The Student Room Group

Stephen Fry quits Twitter after backlash against joke on his friend

The Professionally Offended are at it again.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/12157533/Stephen-Fry-quits-Twitter-following-uproar-over-bag-lady-jibe.html

Shortly after the ceremony finished Fry responded to his critics saying: "So just a word to the tragic figures who think calling Jenny Bevan a bag lady was an insult. She's a dear friend and she got it. Derrr."
Another tweet said: "Will all you sanctimonious f***ers f*** the f*** off Jenny Beavan is a friend and joshing is legitimate. Christ I want to leave the planet."
He later posted a photo of himself posing with Beavan, captioned: "Jenny Baglady Beavan and Stephen Outrageous Misogynist Swine Fry at the #EEBAFTAs after party."

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
He's such a f*ing drama queen, that bloke. Totally dire, joyless presenting of the baftas too.
Reply 2
Original post by Ab12392
He's such a f*ing drama queen, that bloke. Totally dire, joyless presenting of the baftas too.

Oh yeah, people are up in arms over a harmless joke and he's the drama queen. :laugh:
That isn't worth quitting twitter over.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am conflicted. I don't really like Stephen Fry, and I don't like the "perpetually offended Twitter brigade".

I think Stephen Fry seems more in the right in this case...
Twitter

The platform for idiots
Reply 6
If your thought can be condensed to 140 characters it isn't worth much in the first place. Why you think other people should listen to you is baffling.
Original post by Ab12392

You mustn't say that. It's offensive to dramatists and monarchs. Also to gay people because of queen.

Reported. And may God have mercy on your soul.
Reply 8
Original post by carlskep
The Professionally Offended are at it again.....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/12157533/Stephen-Fry-quits-Twitter-following-uproar-over-bag-lady-jibe.html

Shortly after the ceremony finished Fry responded to his critics saying: "So just a word to the tragic figures who think calling Jenny Bevan a bag lady was an insult. She's a dear friend and she got it. Derrr."
Another tweet said: "Will all you sanctimonious f***ers f*** the f*** off Jenny Beavan is a friend and joshing is legitimate. Christ I want to leave the planet."
He later posted a photo of himself posing with Beavan, captioned: "Jenny Baglady Beavan and Stephen Outrageous Misogynist Swine Fry at the #EEBAFTAs after party."

I wish Stephen Fry would leave the planet too. He is such a bore.
Original post by Drewski
If your thought can be condensed to 140 characters it isn't worth much in the first place. Why you think other people should listen to you is baffling.

While a certain amount of arrogance is required to assume people want to listen to what is essentially your mutterings, I'd say in Fry's case it's justified given his hundreds of thousands of Twitter followers
Original post by KimKallstrom
While a certain amount of arrogance is required to assume people want to listen to what is essentially your mutterings, I'd say in Fry's case it's justified given his hundreds of thousands of Twitter followers

Its millions in his case.

But it goes both ways. My use of the word should was deliberate. Yes, people can, but that's not the same thing.
Reply 11
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I am conflicted. I don't really like Stephen Fry, and I don't like the "perpetually offended Twitter brigade".

I think Stephen Fry seems more in the right in this case...

This. Although he was good on QI:yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think you can call people out for being professionally offended while throwing your toys out of the pram over a few negative tweets.
Original post by BaconandSauce
Twitter

The platform for idiots

Yikes aren't you edgy.
Somewhat childish on all sides, but more so on the offended side.
Personally, I quite like Stephen Fry and I think the offence taken is ridiculous. However, he probably should have just remembered that he was speaking on national television... he wasn't saying it to his friend or a group of them where they'd all know the nature of their relationship and take it for what it was. Nonetheless, they didn't seem that fussed themselves so I probably would have just stopped complaining about nothing if the person who's supposed to be 'oh so offended' didn't actually give a monkeys.
It's definitely not worth getting upset over and I can't understand why some people would think it's sexist however it was quite a rude thing to say, obviously it all depends on whether the woman herself was offended, it makes no sense when people get upset on others' behalfs.
Reply 17
Original post by Andy98
This. Although he was good on QI:yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

He was good in Blackadder but beyond that I find him really tedious and ever so pompous. Not that I mix in such circles but he's the celebrity I'd least like to sit next too at a dinner party.
Do you know what at least above all else he's not Milo Yiannopoulos because if he had been he would have stood by whatever stupid joke he made and worse yet it wouldn't have been a joke he would have meant it
Original post by Drewski

There was talk among the Twitter bosses about increasing the character limit to 10,000, quite recently. I'm not totally sure if this idea will be pursued, though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending