The Student Room Group

Stressed please help

I'm in yr 11 and I'm failing some subjects at the moment...

Maths - I'm an E atm and I really wanna pass but I am so forgetful! I've begun to revise for May and June but I am so scared I'm going to continue getting an E in it.. I just dunno what to do:frown: I've always struggled at maths

Science - this is the same. We just had mock week and I revised so much for the science mocks and somehow I got f in all 3 papers! Again, it's an extra GCSEs so I want to pass it

Environmental Studies - this I am a D On at the moment but I want to get to a C because I don't wanna loose a gcse again! What's the best thing to do

History - I picked history because it's been a subject I thoroughly enjoy but since year 10 and the cold war etc it's just so much to remember and again, I revised for hours for my history mock and I done terrible on it - Battle of Britain sources.

Have you ever been in this situation or similar and how Can I get a C :smile:
Reply 1
My greatest advice is to do PAST PAPERS, PAST PAPERS AND MORE PAST PAPERS.

You may not enjoy them but they are a key to success in my book. Do maybe one a week or more if you're really dedicated then bring up the mark scheme after and go through and mark them yourself and then make sure to correct where you have gone wrong, focusing your revision on what you clearly do not know.

About your grades in mocks, you sound like you were in a similar situation to me when I was close to taking to real exams. I knew I wasn't doing well and I think you can see that too but that spurred me on to improve! As long as you are doing hard revision most days up until the summer exams you will be sure to improve your grades, I went up 1 or 2 grades and in some cases 3 from mocks to the real thing, it's definitely possible if you put the work in but you have to ask yourself, am I really trying or revising enough? I was literally the same as you but came out with 8As 1B and a D in Spanish which I didn't try for at all really which I kind of regret.

If you really are revising hard and still getting duff grades maybe change your revision style, instead of sitting with a textbook reading and making the odd note, look up some other and more dynamic revision styles. Although my favourite was always past papers as you can correct where you have gone wrong after.

There is no magic way to get the results you want apart from just putting the hard effort in and using your teachers for extra support where you are struggling.

I wish you the best of luck on your exams and hope to hear how you got on!

Don't give up!
Reply 2
Original post by Billyy Barness

The ways to succeed at GSCE are as follows:
-Pay close attention in all lessons and make careful notes. Unfortunately this cannot be done last-minute, so this might not be an option

-Study for hours. Aim for 1 hour on a weekday, and 3-5 on the weekend. Just bang your head against the textbook until some of it goes in. You could also try group revision sessions with friends - it helps with motivation and with staying on-task.

-Practice. Do tons and tons of practice papers, they are far more helpful than any other metric for determining your progress. ASk your teachers for extra work if you run out.

-Get a sociopathic tutor who will torture you until you get good grades. This is the best way, but it might be expensive.

As for how to reduce stress, go to bed earlier and pick up a hobby.

Source: 9 or 10 A*s at GSCE last year (i forget).
Original post by crump2t
Source: 9 or 10 A*s at GSCE last year (i forget).

So many theres just no point :P
Original post by Billyy Barness
I'm in yr 11 and I'm failing some subjects at the moment...

Maths - I'm an E atm and I really wanna pass but I am so forgetful! I've begun to revise for May and June but I am so scared I'm going to continue getting an E in it.. I just dunno what to do:frown: I've always struggled at maths

Science - this is the same. We just had mock week and I revised so much for the science mocks and somehow I got f in all 3 papers! Again, it's an extra GCSEs so I want to pass it

Environmental Studies - this I am a D On at the moment but I want to get to a C because I don't wanna loose a gcse again! What's the best thing to do

History - I picked history because it's been a subject I thoroughly enjoy but since year 10 and the cold war etc it's just so much to remember and again, I revised for hours for my history mock and I done terrible on it - Battle of Britain sources.

at the beginning for year 10 i achieved an E grade in maths and then 92/100 in foundation when i had another test , my teacher was very impressed so she moved me up one set... and then when i had a mock in yr 10 i achieved a solid C grade and then i moved up again and then i ended up doing higher in year 11 and in may my real exams i got an A grade :yeah:
And the key is to do every pastpaper you can- don't just do the pastpaper and check your answers and then just do nothing if you got any wrong- refer back to them and do practice questions on the topics you aren't feeling happy about or ask me if you want any help :h:
plus this link is specifically for maths and has the maths 2015 june and nov exams if you want to do them and also has many other resources that may help u :smile:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3906471

Quick Reply

Latest