The Student Room Group

FP3 First order differential equations

I'm having some trouble with getting the general solutions of these differential equations! They should be pretty easy, they're at the start of the misc ex :smile:

xdydx+(x+1)y=1x \frac{dy}{dx} + (x+1)y = 1

and for -1<x<1

(1+x2)dydxxy+1=0(1 + x^2)\frac{dy}{dx} -xy +1 = 0

If someone could post a method for one of them, it would be super helpful! Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by kawehi
I'm having some trouble with getting the general solutions of these differential equations! They should be pretty easy, they're at the start of the misc ex :smile:

and for -1<x<1

If someone could post a method for one of them, it would be super helpful! Thank you!

Do you know the general form for solving 1st ODEs?
Reply 2
Original post by kawehi

and for -1<x<1

start by dividing the coefficient of dy/dx
Reply 3
Original post by kawehi

and for -1<x<1

Have you heard of integrating factors?
Reply 4
Original post by kawehi

If this is a 1st ODE,

dydx+Py=Q (I)\displaystyle \frac{\mathrm{d} y}{\mathrm{d}x} + Py = Q \ \text{(I)}

Then the general solution can be written as

General solution: ePdxy=ePdxQ dx\displaystyle \text{General solution:} \ e^{\int P \mathrm{d}x}y = \int e^{\int P\mathrm{d}x}Q \ \mathrm{d}x

where ePdxe^{\int P \mathrm{d}x} is the integrating factor. (Click on the annotated video to see the proof!)

Once you've got it in the required form as in (I) (which you can do using TeeEm's hint), you should find the integrating factor and then the general solution should be a cinch to find from there!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
\int e^{P\mathrm{d}x}Q \ \mathrm{d}x

Teensy typo. :-)
Reply 6
Do you know the general form for solving 1st ODEs?

Original post by TeeEm
start by dividing the coefficient of dy/dx

Yeah, I know the general method but I can't seem to get the 'product rule' bit..

[br]x(dy/dx)+(x+1)y=1[br](dy/dx)+(1+1/x)y=1/x[br][br]I(x)=(1+1x)dx=x+lnx[br]Somultiplytheoriginalthingbyxex[br][br]xex(dydx+(1+1x)y=1x)[br]xexdydx+xex(1+1x)y=ex[br][br]x (dy/dx) + (x+1)y = 1[br](dy/dx) + (1 + 1/x)y = 1/x[br][br]I(x) = \int (1 + \frac{1}{x})dx = x + ln x[br]So multiply the original thing by xe^x[br][br]xe^x (\frac{dy}{dx} + (1 + \frac{1}{x})y = \frac{1}{x})[br]xe^x \frac{dy}{dx} + xe^x (1 + \frac{1}{x})y = e^x[br]

Sorry the latex fracs are a bit dodgy haha, but I don't know what to do from there.. Have I made any mistakes or can I just not spot the product rule bit?
Reply 7
Original post by kawehi
Yeah, I know the general method but I can't seem to get the 'product rule' bit..

[br]x(dy/dx)+(x+1)y=1[br](dy/dx)+(1+1/x)y=1/x[br][br]I(x)=(1+1x)dx=x+lnx[br]Somultiplytheoriginalthingbyxex[br][br]xex(dydx+(1+1x)y=1x)[br]xexdydx+xex(1+1x)y=ex[br][br]x (dy/dx) + (x+1)y = 1[br](dy/dx) + (1 + 1/x)y = 1/x[br][br]I(x) = \int (1 + \frac{1}{x})dx = x + ln x[br]So multiply the original thing by xe^x[br][br]xe^x (\frac{dy}{dx} + (1 + \frac{1}{x})y = \frac{1}{x})[br]xe^x \frac{dy}{dx} + xe^x (1 + \frac{1}{x})y = e^x[br]

Sorry the latex fracs are a bit dodgy haha, but I don't know what to do from there.. Have I made any mistakes or can I just not spot the product rule bit?

I let @aymanzayedmannan continue as he was first and I found myself tied up now.
Reply 8
Original post by TeeEm
I let @aymanzayedmannan continue as he was first and I found myself tied up now.

Ok, thanks :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by kawehi

[br]xexdydx+xex(1+1x)y=ex[br][br]xe^x \frac{dy}{dx} + xe^x (1 + \frac{1}{x})y = e^x[br]

From there: the LHS is nothing but ddx(xexy)=ex\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} \left(xe^x y\right) = e^x

Now you can integrate both sides...
Reply 10
Original post by Zacken
From there: the LHS is nothing but ddx(xexy)=ex\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} \left(xe^x y\right) = e^x

Now you can integrate both sides...

Ohh, I somehow missed that you had to use product rule on xe^x :rolleyes: Thanks!!!
Reply 11
Original post by kawehi
Ohh, I somehow missed that you had to use product rule on xe^x :rolleyes: Thanks!!!

The whole point of using the integrating factor is that you get your DE in the form:

ddx(Iy)=Iq(x)\displaystyle \frac{d}{dx} \left(Iy\right) = Iq(x) so you can integrate both sides and solve. :-)
Original post by Zacken

Still more helpful than you.
Reply 13
Original post by kawehi

Alright, so you're gold on finding the integrating factor :borat: You're struggling on the "multiplying through" part from what it seems.

Now, after you've divided through by x, your DE is now dydx+(1+1x)y=1x\displaystyle \frac{\mathrm{d} y}{\mathrm{d} x} + \left ( 1 +\frac{1}{x} \right )y = \frac{1}{x}, right? Comparing this to the equation (I) I gave you, you can see that Q = 1/x.

Rather than multiplying it out by your factor, try using the general solution I gave you. You will see that you'll get an easily integrable function by multiplying through using that method.

EDIT: looks like Zacken took care of it while I was struggling with Latex!

Original post by Zacken

thank you :colondollar:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by tinkerbella~

not at all :redface:
Reply 15

Spoiler

thank you :colondollar:

I think the integrating factor is ex+lnx=xexe^{x + \ln x} = xe^x. The user has just done some abuse of notation. :-)
Reply 16

Play nice.
Reply 17
Original post by Zacken
I think the integrating factor is ex+lnx=xexe^{x + \ln x} = xe^x. The user has just done some abuse of notation. :-)

nah, mate I realise and edited it because it looked iffy. :colondollar:
Original post by Zacken
Play nice.

That's not my style.
Reply 19
nah, mate I realise and edited it because it looked iffy. :colondollar:

Go write some music, enough maths. :rock:

That's not my style.

You don't have style.

Quick Reply