The Student Room Group

Time on campus

I am suppose to be starting University on 1st Sept 2023 at Stirling to do Sports Coaching, How often do you need to be on campus for this course, as I am single parent and worried about if travelling 68 miles away will be too much and should consider changing Uni's
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 1
I don't study this degree and it is something very different to my uni situation. In regards to time on campus your timetable will be changing every semester so your routine will be changing often, there will be times where you are home often and times when you won't be because class times can vary a lot. If you have family/friends to look after your child whilst you are away for long periods of time then maybe it will work out, but even then things will be difficult and it'll be hard for you. I feel as though in this situation, it would be better for you to be going to uni that is much closer, like in your home city. It'd be easier in regards to commute that way and looking after your child. I hope things work out for you and good luck on your degree.
I am pretty sure you don’t even have to attend them in-person. From now-on I’m just watching them online. Who can be bothered to travel early in the morning ?
Reply 3
Having had a look at the course I can say much depends on the elective modules you choose. In a year you need to take 120 credits. Surprisingly there is only one 20-credit compulsory module each semester in year 1 - that's 40 compulsory credits. Then a choice from 29/30 others to make up the other 80 credits. If you were to pick say, 'introduction to cell biology' then you can expect 2-4 hours of lectures each week for that particular module followed by at least 3 hours of lab time each week - effectively a day. if you chose 'accounting and finance' then you can expect 2-4 hours of lectures/tutorials a week coupled with self-study (which you can do from home). Ditto for the other social science topics like Spanish or History.

The number of compulsory modules increases in year 2 so its best to speak to the department now to understand the split between taught and self-study hours for the compulsory modules. That may determine whether you still go to Stirling or choose a uni closer to home for you.
Original post by Knoxy72
I am suppose to be starting University on 1st Sept 2023 at Stirling to do Sports Coaching, How often do you need to be on campus for this course, as I am single parent and worried about if travelling 68 miles away will be too much and should consider changing Uni's

Hi there,

I personally don't attend this uni or do this course but I would say the best thing to do is to try and get in touch with someone at the uni to ask them, there may be an email address on their website or some kind of open day/ambassador event you can go to to ask them.

I hope this helps,

Ellen
Y3 Medical Student
University of Sunderland
Digital Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending