU mean by the way?

And secondly, what are your weekly expenses?

For accommodation I'm looking at the halls. Wanna experience the university life so much. Are the simplest rooms made for one or a couple of students?

As well, how do you get by in the city, for example: from your dorm to university? Buses?

Sorry should've mentioned, SU means Students Union - they are just there to help the students. Also, not entirely sure with weekly expenses as I pay bills atm and halls have catered and non catered packages which make a difference. I spend around £70-80 a week currently including bills.

You can get twin rooms yes for the cheapest price. Can get a single room too though.

Normally people get a bus to university, you can buy a bus pass for £360 a year which takes you to uni and town - it's unlimited use within Leicestershire for a year.
Look at graduate prospects and compare the two. Also a good idea to look at the league tables.
Reply 10
Sorry should've mentioned, SU means Students Union - they are just there to help the students. Also, not entirely sure with weekly expenses as I pay bills atm and halls have catered and non catered packages which make a difference. I spend around £70-80 a week currently including bills.

You can get twin rooms yes for the cheapest price. Can get a single room too though.

Normally people get a bus to university, you can buy a bus pass for £360 a year which takes you to uni and town - it's unlimited use within Leicestershire for a year.

Thank you for your responses!
I don't really know how to ask this clearly :biggrin:... What about the studying level in general? Is it hard to study there? I mean compared to other universities or high school for example?

Original post by fire_and_ice
Look at graduate prospects and compare the two. Also a good idea to look at the league tables.

These two unis are really close everywhere, in all the rankings. Although in social sciences Leicester has a slight advantage.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Muchaco
Thank you for your responses!
I don't really know how to ask this clearly :biggrin:... What about the studying level in general? Is it hard to study there? I mean compared to other universities or high school for example.

Well all universities are definitely way harder than school, but that's the point of higher education. In comparison to other universities, it differs by subjects so I'm not entirely sure for criminology. However, Leicester definitely is one of the better universities in the country - top 20 I believe, so you can expect the work to be of a higher level than lower ranked universities.
Reply 12
Well all universities are definitely way harder than school, but that's the point of higher education. In comparison to other universities, it differs by subjects so I'm not entirely sure for criminology. However, Leicester definitely is one of the better universities in the country - top 20 I believe, so you can expect the work to be of a higher level than lower ranked universities.

Thank you for your response!

Also, why did leicester university fell off the league table so much this year? Like 15 spots down or so
Original post by Muchaco
Thank you for your response!

Also, why did leicester university fell off the league table so much this year? Like 15 spots down or so

That's something I can't answer as a student, but they've only fallen to like 24th? You'll have to ask the uni themselves. It doesn't seem to have changed whilst I've been here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending