The Student Room Group

Is having complete different holiday taste a sign of incompatibility?

I like going abroad / to really nice hotels on beaches but also renting a car to explore.

I do like holidays within the UK too but again usuallg prefer to stay in a hotel / air BnB.

My boyfriend loves camping and in all honesty I did it with girl guides and hated every second. He loves driving so we’ve booked a few Cotsworlds / highlands trips ( whilst staying in nice hotels) so the compromise is there but I would never go camping: I told him of course he should go with his mates but it really just isn’t for me.

We went to Mauritius earlier this year ( which I paid for, not an issue) but he said he wouldn’t have picked there and compared mt dislike to camping to Mauritius and I just think that’s such a drastic comparison to make!

I’m just worried he’s gonna resent going to whatever I book , even if it’s a compromise and he’s gonna be miserable that I don’t go camping but it’s something I’ve never done - it’s not my idea of a holiday personally.
Either compromise and go on two holidays a year each picking one or just go on separate hols. There's a lot more important stuff going on in a relationship than where you spend 2 weeks a year to recharge your batteries.
Original post by Anonymous
I like going abroad / to really nice hotels on beaches but also renting a car to explore.

I do like holidays within the UK too but again usuallg prefer to stay in a hotel / air BnB.

My boyfriend loves camping and in all honesty I did it with girl guides and hated every second. He loves driving so we’ve booked a few Cotsworlds / highlands trips ( whilst staying in nice hotels) so the compromise is there but I would never go camping: I told him of course he should go with his mates but it really just isn’t for me.

We went to Mauritius earlier this year ( which I paid for, not an issue) but he said he wouldn’t have picked there and compared mt dislike to camping to Mauritius and I just think that’s such a drastic comparison to make!

I’m just worried he’s gonna resent going to whatever I book , even if it’s a compromise and he’s gonna be miserable that I don’t go camping but it’s something I’ve never done - it’s not my idea of a holiday personally.

It seems that your boyfriend is doing the compromising, and you aren't really doing any. He went on the holiday you liked (Mauritius), while you're planning to go on "his" holiday, which is just another type of holiday you like (holiday in the UK staying in nice hotels). TBH, I think you should give camping a try, but maybe the compromise could be a glamping holiday, youth hostel (en suite rooms available) or holiday park in France (choose one with lots of facilities), so you won't need to take all your own gear and set it up. Camping with girl guides is a lot different from a camping holiday as an adult!

As @Admit-One said, the holiday might only a small part of a relationship, but it would be nice to find a solution that suits both of you.
Reply 3
Original post by gaynor_scraggins
It seems that your boyfriend is doing the compromising, and you aren't really doing any. He went on the holiday you liked (Mauritius), while you're planning to go on "his" holiday, which is just another type of holiday you like (holiday in the UK staying in nice hotels). TBH, I think you should give camping a try, but maybe the compromise could be a glamping holiday, youth hostel (en suite rooms available) or holiday park in France (choose one with lots of facilities), so you won't need to take all your own gear and set it up. Camping with girl guides is a lot different from a camping holiday as an adult!

As @Admit-One said, the holiday might only a small part of a relationship, but it would be nice to find a solution that suits both of you.

I see your point but let’s be honest WHO complains about going to an exotic holiday like Mauritius? ( which I paid for, it’s not an issue at all) but if someone paid for a holiday to anywhere hot for that matter I would be over the moon. My point being is that a holiday like Mauritius can’t really be compared to somewhere like camping! I mean sure even going to Greece might but Mauritius is like on another level

my view is that someone complaining about going on holiday to Mauritius can’t be compared to someone complains about going camping in a tent which is usually cold, windy & wet. Surely the general consensus is that most people would prefer Mauritius over camping or am I being v naive?

I just don’t understand how he complain about going to nice hotels? Especially when I’m paying. I could totally understand if he was complaining for financial reasons but he’s not.

but yes I would agree to go glamping, e.g a Shepards Hut, so perhaps we do that instead

Thanks so much
my view is that someone complaining about going on holiday to Mauritius can’t be compared to someone complains about going camping in a tent which is usually cold, windy & wet. Surely the general consensus is that most people would prefer Mauritius over camping or am I being v naive?

Some people despise beach holidays. They might love city breaks, or adventure holidays, or volunteering trips. Some people don't go on any holidays at all. I don't think your BF was comparing the relative merits of your preferences, just that the situation of him doing something for you where you'd just said no, (albeit with the Cotswold breaks).

I hope the glamping ticks both of your boxes :smile:
I see your point but let’s be honest WHO complains about going to an exotic holiday like Mauritius? ( which I paid for, it’s not an issue at all) but if someone paid for a holiday to anywhere hot for that matter I would be over the moon. My point being is that a holiday like Mauritius can’t really be compared to somewhere like camping! I mean sure even going to Greece might but Mauritius is like on another level

I just don’t understand how he complain about going to nice hotels? Especially when I’m paying. I could totally understand if he was complaining for financial reasons but he’s not.

but yes I would agree to go glamping, e.g a Shepards Hut, so perhaps we do that instead

Thanks so much

You would prefer to go to Mauritius, therefore you think everyone would. (I can guarantee that not everyone would, for a number of reasons - Mauritius isn't even on my bucket list tbh). Also, you keep mentioning that you paid for the said trip to Mauritius and that it's not an issue - I think it might be ;-)

A lot of people really don't like beach/hot holidays for a number of reasons. And camping isn't "usually cold, windy and wet" - it depends where and when you go! (Camping in the highlands of Scotland = reasonable chance of rain - sorry, Scotland!)

But definitely try a glamping holiday - as money doesn't appear to be an issue, you'll be able to find a great choice of really good ones :-)
My point being is that a holiday like Mauritius can’t really be compared to somewhere like camping! I mean sure even going to Greece might but Mauritius is like on another level

Well, a little yes and little no, it party comes down to whether you want a holiday to relax or have fun as they are not the same.

I do like camping once in a while, but I'd struggle to call it a holiday as it tends to involve quite a bit of work and roughing it, which is fine if you like the adventure side of it but I can easily accept that some people simply won't enjoy it and no amount of badgering them to do it anyway will change that.

But likewise, although Mauritius/exotic/sun etc sounds a bit more conventionally desirable it still won't be for everyone, some people aren't fond of the heat that much (I'm not) or don't want to spend their holiday taken out of their comfort zone etc. 'Nice' hotels might expect a different standard of behaviour or be a bit stressy to some people, to say nothing of the awkwardness that can arise if they fell pressured because you paid for it all and they can't contribute or feel they lack independence - at the end of the day some people won't enjoy it as a holiday, and that part is absolutely comparable to not wanting to go camping.
Reply 7
Original post by StriderHort
Well, a little yes and little no, it party comes down to whether you want a holiday to relax or have fun as they are not the same.

I do like camping once in a while, but I'd struggle to call it a holiday as it tends to involve quite a bit of work and roughing it, which is fine if you like the adventure side of it but I can easily accept that some people simply won't enjoy it and no amount of badgering them to do it anyway will change that.

But likewise, although Mauritius/exotic/sun etc sounds a bit more conventionally desirable it still won't be for everyone, some people aren't fond of the heat that much (I'm not) or don't want to spend their holiday taken out of their comfort zone etc. 'Nice' hotels might expect a different standard of behaviour or be a bit stressy to some people, to say nothing of the awkwardness that can arise if they fell pressured because you paid for it all and they can't contribute or feel they lack independence - at the end of the day some people won't enjoy it as a holiday, and that part is absolutely comparable to not wanting to go camping.

Yeah I suppose you’re right , I just want to be clear I also like fun’ holidays ie love city breaks / and would love an adventure’ holiday like touring Borneo/ SE Asia / Bali - personally I would still class those as a holiday’ .. but again personally I wouldn’t class camping’ as a holiday due to like you say, a lot of effort & roughing it. My boyfriend of course very enjoys that sort of thing but I hope it’s not completely unreasonable for me to say I wouldn’t go because I would just not enjoy it even though I love his company.

so yes perhaps Glamping could be the best compromise here

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending