The Student Room Group

PGCE Applications 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Niyo123
Hi,
Thanks!
Yes SKE is part of my conditional offer. The uni provide SKE, but I was wondering if I can do any online SKE course?

I made enquiries with HCUK for online but in the end my uni recommended online as I'm still working. I'm doing chemistry online but with a couple of weekends at the Uni of Sussex for the practical part. What's your subject?
Original post by VelmaStaplebot
I made enquiries with HCUK for online but in the end my uni recommended online as I'm still working. I'm doing chemistry online but with a couple of weekends at the Uni of Sussex for the practical part. What's your subject?

Maths.
Passed both my QTS skills tests today! :-D. The best advice i can give is to also practice the online interactive versions of the practice tests which are exactly like the real thing :-)
Original post by Gerald1990
Passed both my QTS skills tests today! :-D. The best advice i can give is to also practice the online interactive versions of the practice tests which are exactly like the real thing :-)

Congratulations
How would you compare numeracy real test to the dfe ones?
I've got mine next week

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gerald1990

Well done you! 😄
Original post by Niyo123
Maths.

That definitely sounds a good subject for online study. Good luck.
Hi everyone. Please join our facebook group: 16/17 teacher training :smile:
for help and support through teacher training x
Anyone doing Psychology?
Original post by jodiek28
Hi everyone. Please join our facebook group: 16/17 teacher training :smile:
for help and support through teacher training x

Ah..I don't have a Facebook account.
Original post by Findlay6
Anyone doing Psychology?

Me! Secured a place at MMU for September 2016.
Any questions you can remember?
Hi Folks, I came back to education to do a degree in Web Design and Development BSc at Hull and I am now in my final year. I have enjoyed spending time with my fellow students all of whom were younger than myself, I plan to do a secondary PGCE in computing in 2016 - 2017 I have started the process and have a SEP day on the 23rd and UCAS have just advised me my references are back, however, I have an issue with the GCSE level c or above as I left school in 1975, yes I am 56 years old and we did CSEs back then and I am not sure what the results were certainly around the b or c mark but how they translate to GCSEs so will I need to do GCSE English and Maths or is there an alternative? anyone with information or pointers would be helpful.
Hi Dave,
I'm right with you - as a mature student-to-be I did my maths O-level in 1982. From memory, a CSE 1 was equivalent to a C or better at O-level. As you are looking to computing - and if you haven't already - go through the getintoteaching website, as you will qualify for a premium plus advisor. I talked to one and he was really, really helpful.
I think the Professional Skills tests for numeracy and literacy are intended to check everyone is at the same level on joining ITT, so you may find it's taken care of that way.
I'm pleased to be getting back into education and have found it refreshing and energising to meet lots of different people at different ages and stages and, apparently, we have the advantages of being more organised and more confident as mature career-changers!!
Hope all goes well.
Original post by VelmaStaplebot
Hi Dave,
I'm right with you - as a mature student-to-be I did my maths O-level in 1982. From memory, a CSE 1 was equivalent to a C or better at O-level. As you are looking to computing - and if you haven't already - go through the getintoteaching website, as you will qualify for a premium plus advisor. I talked to one and he was really, really helpful.
I think the Professional Skills tests for numeracy and literacy are intended to check everyone is at the same level on joining ITT, so you may find it's taken care of that way.
I'm pleased to be getting back into education and have found it refreshing and energising to meet lots of different people at different ages and stages and, apparently, we have the advantages of being more organised and more confident as mature career-changers!!
Hope all goes well.

Hi Velma

I have been assigned an advisor and I have just emailed her to find out where I stand, I have done the mock tests and scored highly 90% - 100% on the Maths tests and 85%+ on the English so I am confident that I can cope but I do wish I had done this earlier!
[QUOTE=Dave_Hurst;62678675]Hi Velma

I have been assigned an advisor and I have just emailed her to find out where I stand, I have done the mock tests and scored highly 90% - 100% on the Maths tests and 85%+ on the English so I am confident that I can cope but I do wish I had done this earlier!

Hi Dave,
That's good to hear and it sounds like you are well on the way. I know what you mean about doing it earlier but actually with all the bursaries and support, it does make it easier to do it now.
I've got a school direct place for secondary chemistry in Leicestershire and (as I am so out of practice) I've got a 12 week chemistry course to do after Easter, which I'm looking forward to.
I've found this a good forum to share and ask questions. Cheerio for now, Velma
Original post by Dave_Hurst
Hi Folks, I came back to education to do a degree in Web Design and Development BSc at Hull and I am now in my final year. I have enjoyed spending time with my fellow students all of whom were younger than myself, I plan to do a secondary PGCE in computing in 2016 - 2017 I have started the process and have a SEP day on the 23rd and UCAS have just advised me my references are back, however, I have an issue with the GCSE level c or above as I left school in 1975, yes I am 56 years old and we did CSEs back then and I am not sure what the results were certainly around the b or c mark but how they translate to GCSEs so will I need to do GCSE English and Maths or is there an alternative? anyone with information or pointers would be helpful.

Hi
I'm going to do computing too. Which unis are you after?
If you're given a conditional offer then some unis offer in house equivalency test whilst others ask proof from equivalency test. Com
So check this with your university
Hi all,

So I have done all the literacy government skills tests and passed them all within a couple of attempts. Spelling was an area I did well on getting no less than 8 right. How much work needs to go into spelling practice? I did well on the practice tests, but the real thing I may not have a clue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PlantVZombie
Hi all,

So I have done all the literacy government skills tests and passed them all within a couple of attempts. Spelling was an area I did well on getting no less than 8 right. How much work needs to go into spelling practice? I did well on the practice tests, but the real thing I may not have a clue.

Go to creative openings (website) and download the spelling list.
Passed my numeracy test today! It was slightly harder then Dfe and a lot harder Numeracy Ready. But at least I passed! Literacy passed in Dec, so I'm ready to start in September :smile:
Original post by MissBunny
Passed my numeracy test today! It was slightly harder then Dfe and a lot harder Numeracy Ready. But at least I passed! Literacy passed in Dec, so I'm ready to start in September :smile:

This does my fill me with confidence. Well done though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending