The Student Room Group

Maintenance Loan

Hey, I’m a migrant worker on my second year of Uni, this year has been hectic as the last December my employer fired everyone allegedly claiming bankruptcy but they have been operating. (Never provided P45 and they are still owing me almost 2K).
After that been working since the summer till September for another company that threat me without leaving without pay, they forced me to end up finishing my employment and they weren’t providing me shifts, (the pay was delayed for a month, and never provided the pertinent P45), after that I landed a job that was unbearable the head chef would spend the whole shift talking on the phone with his family so the environment and the working hours were very complicated to work with (imagine being 3 people in a kitchen and the one who is running it is not focus and talking all the time on the phone, leaving me stranded as I was new in the restaurant), I been very stress due to my assignments and submissions so after seeing the deadlines coming in I was afraid of failing and I quit, that left me around a month without working (applying to a new position in the meantime) and I just been able to pick up couple shifts as a self employed, my maintenance loan was cancelled and i genuinely think this is not fair at all, as a professional who wants to evolve and gonna end up paying for his loan plus tuition fees I see this measure completely out of place.

Thanks a lot
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 1
Read your finance documents; your maintenance loan will stop if you leave your course because you're no longer a student and are seen as no longer needing it.

Did you seek help from your uni when you were struggling to complete assignments? What's your intention with your studies? What makes you a 'professional'?

You could speak with the Citizens Advice Bureau about the situation with your ex-employers.
Reply 2
Original post by Surnia
Read your finance documents; your maintenance loan will stop if you leave your course because you're no longer a student and are seen as no longer needing it.

Did you seek help from your uni when you were struggling to complete assignments? What's your intention with your studies? What makes you a 'professional'?

You could speak with the Citizens Advice Bureau about the situation with your ex-employers.

Read my post.
Im a student.
Seek? If teachers are striking they don’t care at all.
What makes me a professional? Work in michelin star restaurants and fine dinning for 10 years, maybe? Do I have to give you this explanations?
Reply 3
Original post by Fab0072
Read my post.
Im a student.
Seek? If teachers are striking they don’t care at all.
What makes me a professional? Work in michelin star restaurants and fine dinning for 10 years, maybe? Do I have to give you this explanations?

So did you quit your job or your course? Why was your maintenance loan cancelled, then?
Reply 4
“was afraid of failing and Iquit, that left me around a month without working(applying to a new position in the meantime)” MY job, obviously if I left uni why I would bother with student finance? I just quit my job…
But at the end of the day those are my Ps, I’m gonna have to end up paying for them
Reply 5
Original post by Fab0072
“was afraid of failing and Iquit, that left me around a month without working(applying to a new position in the meantime)” MY job, obviously if I left uni why I would bother with student finance? I just quit my job…
But at the end of the day those are my Ps, I’m gonna have to end up paying for them

You still haven't explained why your maintenance loan was cancelled.
Reply 6
Original post by Surnia
You still haven't explained why your maintenance loan was cancelled.

Because I don’t even know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending