The Student Room Group

my friend is using me, what do i do?

hello! i dont really have anyone to discuss this matter with, but i need some advice so im hoping to bring the issue to you!

my best friend of nearly 2 years has started treating me awfully. when our friendship began, we were very close. we are long distance friends, but we would call all day every day, playing games and talking and what not essentially from morning till night. i was always his biggest supporter and him mine, until about 6 months we started calling less. i chalked this up to him merely burning out on me a bit–being around each other constantly can only last so long. nonetheless, we still messaged constantly and confided in each other with everything.

during the last 8 months, this has trended down tremendously. we have been planning to move in together soon, which greatly worries me now because of this attitude towards me. unfortunately, my friend suffers from severe depression and extreme ideation as well as some attachment struggles. he has a pattern of attaching to people very strongly for a few days, a week even, then losing all interest in them. this never affected our relationship, other than him all but ignoring me during these spouts of obsession, but i understood that he had a hard time finding joy in anything and also didn't want to make his mentality worse by confronting him, so i figured it would be a problem to address at a later date.

however, around 3 or 4 months ago my friend started talking to and eventually dating a girl. she is very sweet and we met her at the same time, they are also long distance, and since then things got much, much worse. he would constantly snap at me for little things, things that i hadnt even done wrong, would constantly joke that he hates me and sometimes worse jokes as well, and any conversation we had would be making fun of me. again, i have a very deep emotional bond with this boy and have many issues making friends, so without him i really dont have many others. i understood him not talking to me a lot because he is in a relationship and what little energy he does have leftover from his depression needs to go to her and other life changes, like a new job, but the meanness has really started to affect me. i have always been the punching bag, per say, of our friend group, but this never bothered me until the only interactions we had were of this kind. recently, within the last few weeks, he has almost altogether stopped talking to me. i don't really understand, because there was never a big fight or anything, and he still initiates conversation with me often and will also joke that i hate him, which is entirely untrue.

now, for the point of my title, im beginning to feel used. after a few months of us being extremely close, he confided in me that due to his mental health he had been struggling in school. i took it upon myself to help him with assignments here and there when he needed it, or helping him schedule things if it was too daunting of a task. well, this semester, i have done i'd say upwards of 90 % of his schoolwork for him with no help whatsoever from him. i'm too scared to not do it, due to his ideation and depression, and im currently between school programs so i have the free time. that being said, i feel like he only still talks to me because of the schoolwork. we are supposed to move in together within the next few months, and last time we spoke he was still planning on this. i am too scared to talk to him about any of this because of his mental health, and am constantly convincing myself that i am just being possessive and need to let him have his space because of his new relationship and job and general overwhelmed mentality, which is likely the case, but the mean jokes and such make me feel like something deeper is wrong, along with the jokes he makes about me hating him.

im really just not sure how to interpret his attitude right now as it was such a 180 from our constant togetherness and closeness with no falling out or anything, so any advice anyone may have to offer would be splendid.
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
hello! i dont really have anyone to discuss this matter with, but i need some advice so im hoping to bring the issue to you!

my best friend of nearly 2 years has started treating me awfully. when our friendship began, we were very close. we are long distance friends, but we would call all day every day, playing games and talking and what not essentially from morning till night. i was always his biggest supporter and him mine, until about 6 months we started calling less. i chalked this up to him merely burning out on me a bit–being around each other constantly can only last so long. nonetheless, we still messaged constantly and confided in each other with everything.

during the last 8 months, this has trended down tremendously. we have been planning to move in together soon, which greatly worries me now because of this attitude towards me. unfortunately, my friend suffers from severe depression and extreme ideation as well as some attachment struggles. he has a pattern of attaching to people very strongly for a few days, a week even, then losing all interest in them. this never affected our relationship, other than him all but ignoring me during these spouts of obsession, but i understood that he had a hard time finding joy in anything and also didn't want to make his mentality worse by confronting him, so i figured it would be a problem to address at a later date.

however, around 3 or 4 months ago my friend started talking to and eventually dating a girl. she is very sweet and we met her at the same time, they are also long distance, and since then things got much, much worse. he would constantly snap at me for little things, things that i hadnt even done wrong, would constantly joke that he hates me and sometimes worse jokes as well, and any conversation we had would be making fun of me. again, i have a very deep emotional bond with this boy and have many issues making friends, so without him i really dont have many others. i understood him not talking to me a lot because he is in a relationship and what little energy he does have leftover from his depression needs to go to her and other life changes, like a new job, but the meanness has really started to affect me. i have always been the punching bag, per say, of our friend group, but this never bothered me until the only interactions we had were of this kind. recently, within the last few weeks, he has almost altogether stopped talking to me. i don't really understand, because there was never a big fight or anything, and he still initiates conversation with me often and will also joke that i hate him, which is entirely untrue.

now, for the point of my title, im beginning to feel used. after a few months of us being extremely close, he confided in me that due to his mental health he had been struggling in school. i took it upon myself to help him with assignments here and there when he needed it, or helping him schedule things if it was too daunting of a task. well, this semester, i have done i'd say upwards of 90 % of his schoolwork for him with no help whatsoever from him. i'm too scared to not do it, due to his ideation and depression, and im currently between school programs so i have the free time. that being said, i feel like he only still talks to me because of the schoolwork. we are supposed to move in together within the next few months, and last time we spoke he was still planning on this. i am too scared to talk to him about any of this because of his mental health, and am constantly convincing myself that i am just being possessive and need to let him have his space because of his new relationship and job and general overwhelmed mentality, which is likely the case, but the mean jokes and such make me feel like something deeper is wrong, along with the jokes he makes about me hating him.

im really just not sure how to interpret his attitude right now as it was such a 180 from our constant togetherness and closeness with no falling out or anything, so any advice anyone may have to offer would be splendid.

Well, that's on you if you still want him to be your friend you'll have to struggle or else follow the flow and avoid things that make you uncomfortable. Friendship is both people giving and taking but not one person just giving and the other just taking, it needs to be balanced.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous

I have seen this movie before.

I used to be friends with one person, a girl. We were really hitting it off. Turns out, it was all a sham.
She then turned many people against me, and I on my own courage and strength fended off those naysayers and the wrongly informed people by just showing them the mirror of Truth. She humiliated me in public. It was an embarassement. But in the end I backed off from that friendship. Better late than never bro.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending