The Student Room Group

Advice

Hi,
Back in August I spoke to SFE advisor regarding returning to university, I advised I already held a foundation degree and wondered if I could complete a different foundation degree due to ill health while studying the honours degree. She informed me I could apply under compelling personal reasons and get my years of education back. I asked if me already holding a foundation degree would effect me getting maintenance and fee loan to which she assured me would be fine in my compelling personal reasons was accepted.
Obviously this information was false, however I have now enrolled on the course and now I am liable for the fees due to incorrect information being given by student finance!
Has anyone else been in this situation? I don’t think student finance should be allowed to give out incorrect information that then leads students finding themselfs in severe debt due to there mistakes, but then state ooh sorry there’s nothing we can do.
Has anyone had any luck at appeals?
Original post by Char312
Hi,
Back in August I spoke to SFE advisor regarding returning to university, I advised I already held a foundation degree and wondered if I could complete a different foundation degree due to ill health while studying the honours degree. She informed me I could apply under compelling personal reasons and get my years of education back. I asked if me already holding a foundation degree would effect me getting maintenance and fee loan to which she assured me would be fine in my compelling personal reasons was accepted.
Obviously this information was false, however I have now enrolled on the course and now I am liable for the fees due to incorrect information being given by student finance!
Has anyone else been in this situation? I don’t think student finance should be allowed to give out incorrect information that then leads students finding themselfs in severe debt due to there mistakes, but then state ooh sorry there’s nothing we can do.
Has anyone had any luck at appeals?

Hi there,

Have you submitted and appeal yet? When you previously studied how many years did you study for and did you need to repeat. If you didn't need to repeat and then got the qualification you would not have been entitled to Compelling Personal Reasons as you finished the years.

Thanks, Drew

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending