The Student Room Group

Cancelling accomodation

Hi,

I have decided to drop out of university. Before making this decision I had already booked my student accomodation for 2nd year. I have contated my accomodation to cancel my tenancy, i have been told that this is not possible and I will have to find a replacement tenant, or pay the full price. I obviously want to avoid paying full price for a room I will never even see. Can I ask where is the best place to advertise? Such as a specific facebook group or website? Does anyone know what happens if I simply refuse to pay? Thank you
If you refuse to pay it will more than likely get referred to a debt collection agency.
Reply 2
Original post by Admit-One
If you refuse to pay it will more than likely get referred to a debt collection agency.

If I am unable to find a replacement tenant. Is there any version of this where I don't have to pay the full fee?
Original post by Laurie Pote
If I am unable to find a replacement tenant. Is there any version of this where I don't have to pay the full fee?

If it’s uni managed accommodation, they might be slightly more lenient if you explain that realistically you can’t pay the invoice. They might suggest a payment plan though.

If it’s private, I can’t imagine any way out unfortunately.

Ask your student union and accommodation team for advice on advertising the place.
Original post by tashlane98
I am unsure of your age, although the best method of moving forward is by adopting an 'all or nothing' approach.

If you have the option of applying for credit cards, I would advise to do so.

It's important at this stage in your life you exercise what help is available to you and by that, I mean the upper £30k limit for applying for a £90 debt relief order.

It's a slim line form of bankruptcy which is discharged after a year and removed from your credit file after 6 in total.

You have the option of spending up to £30,000.00 to better your life now, save during that 6 year period and upon the debt relief order being removed from your credit file, you have the chance to apply for the mortgage with the savings you have.

Enjoy your life now and think what that £30,000.00 could buy you? Maybe you want a car or a few 'life changing holidays'

Maybe you want to take your partner out for a few luxury meals.

Or maybe you just need a bit of tender loving care.

Anyhow, £30,000 worth of credit cards would assume an average credit limit of around £2,000.00 per card if you had 15 cards.

Withdrawing £500.00 at a time, would mean 60 withdrawals, so sure, you'd probably need to go to a few machines.

Then the world is your oyster, £30,000.00 tax free :smile:

You’ve incorrectly quoted me rather than the OP.

This is amongst the very worst financial advice I’ve ever read. Given your post history, that’s of no surprise.

Please follow TSR forum rules and provide constructive advice for the OP’s current circumstances.
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One
You’ve incorrectly quoted me rather than the OP.

This is amongst the very worst financial advice I’ve ever read. Given your post history, that’s of no surprise.

Please follow TSR forum rules and provide constructive advice for the OP’s current circumstances.

That's a fairly subjective opinion.

OP is clearly implicated in a rather stressful situation.

My comments were intended as an 'escape' from the here and now while additionally providing a positive pathway for a better future.

I draw your attentions to my 'positive' remarks on saving for future, the comments on spending money on causes which contribute to the growth of OPs future, whether in a physical sense or mental health capacity and thirdly, I provided a time line for addressing the issues raised.

My constructive advice is to do all they can in the short term to better their life and expand opportunity while at the same time saving during the longer term (6 years) in order to best secure a financial stake in the future.

While I appreciate you may not find my advice constructive, which again, is a rather subjective opinon, if I was in a similar situation I would look to adopt the same :smile:
(edited 9 months ago)
That's a fairly subjective opinion.

OP is clearly implicated in a rather stressful situation.

My comments were intended as an 'escape' from the here and now while additionally providing a positive pathway for a better future.

I draw your attentions to my 'positive' remarks on saving for future, the comments on spending money on causes which contribute to the growth of OPs future, whether in a physical sense or mental health capacity and thirdly, I provided a time line for addressing the issues raised.

My constructive advice is to do all they can in the short term to better their life and expand opportunity while at the same time saving during the longer term (6 years) in order to best secure a financial stake in the future.

While I appreciate you may not find my advice constructive, which again, is a rather subjective opinon, if I was in a similar situation I would look to adopt the same :smile:

Theres nothing subjective or constructive about telling someone looking to pass on an accommodation contract to renege on the debt, rack up £30k on 15 credit cards and then declare bankruptcy. It is inane advice and I would expect better from someone ostensibly drawing up fiscal policy with which to get elected.
I am unsure of your age, although the best method of moving forward is by adopting an 'all or nothing' approach.

If you have the option of applying for credit cards, I would advise to do so.

It's important at this stage in your life you exercise what help is available to you and by that, I mean the upper £30k limit for applying for a £90 debt relief order.

It's a slim line form of bankruptcy which is discharged after a year and removed from your credit file after 6 in total.

You have the option of spending up to £30,000.00 to better your life now, save during that 6 year period and upon the debt relief order being removed from your credit file, you have the chance to apply for the mortgage with the savings you have.

Enjoy your life now and think what that £30,000.00 could buy you? Maybe you want a car or a few 'life changing holidays'

Maybe you want to take your partner out for a few luxury meals.

Or maybe you just need a bit of tender loving care.

Anyhow, £30,000 worth of credit cards would assume an average credit limit of around £2,000.00 per card if you had 15 cards.

Withdrawing £500.00 at a time, would mean 60 withdrawals, so sure, you'd probably need to go to a few machines.

Then the world is your oyster, £30,000.00 tax free :smile:

This is just downright irresponsible advice.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Charles III
This is just downright irresponsible advice.

It's all good dudes. They told me since I've dropped out I don't have to pay. As for spending thousands on a credit card I don't have, i'll give that a miss for now
Original post by Laurie Pote
It's all good dudes. They told me since I've dropped out I don't have to pay. As for spending thousands on a credit card I don't have, i'll give that a miss for now

Great news and glad to hear one person in the thread has some common sense :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest