The Student Room Group

Medicine - Work Experience

hi i am currently pursuing to do medicine after I leave school but you need work experience in a hospital or shadowing a doctor to be in the running for the medicine course. I have tried everything from looking online, asking local GP's and applying in my near by hospitals but there is noting. Does anyone have any tips or wise advice that i can use to find me some work experience? (I live in Glasgow btw)
Reply 1
Original post by pendo karimba
hi i am currently pursuing to do medicine after I leave school but you need work experience in a hospital or shadowing a doctor to be in the running for the medicine course. I have tried everything from looking online, asking local GP's and applying in my near by hospitals but there is noting. Does anyone have any tips or wise advice that i can use to find me some work experience? (I live in Glasgow btw)

You don't HAVE to shadow a doctor. You can volunteer in charity shops, a pharmacy, a special needs school or a care home. Make a wise choice as you will probably be asked about it in an interview. Doing work experience is a way of showing you are actually interested in the course and you will figure out whether medicine is something that you want to do as you will experience working with people with various medical limitations.
Reply 2

Send letters to consultants in a local hospital, they'll often be able to slip you in.
okay thanks for the advice:smile:
Original post by Nuba123
You don't HAVE to shadow a doctor. You can volunteer in charity shops, a pharmacy, a special needs school or a care home. Make a wise choice as you will probably be asked about it in an interview. Doing work experience is a way of showing you are actually interested in the course and you will figure out whether medicine is something that you want to do as you will experience working with people with various medical limitations.
will definetly try that thanks
Original post by Oil lamp
Send letters to consultants in a local hospital, they'll often be able to slip you in.
Reply 5
okay thanks for the advice:smile:

no problem :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest