The Student Room Group

White people running Indian restaurant???

I kid you not, I walk in to find all the staff were white British even the chef, I had to walkout and check the sign to ensure it was an Indian restaurant. I walked back in and the waiter asked me if I'd like a table I asked him what was going on, and he asked what I meant. I just walkedout without replying. Surely this is false advertising? I bet all they do is heatup ready meals and charge £20..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

So you're also informing me that my mum can't make a kickass spaghetti bolognaise because she's British and not Italian? OK.
Original post by Superhotfire
I kid you not, I walk in to find all the staff were white British even the chef, I had to walkout and check the sign to ensure it was an Indian restaurant. I walked back in and the waiter asked me if I'd like a table I asked him what was going on, and he asked what I meant. I just walkedout without replying. Surely this is false advertising? I bet all they do is heatup ready meals and charge £20..

You silly sausage. I was going to call you a cretin but I'm in a kind mood.
WHAT! SO :argh:
a chef meant to cook pretty much all the cuisines that's why the chef is declared as a chef :smile:
I would call the police and have them all sent back to India.
Reply 5
That cultural appropriation tho
Original post by JohnGreek
Oh no muh we cant have them whites running indian restaurants!1221

think about what would happen if indians ran burger shops and local pubs!

Completely different situation

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd have a curry made by Rick Stein any day of the week.

There wasn't any need to just walk out without replying. You should of at least tried the food.
how do you know they weren't in fact Indian?

And at the end of the day you just need to know how to mix ingredients together. Chill your food isn't special.
Food cultures are meant to be shared.

Otherwise, you, as an European, shouldn't eat chocolate, corn, tomatoes, peanuts and sweet potatoes just to name a few, since none of them originate in Europe. This idea that only the indigenous people can prepare and serve their own "national" food is ludicrous. Spaghetti and pizza are Italian, French fries are (ironically) Belgian, so are waffles, croissants and baguettes are French, wurst and schnitzels are German, bean stew and white truffles are Croatian and so on. The point here is that most of the foods and products we consume originate someplace else entirely. But through immigration, trade and movement of people, we shared our cultures and that's why it's perfectly okay for a white British person to run an Indian restaurant, just as it's okay for an Indian to run an Italian restaurant.

Finally, if British people only ate their own "national" dishes, you'd be stuck with fish and chips and Yorkshire pudding, so...shush.
(edited 8 years ago)
in my city, there are turks serving british fish and chips, and chinese as well - what should we do? honestly, there are *dozens* of turks and chinamen serving up british fish and chips. almost on each street corner. I'm not joking. apparently something must be done about this, by your logic. were you thinking mobbing their shops or getting the feds involved?
(edited 8 years ago)
As long as it tastes good and somewhat "Indian" like, I would give it go. Don't trash something without even sampling it first, will you? Who knows, maybe those white people have connections with some Indian chefs and cooks and what not.

Walk in the restaurant, walk out with out ordering a single thing to even taste then call it false ads? What?? Lol.
From my experience Indian food at pubs made by English people has been better than the Indian food made by Bangladeshis at "Indian" restaurants in many cases.
Most of the Indian Restaurants around my area serve up nondescript meat in gravy with a bit of chilli powder.

I, on the other hand, am a white gentleman. And I enjoy nothing more than chopping stuff and using the blender and searching out fresh quality ingredients to make a complex, tasty curry that you can smell from the next county. Proper nan bread eludes me, but you know - it's not like I just happen to have a tandoor oven sitting in the corner of my kitchen. Although I believe nowadays you can actually get such a thing for home use. Actually I'm going to google that now.

Anyway - I digress.
Original post by Eternalflames
From my experience Indian food at pubs made by English people has been better than the Indian food made by Bangladeshis at "Indian" restaurants in many cases.

I guess it's the equivalent of an English person going to India and opening up an English restaurant that only served soggy chips and ketchup.
Reply 15
Its globalisation. Deal with it.
Although I did have a similar situation the other day.

I went to East Sussex on a day out, went in the "East Sussex" restaurant and bar grill, and discovered to my horror that one of the staff was actually from West Sussex.

Well, I jolly well wouldn't eat there, I can tell you. I'll be writing to their proprietor forthwith.
There are a ton of Indian restaurants owned by Nigerians where I live:awesome:
suck on that :awesome:
I have yet to see a white person run a middle eastern restaurant
Original post by Withengar
Food cultures are meant to be shared.

Otherwise, you, as an European, shouldn't eat chocolate, corn, tomatoes, peanuts and sweet potatoes just to name a few, since none of them originate in Europe. This idea that only the indigenous people can prepare and serve their own "national" food is ludicrous. Spaghetti and pizza are Italian, French fries are (ironically) Belgian, so are waffles, croissants and baguettes are French, wurst and schnitzels are German, bean stew and white truffles are Croatian and so on. The point here is that most of the foods and products we consume originate someplace else entirely. But through immigration, trade and movement of people, we shared our cultures and that's why it's perfectly okay for a white British person to run an Indian restaurant, just as it's okay for an Indian to run an Italian restaurant.

Finally, if British people only ate their own "national" dishes, you'd be stuck with fish and chips and Yorkshire pudding, so...shush.

:rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest