The Student Room Group

Homeopathy effective for 0 out of 68 illnesses, study finds

Link

No **** Sherlock.

Scroll to see replies

I think it can help with hypochondria.
I am truly shocked. I fully expected to find that water diluted with water would prove efficacious against dozens of illnesses.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Good bloke
I am truly shocked. I fully expected to find that water diluted with water would prove efficacious against dozens of illnesses.

We don't have alternative maths, physics, mechanics, food, or law.

Why the **** do we have "alternative" medicine?

:|
Original post by apronedsamurai

It was invented for anti-vaxers, I think.
I think it still works as a placebo.
Original post by apronedsamurai

Yep, "alternative" medicine that is found to be effective for treating the condition it is said to treat becomes... medicine. These kinds of studies are important to prevent people less knowledgeable about science from being sucked in to this sort of thing, potentially with fatal consequences. There's no help for people who actually beleive this stuff, though.
Reply 8
Original post by DiddyDec

On dumb people yeah, but we don't want to save them.
Thanks for the link @thunder_chunky. The result is unsurprising, of course.

I am not sure, though, why people are anti-homeopathy and yet freely go to to pharmacies to buy sugar pills and sugar syrups with little to no active ingredients.

Original post by Jebedee
On dumb people yeah, but we don't want to save them.

This study found that even after patients knew they were taking a placebo, they still felt the effects (granted they'd already associated the placebo with medical effects). It certainly isn't a "dumb people" thing.
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't believe a word of this so called study by so called scientists. I once saw a homeopath and he cured me of an influenza infection in several days. Can science do that? Obviously this is a conspiracy theory by big pharma to keep us ill and make billions from our suffering.

Now where did I put my tinfoil hat?
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
It certainly isn't a "dumb people" thing.

It really is though. It falls into the same catagory as astrology
Original post by KimKallstrom

It isn't dumb to feel the effects of a placebo. That's what I meant. Perhaps I misunderstood.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by KimKallstrom

Read the thread before commenting, mayhaps. He was clearly talking about the nature of the placebo effect, rather than subscription to homeopathy.

Most opponents of homeopathy apply a different standard to homeopathy than they apply to other treatments.

Homeopathy is usually tested against a standard of it "being no better than a placebo", meaning no more effective in clinical trials.

If you invent an over-the-counter pain killer, it would not have to meet a standard of being better than paracetamol. It would be good enough if it was as effective as paracetamol and was cheaper or safer or had fewer side effects than paracetamol.

Is homeopathy as good as a placebo? I don't think the evidence base exists, one way or the other.

Does homeopathy have any other advantages over a placebo? Yes, it probably does, because although its practitioners spend longer on average with patients than do doctors, the time cost of a homeopath is much lower. Therefore homeopathy is probably cheaper than a placebo.

Does homeopathy have significant disadvantages over a placebo? Here we are in the realms of anecdote. Opponents of homeopathy highlight the possibility of homeopathic remedies being inappropriately prescribed. Is there any real evidence that homeopathic remedies are inappropriately prescribed more frequently than placebos. Again, I don't think there is an evidence base either way.

Yeah, but placebo is the measuring stick by which we determine if our therapy works. A functional medicine has to work better than placebo.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Yeah, but placebo is the measuring stick by which we determine if our therapy works. A functional medicine has to work better than placebo.

In most areas of life, the baseline that is used is "doing nothing". We know that a placebo is more effective than "doing nothing" for many conditions, so in requiring homeopathy to achieve more than a placebo rather than more than "doing nothing" one is imposing an arbitrary benchmark (the effect of a placebo) uniquely on homeopathy.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Thanks for the link @thunder_chunky. The result is unsurprising, of course.

I am not sure, though, why people are anti-homeopathy and yet freely go to to pharmacies to buy sugar pills and sugar syrups with little to no active ingredients.

+1

I think cough syrups (that don't /actually/ cure anything) are by far the worst and I laugh at people who spend obscene amounts of money on a brand, when the supermarket basic version is just as 'effective'.
Original post by Quantex
I don't believe a word of this so called study by so called scientists. I once saw a homeopath and he cured me of an influenza infection in several days. Can science do that? Obviously this is a conspiracy theory by big pharma to keep us ill and make billions from our suffering.

You are being unfair on doctors.

If you had gone to a doctor with your influenza virus, he would have cured it, as tens of thousands of others with similar viruses are cured every year, by prescribing you an antibiotic.
Reply 19
Original post by nulli tertius
You are being unfair on doctors.

If you had gone to a doctor with your influenza virus, he would have cured it, as tens of thousands of others with similar viruses are cured every year, by prescribing you an antibiotic.

Am i missing something here? Virus cured by an antibiotic, right..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending