The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

St Andrews Applicants 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 800
Original post by justbex
I got an unconditional, you? It is reallyy nice

Aw congratulations!! I'll take your word for it ahaha. I got a conditional since I'm only in 5th year
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by bihter
Aw congratulations!! I'll take your word for it ahaha. I got a conditional since I'm only in 5th year

Thank you! Well done to you too, you'll just need to see what you think after the open day:smile:
Original post by nervousfish
Unconditional for French, German, and Italian!

Congrats to you!

Out of interest, when did you hear/ apply? I'm still waiting to hear for modern languages.
(edited 8 years ago)
I've applied for French and Spanish. Whilst waiting to hear, I have hit upon a dilemma: should I contact the university to ask to move my application to French, Spanish and Classics?

The context is that I have live interests in many areas - history, philosophy, politics, sociology, literature and anthropology - that exist not only within the frontiers of the francophone and hispanophones worlds. I think it's an excellent thing that unis here allow you to study comparatively broadly! To my knowledge, St Andrews is the only university where you can take a triple honours degree. I am fairly confident that if I were admitted and attended, I would choose to study these three disciplines as I wish to broaden my curriculum to include founding philosophy and history (without dropping Spanish, which I have considered, in place of Classics and a Cervantes test).

I was wondering how possible it is to pursue triple honours if admitted to a double honours degree? I wrote my PS for French and Spanish (although I discussed modern and contemporary French philosophy) so perhaps this would be problematic in terms of being assessed for entrance to classics? It would be really helpful if anyone could share about demand for classics as an outside course at St Andrews.

Thanks for reading! I would welcome ppl's opinions :smile:

PS. Of course, I may be suffering from a bad case of application jitters.... but I am really keen on doing classics. : )
Reply 804
Anybody else waiting for English? I have been waiting like 5 months and want to start thinking about firming my top choice!!!!
I'm applying for MA International Relations.
My application status recently changed to "on waiting list"... who knows exactly what it means??

Thank you
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Des_Lumières
I've applied for French and Spanish. Whilst waiting to hear, I have hit upon a dilemma: should I contact the university to ask to move my application to French, Spanish and Classics?

The context is that I have live interests in many areas - history, philosophy, politics, sociology, literature and anthropology - that exist not only within the frontiers of the francophone and hispanophones worlds. I think it's an excellent thing that unis here allow you to study comparatively broadly! To my knowledge, St Andrews is the only university where you can take a triple honours degree. I am fairly confident that if I were admitted and attended, I would choose to study these three disciplines as I wish to broaden my curriculum to include founding philosophy and history (without dropping Spanish, which I have considered, in place of Classics and a Cervantes test).

I was wondering how possible it is to pursue triple honours if admitted to a double honours degree? I wrote my PS for French and Spanish (although I discussed modern and contemporary French philosophy) so perhaps this would be problematic in terms of being assessed for entrance to classics? It would be really helpful if anyone could share about demand for classics as an outside course at St Andrews.

Thanks for reading! I would welcome ppl's opinions :smile:

PS. Of course, I may be suffering from a bad case of application jitters.... but I am really keen on doing classics. : )

You don't need to contact them to change your degree immediately to include classics, just pick some classics modules in your first year and it'll be quite easy to incorporate that into your degree later on should you still wish. :smile:
received my offer for IR+Econ :smile:
Original post by MIKT
Anybody else waiting for English? I have been waiting like 5 months and want to start thinking about firming my top choice!!!!

Still waiting. Sent mine off in October.
just got my unconditional offer for philosophy and classics. coming from boston as a transfer.
Congratulations! They seem to have finally begun to send offers for Philosophy. When did you apply?
Original post by teenagecrime
received my offer for IR+Econ :smile:

Wow congrats!! I applied for this. When did you apply, if I may ask? Are you international?
Original post by tomsaja
Congratulations! They seem to have finally begun to send offers for Philosophy. When did you apply?

Thanks! I applied around the first week of January.
Original post by miniroll
Hey guys, Any idea when we apply for accomodation? I received my offer for IR a couple of weeks back. I was wondering if there is a pros/cons list of the accommodation types anywhere? Thanks!

Have a search around TSR. There is definitely a thread of it somewhere because I've looked at it. Search St Andrews accommodation and you should find it.

All my friends up there say don't go to DRA- it's expensive and far away from the town.
Has anyone received an offer for Social Anthroplogy? I've not see anyone mention it, I haven't heard back yet😥
Reply 815
Original post by MIKT

Same situation here!! I applied for English in October and still haven't heard a thing... I got an unconditional from Durham already so I'm kind of leaning towards them now, but I'm trying to tell myself to be patient and wait... I'm planning to visit St. Andrews on the open day in Easter (and visiting Durham too), so will make my mind up then... The big thing is that St Andrews would be free for me because I'm from the EU... Otherwise I would probably get more annoyed that they're still keeping us waiting aha :')
Reply 816
Original post by careyboyle
Still waiting. Sent mine off in October.

Same here... What's taking them SO long?
Original post by Des_Lumières
Congrats to you!

Out of interest, when did you hear/ apply? I'm still waiting to hear for modern languages.

Thank you!

I sent my application January 15 (yeah, I know, feel free to shame me), and I heard back last Friday (February 19). I'm also an international student, so that might change things as far as how/when they release decisions.
Original post by ntanationa
Wow congrats!! I applied for this. When did you apply, if I may ask? Are you international?

I applied late january, but I am international
Has anyone heard anything for Biochemistry?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending