The Student Room Group

C2 graph/logs question

Hey guys,

I'm a bit stuck with part 3 of this question. Mainly with rearranging the equation to get a half somewhere. I worked out the answer to the first half using a different method but I can't quite get the method they're using to get the answer to the y coordinate of p

x = -0.32

Screen Shot 2016-02-28 at 23.12.45.png
Attachment not found
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Saywhatyoumean
Hey guys,

I'm a bit stuck with part 3 of this question, rearranging the equations to get a half in the equation. I worked out the answer to the first half of using a different method but I can't quite get the method they're using to get the answer to the y coordinate of p

x = -0.32

Screen Shot 2016-02-28 at 23.12.45.png
Attachment not found

please post your workings
Original post by TeeEm
please post your workings

Okay well I put the two equations equal to each other straight away and took logs of both sides:

(1/3)^x = 2(3^x)

Xlog1/3 = log 2(3^x)

xlog(1/3) = log2 + xlog3

Xlog1/3 - xlog3 = log2

X(log1/3 - log3) = log2

X= log2/log1/9

X= -0.32

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3

If you've found xx, then you can just plug that value right back any of your two equations y=(13)xy= \left(\frac{1}{3}\right)^x or y=2(3x)y = 2(3^x) and they'll both give you the y-coordinate out.

It's kind of like how, if you have a line y=2x+3y = 2x +3 and y=x+4y = x + 4 then they intersect at 2x+3=x+4    x=12x + 3 = x + 4 \iff x = 1, which is the x-coordinate of the intersection, but also the y-coordinate is given by plugging that into y=2x+3=2(1)+3=5y = 2x + 3 = 2(1) +3 = 5 or y=x+4=1+4=5y = x + 4 = 1 +4 = 5.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Okay well I put the two equations equal to each other straight away and took logs of both sides:

(1/3)^x = 2(3^x)

Xlog1/3 = log 2(3^x)

xlog(1/3) = log2 + xlog3

Xlog1/3 - xlog3 = log2

X(log1/3 - log3) = log2

X= log2/log1/9

X= -0.32

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Zacken
If you've found xx, then you can just plug that value right back any of your two equations
Unparseable latex formula:

y= \let(\frac{1}{3}\right)^x

or y=2(3x)y = 2(3^x) and they'll both give you the y-coordinate out.

It's kind of like how, if you have a line y=2x+3y = 2x +3 and y=x+4y = x + 4 then they intersect at 2x+3=x+4    x=12x + 3 = x + 4 \iff x = 1, which is the x-coordinate of the intersection, but also the y-coordinate is given by plugging that into y=2x+3=2(1)+3=5y = 2x + 3 = 2(1) +3 = 5 or y=x+4=1+4=5y = x + 4 = 1 +4 = 5.

Zacken has already started helping you
all the best
Original post by Zacken
If you've found xx, then you can just plug that value right back any of your two equations
Unparseable latex formula:

y= \let(\frac{1}{3}\right)^x

or y=2(3x)y = 2(3^x) and they'll both give you the y-coordinate out.

Thanks for this, I knew that but x was a very long decimal and subbing it in to get y didn't give me a nice answer of root 2, it was a few decimal places out so I didn't think I'd get the marks for doing that here? I'm not sure though

Posted from TSR Mobile
(null)

Again thanks, I got roughly something like that but what happens to the 1^x in that - wouldn't it be 1^x/2 = 3^x ?

I feel like that's a stupid question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TeeEm
Zacken has already started helping you
all the best

Thanks lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Thanks for this, I knew that but x was a very long decimal and subbing it in to get y didn't give me a nice answer of root 2, it was a few decimal places out so I didn't think I'd get the marks for doing that here? I'm not sure though

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're not meant to use the decimal answer, you should use the exact value instead:

So you know that x=log2log19x = \displaystyle \frac{\log 2}{\log \frac{1}{9}}, then:

How can you work out 3x3^x exactly? Use the fact that 3log3m=m3^{\log_3 m} =m

Does that help?
Original post by Zacken
You're not meant to use the decimal answer, you should use the exact value instead:

So you know that x=log2log19x = \displaystyle \frac{\log 2}{\log \frac{1}{9}}, then:

How can you work out 3x3^x exactly? Use the fact that 3log3m=m3^{\log_3 m} =m

Does that help?

Ohh yes it does! Still would never have thought to do that in exam - but what about with this method:

So if (1/3)^x = (1^x/3^x) = 2(3^x)

1^x = 2 x (3^2x)

1^x / 2 = 3^2x ?

What happens to the 1^x ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Ohh yes it does! Still would never have thought to do that in exam - but what about with this method:

So if (1/3)^x = (1^x/3^x) = 2(3^x)

1^x = 2 x (3^2x)

1^x / 2 = 3^2x ?

What happens to the 1^x ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

1^x = 1 for all x.
Anyone know which paper this is from?
Original post by Zacken
1^x = 1 for all x.

omg of course how did I not see that😂😂thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anonwinner
Anyone know which paper this is from?

it's one of the OCR Solomon papers, H I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
it's one of the OCR Solomon papers, H I think

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest