The Student Room Group

prolonged dissertation stress

Hi guys,
I'm in my 3rd year undergrad marine biology and I'm in the last couple of months of my dissertation. A few weeks ago I had to restart from the beginning due to my field work completely falling through. Obviously this has really stressed me out given that I was left with 10 weeks to do my whole diss but I feel like I've stayed on top of the work pretty well doing a bit everyday and I'm still technically not behind on the module schedule.
My issue is that I have not enjoyed the last 2.5 years at uni and this has just rubbed salt in the wound. I'm exhausted and stressed and I'm desperate for this to be over. I know I'm making progress but it's slow and I feel like I'm in this constant state of half panic where I know I'm fine but I'm also really stressed. Living with this right now feels like when you're running in a nightmare, I can feel the stress, failure and worst-case ending are right on my tail but I'm just one step ahead and it makes me feel like crying all the time.
The only way this ends is when my diss is submitted but that's not exactly a comfort, you know? It doesn't help that my supervisor is condescending and the most unhelpful person I've ever met. Instead of actually helping me she just sends me straight to canvas and tells me to figure it all out myself when half of what I'm doing is completely new to me.
This has mostly just been a rant but PLEASE if anyone has been in a vaguely similar situation and could offer some advice on how to get through this last push I'd be so so grateful. I'm on my last legs right now.
Original post by AMNMN
Hi guys,
I'm in my 3rd year undergrad marine biology and I'm in the last couple of months of my dissertation. A few weeks ago I had to restart from the beginning due to my field work completely falling through. Obviously this has really stressed me out given that I was left with 10 weeks to do my whole diss but I feel like I've stayed on top of the work pretty well doing a bit everyday and I'm still technically not behind on the module schedule.
My issue is that I have not enjoyed the last 2.5 years at uni and this has just rubbed salt in the wound. I'm exhausted and stressed and I'm desperate for this to be over. I know I'm making progress but it's slow and I feel like I'm in this constant state of half panic where I know I'm fine but I'm also really stressed. Living with this right now feels like when you're running in a nightmare, I can feel the stress, failure and worst-case ending are right on my tail but I'm just one step ahead and it makes me feel like crying all the time.
The only way this ends is when my diss is submitted but that's not exactly a comfort, you know? It doesn't help that my supervisor is condescending and the most unhelpful person I've ever met. Instead of actually helping me she just sends me straight to canvas and tells me to figure it all out myself when half of what I'm doing is completely new to me.
This has mostly just been a rant but PLEASE if anyone has been in a vaguely similar situation and could offer some advice on how to get through this last push I'd be so so grateful. I'm on my last legs right now.
My friend's brother is in this position, and he's also stressing out on his uni courses. I don't really know him that well, but I know he's trying his best and has mentioned to his parents that he hates studying + feels quite stressed at the idea of continuous contemplation of what the future may hold for him.
I would say please, please stay positive at all times—I know you've tried, but everyone else is probably going through the same experience as you or even worse! You're doing perfectly well, and from my perspective, you're an amazing individual who can power through anything when you put your mind to it.
I wish you all the best, and I hope you'll understand not to worry as you're an inspiration - getting this far into uni, many people would probably give up at this point, but here I see a strong student who can complete the gruesome years!

I hope you'll do well and a great future in store for you.
Goodluck!
Reply 2
I would suggest a read through of what you've done so far and doing an audit of the work still needed - this should produce a list of tasks. Then order them according to importance. Work through them from the top down, ticking them off as you go (this will bring a sense of achievement/relief). Stuff that is already good enough should be low priority - what you are looking for are the gaps and underworked sections that need to be brought up to scratch. Make sure you leave a week to do your proof read, final formatting/tidying up, and referencing.
Original post by AMNMN
Hi guys,
@AMNMN

Congrats! You've only got two more months of your dissertation. You have managed to start over and you're making daily progress. Remember, you are running a marathon not a sprint!

It's sad to hear that you have not enjoyed uni, but again this is nearly over. You have made it this far, so even though it's tough, remember that soon you will have so much time to do what you want to do and to just relax. It's worth putting in that extra effort now, so that you've got no regrets come the summer.

All that being said, it is important that you find a way to relieve some of the stress you are feeling. Is there a sports activity you can do e.g. swimming or cycling that might help? Or perhaps listening to music or doing art? It may be that cooking or baking helps. It's important that you find what helps you and that you allow yourself to switch off from the stress, so that you can return to your dissertation work fresh, and less stressed. This will help you to think clearly and work more efficiently.

It might also be helpful to talk to other students who are feeling stressed so that you can feel supported by others. Remember there are lots of people rooting for you to succeed and who will want to support and encourage you at this time let them!

All the best,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending