The Student Room Group

When do you think the downfall of music started?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by malware
@StrawbAri took a song from the middle of their career thus far

[video="youtube;81RqEnvczV8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81RqEnvczV8[/video]

80s pop sound, with a Swedish dance sound and a modern EDM twist. It's all right, might listen to more for a better idea. Not my kinda thing though. Her voice is a little too angelic. Maybe you'll like this

I've heard this actually. I prefer we sink tbh.

Too angelic :rofl:
Original post by StrawbAri
Have you heard Babel by them? Very emotional singing and the guitar on it is very folky.

Lol they don't like anything that's too 'mainstream' and chvrches have more that 100,000 scrobbles on last.fm so clearly far too popular for their tastes.

Nah chvrches is more synth/electronic. Lorde is more Lana del Ray :yep:

Emotional like the lyrics, or the power in their voice? The singer can sound a bit distraught while still sounding strong, I like it. Oh folky guitar, noice.

Lana del Rey from what I've heard has this somber, natural sound to her. I can't with Lorde. I made one comment on a Youtube video and fans blew their tits. I avoid her so I won't become them rofl.
I've heard this actually. I prefer we sink tbh.

Too angelic :rofl:

:eek: In the prior comment, I linked "this" to a video I want you to listen to.
Ah yea I just picked a random Chvrches song, not too new not too old.
Original post by malware
Emotional like the lyrics, or the power in their voice? The singer can sound a bit distraught while still sounding strong, I like it. Oh folky guitar, noice.

Lana del Rey from what I've heard has this somber, natural sound to her. I can't with Lorde. I made one comment on a Youtube video and fans blew their tits. I avoid her so I won't become them rofl.

The power in his voice :yep:

You've never listenened to her before? :eek:
She has a very emotive voice and really likes minor chords.
:lol: fans on YouTube are the worst

Original post by malware
:eek: In the prior comment, I linked "this" to a video I want you to listen to.
Ah yea I just picked a random Chvrches song, not too new not too old.

I used to really like Bjork :eek: not sure why I stopped listening.
No: the very best of what humanity has to offer in the way of curated sonic delicacies is more accessible now than ever before. Frankly, if you lack the rudimentary intelligence to query Bandcamp, Soundcloud, Youtube, Mixcloud, Juno, Bleep, Pitchfork, Resident Advisor and a myriad independent podcasts catering to just about every conceivable preference, Radio 1's 'track of the day' is nothing less than you deserve.
Original post by RF_PineMarten
I don't think that "downfall" has happened.

It's just that the bad stuff tends to be forgotten. There was a lot of rubbish around in the 70s, 80s and 90s etc in the charts alongside all the classics, but we only remember the classics that remain popular years later - we don't remember the terrible ones, or if we do then we remember it as being terrible or a joke.

Time filters out most of the rubbish, and it will do the same with current music. There is some good music out there today that will stand the test of time.

Examples?

I really can't think of many songs or artists nowadays which will still be fondly remembered in 20 years time.
Reply 106
In terms of quality the last good year was 2012, in terms of the industry as a whole 2013. since 2014 the quality has been awful the industry is dying and the entertainment is gone, award shows are dead since there's no award worthy music and everyone just seems to be overrated. It certainly isn't as good as it was in 2000s.
Original post by lilacwanda28
when people started becoming arrogant elitists and thinking music was deteriorating.

Original post by e aí rapaz
No such downfall has occurred. Sorry OP.

Original post by homeland.lsw
Well in my opinion it did :h:

exactly what I meant....the moment you think the downfall starts is when it actually starts.
Original post by malware
Hear, hear! *Ace of Base* :rofl:

ACE OF BASE!!! I listen to that occasionally!!

Spoiler

March 1, 1994.
The power in his voice :yep:

You've never listenened to her before? :eek:
She has a very emotive voice and really likes minor chords.
:lol: fans on YouTube are the worst

I used to really like Bjork :eek: not sure why I stopped listening.

I overheard "Young and Beautiful" and I just really like the depth of her voice, how she can create loneliness with her low sleepy tone, Idk. She has a proper lullaby voice.
Early 2000s.
Original post by similarBlank
March 1, 1994.

toni braxton winning an award?
Original post by similarBlank
March 1, 1994.

go on...
sooo Selena (not Gomez) won an award...so culturalisation in pop music. Kind of a good thing.
Nirvana's last concert I believe. Ok...
Pink Floyd broke up in 94 I believe? That is a tragedy in itself.
Madonna.

Cool. 90s is where the vein of music busted. I agree.
toni braxton winning an award?

:toofunny:
Original post by malware
:toofunny:

Original post by malware
go on...
sooo Selena (not Gomez) won an award...so culturalisation in pop music. Kind of a good thing.
Nirvana's last concert I believe. Ok...
Pink Floyd broke up in 94 I believe? That is a tragedy in itself.
Madonna.

Cool. 90s is where the vein of music busted. I agree.

OOHHHHH Justin Bieber was born on that day!!!
When Beethoven wrote his 3rd symphony; critics hated it and rightly so, all just noise imo as is everything since
OOHHHHH Justin Bieber was born on that day!!!

:colonhash:

I'm so glad I didn't know that on my own lol
Original post by malware
:colonhash:

I'm so glad I didn't know that on my own lol

:colondollar:
[video="youtube;Wb9XGgBUlpA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb9XGgBUlpA[/video]

If you like psychedelic rock/70s (similar to Joy Division sound, ngl) this is good even though it's in Japanese but here are the lyrics. I love this stuff.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest