The Student Room Group

Judge refuses to cancel contract with producer Dr. Luke who allegedly raped Kesha

Scroll to see replies

Shocking indeed! The lengths people will go to get out of a perfectly legal contract.

One wonders how she managed to work with this man for ten years if he did, indeed, rape her when she was 18, and why she has only now decided to do something about it. One also wonders why Sony's promise to let her work with another producer isn't good enough for her.

One begins to suspect she may just want to find a way out of her contract with Sony, and the alleged rape and ill treatment (the evidence for which was criticised by the judge as too vague) is the only thing she can think of.

Mind you, one also wonders why the producer doesn't sue for libel.
Reply 2
Original post by Good bloke
Shocking indeed! The lengths people will go to get out of a perfectly legal contract.

One wonders how she managed to work with this man for ten years if he did, indeed, rape her when she was 18, and why she has only now decided to do something about it. One also wonders why Sony's promise to let her work with another producer isn't good enough for her.

One begins to suspect she may just want to find a way out of her contract with Sony, and the alleged rape and ill treatment (the evidence for which was criticised by the judge as too vague) is the only thing she can think of.

I thought this too.

Also she can't complain that the court isn't taking her case seriously, she's made it very public that she's taken numerous drugs in the past, so how can she prove that she was 'drugged' that night and not just high off her face on coke through her own choice?

Courts won't take druggies seriously regardless of the claims they are making

This is exactly what i was thinking, honestly looks like crocodile tears!

This comment needs to be put everywhere. For everyone to read.

And I'd like to add on the last point - very true. Personally I would, if I innocent and my reputation was just destroyed, I'd sue every penny I could. I can see why some people, innocent and in the same situation, wouldn't sue however.
Why would you try to maintains contract with someone when the working relationship has clearly entirely broken down?
She's not made music for a long time because she won't work for her rapist and he contract won't allow her to make music herself. This is not a new allegation, it's been going on for years.
Reply 7
You guys should seriously read something about rape and abuse, especially by past victims.

Yes, you can be raped or abused constantly for several years. There are reasons why victims don't escape: they may lose jobs, family and so on. It's not always easy to leave.

Everyone deserves justice regardless of their past. Including drug addicts.
Reply 8
Original post by SmallTownGirl
She's not made music for a long time because she won't work for her rapist and he contract won't allow her to make music herself. This is not a new allegation, it's been going on for years.

She claims the abuse began in soon after she signed a contract in 2005 when she was 18, yet she released an album in 2010 and another in 2012.. if that was me I would've walked away from the music industry right there and then, I wouldn't have released 2 albums then decided I couldn't work with the guy anymore
She's got PTSD and is recovering from anorexia and bulimia because of the psychological abuse she endured. Sony won't get any money from her because she won't work for them after this so there is no reason to continue with the contract other than to prolong her suffering and prevent her from working.
Original post by hollyt93
She claims the abuse began in soon after she signed a contract in 2005 when she was 18, yet she released an album in 2010 and another in 2012.. if that was me I would've walked away from the music industry right there and then, I wouldn't have released 2 albums then decided I couldn't work with the guy anymore

1. Sexual abuse (especially over long periods) very often comes with emotional and psychological abuse where the abuser tells the person they are abusing that they have no way out, that no-one will believe them.

2. The music industry (along with others like modelling and film etc.) are so ****ed up that people starting out are almost forced to put up with any abuses of power because they want to work and the choice is to work with someone who abuses you or not have the career you've spent years working towards. The idea that because she endured it when the other option was to not work in music doesn't mean that it didn't happen, or that she consented. It means that the industry is so ****ing corrupt that people are exploited and abused and see it as 'normal' or the only way to get work.
Original post by Quantex
Why would you try to maintains contract with someone when the working relationship has clearly entirely broken down?

Sony has a contract with her; it is this she is trying to void. Sony has promised to allow a change of producer. The existing producer was not, I believe, a party to this action.
Reply 12

Why are you shocked. She could have very well made this up. Proof?

We'd need to see the contract, if there isn't a clause allowing for criminal conduct to void it, then she has no case anyway.
Original post by Ivanka
You guys should seriously read something about rape and abuse, especially by past victims.

She can work with Sony and a new producer, under the current contract. This action really does not appear to be about the alleged rape and abuse, which is just the reason given for the disallowed voiding of the contract.
she should make the records with another producer. Then she can make records with someone else. I believe her about the abuse but that doesnt justify refusing to work with anyone else.
Reply 15
Original post by Ivanka

Yes, you can be raped or abused constantly for several years. There are reasons why victims don't escape: they may lose jobs, family and so on. It's not always easy to leave.

Everyone deserves justice regardless of their past. Including drug addicts.

I think most people's starting points on this, quite rightly, is "where is the proof". After that it's wrong to make suppositions. That said, all she has given is speculation and hearsay so she's living by the sword...
I'm glad to see people are uncritically taking the side of the humble giant corporation in their brave legal battle against a bullying alleged rape victim.
Reply 17
she didn't want to put him in jail, she simply doesn't want to work with him, it's unfair. zayn quite because he literally was 'unhappy', why can't she? its bulls***t
i have heard of Sony, but not of Doctor Luke or Kesha ?
Reply 19
Original post by SmashConcept
I'm glad to see people are uncritically taking the side of the humble giant corporation in their brave legal battle against a bullying alleged rape victim.

So we shouldn't ask for evidence, we should just believe everything we hear?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending