The Student Room Group

Postgrad Anxiety: Is 28 too old for a MSc?

Wondering if 28-29 would be too old for a MSc? Are there folks born in 1995 and 1996 still doing their masters?
Original post by MissGoethe
Wondering if 28-29 would be too old for a MSc? Are there folks born in 1995 and 1996 still doing their masters?

Hey!

Definitely not too old!!

I did a Masters in 2021/22 in so hopefully can offer some insight! I was 21 at the time (just finished my undergraduate) and was actually the youngest person on my course! I found everyone was 25+, with the oldest person on our course being 60+ (it was actually her retirement present to herself)! I think a lot of people tend to get industry experience first and then do a Masters later to enhance their career, so you definitely won't be alone. I'm now a PhD student and teach some seminars on a Master's course and there are a lot of mature students. This obviously will vary by course but age really doesn't matter and you won't be alone!! :smile:

Hope this helps!

Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep
Average age might vary a bit depending on the subject but we still get applicants born in 80's so late-20's is not going to be anything unusual.
Hi @MissGoethe

Absolutely not too old for an MSc!! During my PG experience I came across a huge range of people from all ages and walks of life - it's actually an amazing thing meeting so many people. I found that I learnt so much from people who had taken a break from education because they had so much more life experience than me and used lots of their transferable skills to ace their programmes!

I would recommend (if you can) going along to a in-person Postgraduate Open Day (the University of Leicester's will be in March 2024 :wink:) to really give you an insight into the range of people looking at PG study and see if it's the right thing for you!

Best of luck and always happy to talk more :smile:

-Alisha (UK Student Recruitment Officer, Postgraduate) and Leicester alumni!
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 4
I did my maters with a 70 year old retired surgeon and a 64 year old ex-Beano artist.
(edited 7 months ago)
I hope not, I'm just starting my MSc and I'm 46.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending