The Student Room Group

what do you do when you feel stressed?

title is sufficient ig?
When I'm stressed I take a minute to organise myself. Make a list, prioritise the list and then set small deadlines for each. Like if it was for a school assignment I'd set a deadline just for one section of it.
Bust a nut
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #2
Bust a nut

not what im thinking
Reply 4
Original post by CharityCross219
When I'm stressed I take a minute to organise myself. Make a list, prioritise the list and then set small deadlines for each. Like if it was for a school assignment I'd set a deadline just for one section of it.

you do this practically? i mean i havent done this so..
Original post by Anonymous #1
title is sufficient ig?

Hiya! :smile:

First of all, I hope you are doing okay, and it is just a curiosity or small issue question. If you are struggling with severe stress, remember that there are helplines you can contact, or you can seek help from your GP. Your mental health is just as important as your physical health.

I used to stress a lot as I wanted to please people by always behaving impeccably and being the best. It turned out that the only expectations I should meet were my own, so I redefined them. Invaluable and essential help in this process was a book by Dale Carnegie called "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living".

Nevertheless, I think it is hard to remove stress from one's life for good. I also do stress out occasionally. My reliable techniques are:

One of the first things I do when stress starts to build up is to close my eyes and take a few deep breaths. It sounds simple and obvious, but the act of slowing down, giving yourself a short break, and focusing on your breath can provide an instant sense of calm.

Whenever I am overwhelmed, I combat this by creating to-do lists, breaking down tasks into manageable steps, and prioritising what needs immediate attention. This helps me regain a sense of control.

Stress often results from distorted thoughts, like overly high expectations or fear of being an object of jokes. I am finding effective calming of my mind by challenging my distorted thinking process. Whenever I detect some unjustified thoughts, I immediately dispute them. For example, I get stressed when presenting in front of people because I am afraid of failure. I keep saying to myself that I am well-prepared, and even if I fail, no one is perfect. I can honestly say that presenting has become much easier for me since then.

I hope it was helpful! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions 🙂 You can also chat with me or other student directly through The Ambassador Platform.

Take care,

Julia
Psychology student
De Montfort University
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by De Montfort University
Hiya! :smile:

First of all, I hope you are doing okay, and it is just a curiosity or small issue question. If you are struggling with severe stress, remember that there are helplines you can contact, or you can seek help from your GP. Your mental health is just as important as your physical health.

I used to stress a lot as I wanted to please people by always behaving impeccably and being the best. It turned out that the only expectations I should meet were my own, so I redefined them. Invaluable and essential help in this process was a book by Dale Carnegie called "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living".

Nevertheless, I think it is hard to remove stress from one's life for good. I also do stress out occasionally. My reliable techniques are:

One of the first things I do when stress starts to build up is to close my eyes and take a few deep breaths. It sounds simple and obvious, but the act of slowing down, giving yourself a short break, and focusing on your breath can provide an instant sense of calm.

Whenever I am overwhelmed, I combat this by creating to-do lists, breaking down tasks into manageable steps, and prioritising what needs immediate attention. This helps me regain a sense of control.

Stress often results from distorted thoughts, like overly high expectations or fear of being an object of jokes. I am finding effective calming of my mind by challenging my distorted thinking process. Whenever I detect some unjustified thoughts, I immediately dispute them. For example, I get stressed when presenting in front of people because I am afraid of failure. I keep saying to myself that I am well-prepared, and even if I fail, no one is perfect. I can honestly say that presenting has become much easier for me since then.

I hope it was helpful! Feel free to reach out if you have any questions 🙂 You can also chat with me or other student directly through The Ambassador Platform.

Take care,

Julia
Psychology student
De Montfort University

i wanted help but i am from india. sorry for asking direct but can you share a a link of webchat of any platform or helpline which helps by chat? i e mailed Samaritans and sane website but didnt get any reply . and is it free? here parents hesitate to go to doctor and pay money
i wanted help but i am from india. sorry for asking direct but can you share a a link of webchat of any platform or helpline which helps by chat? i e mailed Samaritans and sane website but didnt get any reply . and is it free? here parents hesitate to go to doctor and pay money

Hi!

I am sorry to hear that you are facing challenges. I would recommend to call one of the helplines. Here is a list of available options. If you really feel more comfortable chatting or texting, I would try the free Shout Text Service.

I hope you will get better soon! Wish you all the best :smile:

Take care,

Julia
Reply 8
not what im thinking

It can help, to be fair...

What are you stressed about? It's really difficult to advise without any more information. Some stressful situations can be made less stressful by dealing with the cause of stress, some are impossible to change and you have to learn to adjust your own response. If you are willing to share some examples, we may be able to give more targeted advise. Either way, I hope things get less stressful for you soon.
Reply 9
Original post by black tea
It can help, to be fair...

What are you stressed about? It's really difficult to advise without any more information. Some stressful situations can be made less stressful by dealing with the cause of stress, some are impossible to change and you have to learn to adjust your own response. If you are willing to share some examples, we may be able to give more targeted advise. Either way, I hope things get less stressful for you soon.

studies. i was good but not now
studies. i was good but not now

Hiya!

First of all it depends on what is stressing myself out my main solution if life in general is stressing me out is I have a ‘me’ night. A ‘me’ night is doing whatever I feel like doing which brings me joy and trying not to feel guilty about it, this may consist of having a pamper night, reading, chilling out and watching a favourite film, crochet and even going on a late night walk. I try to have one of these nights every other week depending on how stressed I am feeling and to me it is a great benefit as it helps having a balance and rewarding myself. In addition, it is something I can look forward to and helps my mental health as I can forget about my worries for one night.

Speaking of, if you are finding that you seem to be too stressed, and It is re-occurring it is always beneficial to try and seek help and get support when you can as your mental health is equally important to physical.

From following the thread, it seems to be your studies which causes you stress. In this case when I am stressed about studies, I divide the task up into smaller tasks and set mini expectations for when I would like them completed by giving myself control and time to just set myself a plan this helps by making the overall task less intimidating and I find motivation and satisfaction by completing the smaller tasks and reward myself after completed. Perhaps you can reach out to your teacher if something in particular about your studies is stressful no one will know you are struggling if you don’t reach out and you should never be ashamed of asking for help; or if you feel like you can’t ask for help from a teacher ask your fellow class mates if they feel the same and how they cope with your shared studies.

At the end of the day, we all experience stress and no one is perfect so try not to give yourself a hard time. Let us know if there is anything else we can help with!

-Maddie, second year health and well-being student at De Montfort University
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest