The Student Room Group

is 3 as levels enough for ucl econ or lse accounting and finance

basically for gcses i have 7 a's ,1 b and 1 d and for as i am doing maths economics and geography 3 as levels. If i get 3 A's do i have a chance of getting into ucl economics or any other economics course in the top 10 universities or accounting and finance in lse?
An economics degree and a account/finance degree are VERY different. I would worry about the fact that you think you'll be able to either degree at ridiculously prestigious universities. That is, sure, you might really enjoy one or the other and thus be able to handle that course athe respective uni. But for you to have the passion to succeed/enjoy both? I doubt it.
Reply 2
I can't speak for the economics course in particular but I believe UCL do like 4 AS levels. My offer (Computer Science not econ) needed 3A2s and an AS (excl. general studies) to meet it. Economics is much more competitive than CS at UCL, so I'd expect a similar offer. In your position I'd do 4 and not focus on the least relevant one so you have 4 but have 3 strong grades to meet the offer with. 3As for AS is a v. solid set of grades, and one or more A* predictions with some good experience/personal statement/interview performance (do they interview?) leaves you a good chance of getting an offer.
Reply 3
Original post by TVIO
I can't speak for the economics course in particular but I believe UCL do like 4 AS levels. My offer (Computer Science not econ) needed 3A2s and an AS (excl. general studies) to meet it. Economics is much more competitive than CS at UCL, so I'd expect a similar offer. In your position I'd do 4 and not focus on the least relevant one so you have 4 but have 3 strong grades to meet the offer with. 3As for AS is a v. solid set of grades, and one or more A* predictions with some good experience/personal statement/interview performance (do they interview?) leaves you a good chance of getting an offer.

the thing is im only doing 3 as levels
Reply 4
Original post by TorpidPhil
An economics degree and a account/finance degree are VERY different. I would worry about the fact that you think you'll be able to either degree at ridiculously prestigious universities. That is, sure, you might really enjoy one or the other and thus be able to handle that course athe respective uni. But for you to have the passion to succeed/enjoy both? I doubt it.

i definitely have the passion it just iam stressing over whether my three a levels would contemplate for it in this case
Reply 5
Original post by Sanchai
the thing is im only doing 3 as levels

Well, you've got 5 UCAS choices and my philosophy was "better to 'waste' a choice at the top and maybe get in rather than waste one at the bottom where you're never likely to go."
With 3 I'd think you're at a slight disadvantage. It's a tad unusual. I'd still go for it, but try to get everything else in your application absolutely 100% so it doesn't trip you up.
Reply 6
Original post by TVIO
Well, you've got 5 UCAS choices and my philosophy was "better to 'waste' a choice at the top and maybe get in rather than waste one at the bottom where you're never likely to go."
With 3 I'd think you're at a slight disadvantage. It's a tad unusual. I'd still go for it, but try to get everything else in your application absolutely 100% so it doesn't trip you up.

thanks mate you're amazing. one more thing so if i get all A's for my as levels and then apply for ucl econ, lse accounting and finance, bath economics, exeter economics and bristol economics do you think i stand any chance of getting in to any of them also with a excellent personal statement and good interview
Reply 7
Original post by Sanchai
thanks mate you're amazing. one more thing so if i get all A's for my as levels and then apply for ucl econ, lse accounting and finance, bath economics, exeter economics and bristol economics do you think i stand any chance of getting in to any of them also with a excellent personal statement and good interview

Not really my area of expertise I'll be honest, but with econ being as competitive as it is I'd have one 'safe' choice that's a little bit easier than the rest. Are exeter, bristol and bath highly competitive for economics as well? If you have a killer personal statement and good interview then you have a better chance than anyone else of getting in IMO, as if you've gotten to the interview stage you're already being seriously considered and your grades are not as relevant (unless it's like Cambridge or something). Best of luck with, I'm sure you'll end up somewhere great.
One other thing, don't ignore student satisfaction ratings unless you're prepared to live with it. Term 1 here was incredibly dull and I'm pretty dissatisfied with how the organisation has been for many of the things here. But there's plenty to like as well, so I don't regret applying here (though I do regret missing my firm...). And I think my gripes are with the engineering dept. so you'd be unaffected.

Quick Reply

Latest