The Student Room Group

Camp America travel

i’m doing camp america this summer, which finishes 23rd august, but i need to be back in the uk by 8th sept. Ik you’re advised to make travel arrangements with people you meet on camp, but most of those will be there for the full 30 days but me only 2 weeks. so should i book a tour through camp America trek or is it not worth it do you think?
Original post by rycbar.123
i’m doing camp america this summer, which finishes 23rd august, but i need to be back in the uk by 8th sept. Ik you’re advised to make travel arrangements with people you meet on camp, but most of those will be there for the full 30 days but me only 2 weeks. so should i book a tour through camp America trek or is it not worth it do you think?

Hey there 😀

Just this summer, I was at the camp and to my surprise, there were plenty of people without specific plans for travelling after. In addition, not everyone could or did not have the financial resources to travel for 30 days. Therefore, I recommend you wait until you go to the US and meet people because I am sure you will find some willing to travel with you.

Alternatively, you can go on an organised tour. I did it because I was afraid I would not meet people willing to take a short trip with me. That is certainly a great option, but you have to fit into a specific plan and a large group, so you have less freedom. Nevertheless, I was incredibly pleased and managed to do a lot of sightseeing. If you are interested, the company I went with is the American Trip.

Learning from my mistakes, I would not rush with an organised tour because its price is fixed and there are always some vacancies. I would leave it as a last resort and give the people at camp a chance.

I hope it was helpful 💪 Feel free to reach out if you have any questions 😉 You can also chat with me or other students directly through The Ambassador Platform.

Take care,

Julia
Psychology student
De Montfort University
Reply 2
Original post by rycbar.123

Hey @rycbar.123,

I agree with the rep from De Montfort Uni, and I am actually in a similar situation to you. Camp America Trek will be much more structured and you will probably end up paying more than you would if you organised things yourself. I think going with an open mind would be great but at the same time having some things that you really want to do/ go and see, and maybe see if someone/ some people who are more open to things are wanting to join you. Or you could maybe do a week with some others and then do the last week solo? I know someone who only spent a week in the US after camp with someone she met, even ended up staying at her house lol. Hope that has maybe helped. All the best, have a great summer and good luck at uni! Matty.

Quick Reply

Latest