The Student Room Group

Feeling Stuck: Low Grades Holding Back My UK Uni Dreams

Hey everyone,

Feeling a bit down and hoping for some advice. I'm dreaming of a Master's in the UK, focusing on climate change mitigation and tech, but my undergrad CGPA is around 68%. Worried this might shut the door on some great Russell Group unis.

A bit about me:
- 7-8 years in data engineering and analytics.
- Worked with in climate change and with UNICEF.
- Currently working on methodologies to accurately measure carbon offsets.
- GRE score: 321
- TOEFL score: 105

Has anyone navigated these waters with a similar %? Any tips, stories, or advice would mean the world to me!

Thanks a ton
Reply 1
never been in this position but lots of good unis (including Russel group) will give offer even if you don't meet the entry requirements if you have lots of relevant experience which you def have so should be fine imo
Reply 2
Original post by Anpx
never been in this position but lots of good unis (including Russel group) will give offer even if you don't meet the entry requirements if you have lots of relevant experience which you def have so should be fine imo

That's extremely relieving! couldn't find any examples at all on the internet of success with low grades for UK unis. Do you know any examples?
When you say undergrad GPA, is that a weighted mark from a UK uni, or something you’ve converted from an actual GPA?
Reply 4
Original post by Yyyyg
That's extremely relieving! couldn't find any examples at all on the internet of success with low grades for UK unis. Do you know any examples?

not specific examples but on many uni pages I've read below entry requirement application will be judged on case by case basis or that you should can apply if you've got relevant experience e.g., Bristol (I was looking at the neuropsychology courses). also I don't know what CGPA is lol but a 68% here is a high 2:1 which is what the minimum requirement is for all good unis so I think youll be fine. you ve got a ton of experience I'd be surprised if you don't get an offer from your top choice uni tbh
Reply 5
Original post by Admit-One
When you say undergrad GPA, is that a weighted mark from a UK uni, or something you’ve converted from an actual GPA?

-> The original score was in percentage: 68%

-> After conversation it's: 2.72/4
Reply 6
Original post by Anpx
not specific examples but on many uni pages I've read below entry requirement application will be judged on case by case basis or that you should can apply if you've got relevant experience e.g., Bristol (I was looking at the neuropsychology courses). also I don't know what CGPA is lol but a 68% here is a high 2:1 which is what the minimum requirement is for all good unis so I think youll be fine. you ve got a ton of experience I'd be surprised if you don't get an offer from your top choice uni tbh

Thanks again. My experience is very relevant for the courses I am aiming for. Additionally, the courses I am aiming for are very niche and have recently started in universities. I really want to get in, hence, the anxiety.
Original post by Yyyyg
-> The original score was in percentage: 68%

-> After conversation it's: 2.72/4

What country are you studying for undergrad?
Reply 8

Did Bachelor's from India. Aiming for MSc in UK(1st priority) or EU.
Reply 9

Any insights you can provide would be helpful? ✌️✌️
Hi @Yyyyg ,

Have you had a look at the Renewable Energy MSc at Cranfield University?
Renewable Energy MSc (cranfield.ac.uk)

There are other relevant MSc courses you might be interested in at Cranfield too, for example: Global Environmental Change MSc; Future Food Sustainability MSc; Management and Corporate Sustainability MSc; Environmental Engineering MSc; Environmental Management for Business MSc.

We are postgraduate-only with lots of international students, and lots of students who have previous work/ business experience. We have strong industry connections and a very well-respected School of Management here. So as you would expect, our entry requirements take relevant work experience into account. Your work experience sounds very relevant to what you want to pursue.

You can find more entry requirement information here: Entry requirements (cranfield.ac.uk)
We also have a Pre-master's course in Engineering if that might be of interest to you: Pre-master's in Engineering (cranfield.ac.uk)

I can't advise you on whether your application would be successful, and I'm not personally familiar with how your score translates to a UK equivalent, but it would be worth contacting our admissions team for advice on this.

Their contact information:
Tel: +44 (0)1234 758540
Enquiry form: Enquiry form (cranfield.ac.uk)

I hope this is helpful, please keep in touch with any further questions!

Gemma
2nd Year PhD Student (Environment & Agrifood)
Student Ambassador
Original post by Yyyyg
Did Bachelor's from India. Aiming for MSc in UK(1st priority) or EU.

Unis in India are often informally ranked, (either publicly on a unis website, or behind the scenes), so it's not really possible to say based on 68% overall whether that be competitive. It would vary depending on where you were applying to and how they considered your previous uni

Your best bet is to contact unis that you are considering with your undergrad transcript and see how encouraging they are. Include your CV, as your work exp might play a part too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending