The Student Room Group

I went to the Calais refugee camp today

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thunder_chunky
And you didn't get attacked or assaulted? Not even groped?

No 🙄
Original post by queen-bee
Sis! You went and didn't tell me! Wallah we will go together next time inshallah

Sis! You would be very useful since you speak Arabic! A fellow delegation member spoke to a Syrian refugee and he hailed Syria as the most beautiful country in the world. I thought about you then.
As soon as I get info about a next delegation I'll send you info straight up x
Why do you think they should be allowed entrance to our country?

Would you say the conditions of this "shanty town" is better or worse that their place of origin?

It's often shown in the media that these camps are full of women and children seeking asylum from the Syrian war, do you feel that the people you saw are there because of this, or because they want an easier life in the UK.
Original post by SemperLiber
Why do you think they should be allowed entrance to our country?

Would you say the conditions of this "shanty town" is better or worse that their place of origin?

It's often shown in the media that these camps are full of women and children seeking asylum from the Syrian war, do you feel that the people you saw are there because of this, or because they want an easier life in the UK.

Because of their refugee status. Due to the amount of money they have to pay to smugglers, a lot of them of middle class (not all though) so could be useful to our economy.

Worse. All of them agreed that the living conditions at home were better (pre conflict).

Not all of them are Syrians, it was very diverse. We didn't see the children and women as they are in another part of the camp (I saw like one woman and a few boys).They told us the women are ashamed to come out because of the living conditions their children have to go through.
They stressed that they're doing this because they fear for their lives. They didn't want to leave their country at all and don't want, you know, to stay and collect benefits. They want to develop skills, especially language skills, to help them increase their chances.
That's good. If they present themselves with their passports and are prepared to sign legally binding contracts stating that they will claim no benefits, have no use of the nhs, have jobs and housing waiting etc then let them all through. That should be easy if all they want is to learn better English
Original post by queen-bee
What do you mean by backward culture? So now you're insulting Arabs?!

I was referring to the misogynistic culture most Arabs (especially men) who haven't lived in the West live in.
Original post by elen90
Who would've thunk it? Refugee men are civilised like any other man here?

Dude.

Lol ok. Whatever you say.

Original post by jedanselemyia
No 🙄

You got lucky then.
As someone whose parents travel between Kent and northern France on a regular basis I'm angry that you have contributed to the problem with your naivety, attitude and actions. Putting aside the fact they are migrants, not refugees (they have had ample opportunity to seek safety/shelter/asylum in a number of developed, 'rich' countries but have chosen not to do so. They are there with the only intention to get in to the UK by illegal means), in practical terms they intimidate drivers, attempt to open car doors and harass people heading to/from the ferries. They have destroyed the area around Calais and forced the French authorities to spend scant resources clearing up after them. I have personally seen them running across motorways in Kent, forcing cars to taken sudden, dangerous, evasive action. They damage lorries and fences and show absolutely no respect for wherever they are.

While I do have sympathy for genuine refugees and their plight I would be delighted if the Calais camps were bulldozed tomorrow. Closing Sangatte helped the situation but it seems the French are doing little to discourage those near Calais to keep trying to get to the UK. Please don't encourage them further.
Original post by thunder_chunky

You got lucky then.

Reply 89
I've seen plenty of shanty towns before.
Original post by dozyrosie
They could always go back to where they came from and try to change their situation by moving into the 21st century, instead of hanging around Europe with a Tin cup in one hand and a rock in the other.

Uh, I don't think you quite understand the situation. In fact I suspect you may be an ignorant fool. Are you an ignorant fool?
Original post by Howard
I've seen plenty of shanty towns before.

Good for you?
Reply 92
Good for you?

Not really. Seen one you've seen them all.
Original post by Howard
Not really. Seen one you've seen them all.

I don't really understand the point you're making :frown:
But yeah you're right. My friend pointed out that it didn't feel like a first world country
Thanks for sharing your experience. You are a hero.
Original post by Wired_1800
Thanks for sharing your experience. You are a hero.

Looooooooool I'm no hero. What I did will have close to no consequences. Hopefully, next time I'll interact more with them and bring more donations and convince other people to come.
Looooooooool I'm no hero. What I did will have close to no consequences. Hopefully, next time I'll interact more with them and bring more donations and convince other people to come.

For you to go and see for yourself is pretty heroic to me. There are many people that don’t care with serious issues like this and they just believe what they read in the press. I know it is not easy for anyone to go to Calais; but for those, who can, it is refreshing for them to go and judge for themselves.

Yes, I think it will be good to contribute as much as you can to those living in such terrible conditions.
Reply 97
Do you work for a charity or something? How did you do it? If I wanted to do what you are doing, how would I go about it?

I believe you're doing something amazing. Definitely keep us updated. Maybe create a blog or something like that. :smile:

You are definitely not a hero.
Reply 99
Looooooooool I'm no hero. What I did will have close to no consequences.

Truer words were never spoken.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending