The Student Room Group

Can you study with background music?

I know this is a pretty old and overused question but it would really help to know if listening to music while revising distracts you or not, if not what kind of music you listen to and whether you try to keep music for flashcards or writing notes etc. Tysm for reading.
Reply 1
i sometimes study with music but without lyrics so the words don't distract me. but also sometimes i just find best to not have anything at all and just be in a quiet area
Entirely depends on the person. I can't study with music. My daughter can't study without it.

Try listening to some music and try without and see which suits you better.
Original post by Anonymous
I know this is a pretty old and overused question but it would really help to know if listening to music while revising distracts you or not, if not what kind of music you listen to and whether you try to keep music for flashcards or writing notes etc. Tysm for reading.

soemthing without lyrics,
Something that isn’t loud and obnoxious but calming and chill
soemthing you like bht won’t start dancing in the middle of your study sesh
Reply 4
Definitely yes when writing assignments etc, I find it helps me stay on track and not be distracted. When revising for exams I find it better to not have music whilst I’m really trying to understand a topic, but when I’m just doing practise questions and stuff then definitely with music
Reply 5
is it just me or is it that everytime I listen to lo-fi beats it makes me sleepy
Reply 6
Original post by dragon0273
is it just me or is it that everytime I listen to lo-fi beats it makes me sleepy

yes thats what happens to me lol
Reply 7
i just listen to my normal playlist but i just have to keep it at a low volume

most of my friends find it pretty useful to listen to music without lyrics so they dont get tempted to sing along!
Reply 8
Original post by Anonymous

Id say it depends on the person. People will tell you if you feel the need to then to listen to instrumentals but personally i just listen to my normal music and i even listen to certain artists when i revise certain subjects which actually helps me recall information.
Reply 9
Yes I do! Plays from my speakers, not from my headphones. None of the catchy pop stuff big no-no -> more acoustic/sad songs things you can't sing along but a bit calming (i have an exam szn playlist to which i religiously listen to visions of gideon). The only time i play music in my headphones is when im making flashcards!
Reply 10
Original post by Anonymous #1

i don't think it helps when you have to memorise things as you will be distracted but doing passive things like making flashcards and like the other person said writing assignments ,
Personally , i don't use music while studying but when doing passive things - making resources i do listen to !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending