The Student Room Group

I have an interview at a cattery.... (<3)

I've got an interview at a cattery. It's my dream place to work... The interview is on Tuesday.

I've had interviews before but they were only for Sainsbury's.

What things should I ask/tell my interviewer so I might have a good chance of getting the job?

(I have done two years of animal care and have done volunteer work for Cilia Hammond's animal trust for a year)

Should I tell my interviewer that I'm doing the job for the cats? (It's how I really feel about the job. Cats come first!)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MLPforever
I've got an interview at a cattery. It's my dream place to work... The interview is on Tuesday.

I've had interviews before but they were only for Sainsbury's.

What things should I ask/tell my interviewer so I might have a good chance of getting the job?

(I have done two years of animal care and have done volunteer work for Cilia Hammond's animal trust for a year)

Should I tell my interviewer that I'm doing the job for the cats? (It's how I really feel about the job. Cats come first!)

I'm sure your passion will shine through in the interview. Although your first priority is the cats, make sure you show you can deal with any interpersonal sides of the job (e.g. dealing with clients) as well.

You may be expected to interact with the cats or walk around the cattery during the interview, so make sure you wear clothes that are practical for this, even if they are a little more casual than you'd usually wear to an interview.

If the cattery is in an out of the way place, showing you have a reliable method of getting to and from work will be a plus for a lot of employers.
Reply 2
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
I'm sure your passion will shine through in the interview. Although your first priority is the cats, make sure you show you can deal with any interpersonal sides of the job (e.g. dealing with clients) as well.

You may be expected to interact with the cats or walk around the cattery during the interview, so make sure you wear clothes that are practical for this, even if they are a little more casual than you'd usually wear to an interview.

If the cattery is in an out of the way place, showing you have a reliable method of getting to and from work will be a plus for a lot of employers.

I hope it does. II can deal with the interpersonal side of the job as I have done work experience at WH Smiths 2 years ago.

The interviewer told me that I should wear smart casual clothing.

It's 1 hour away from my address.

Do you have any questions I should ask other than the dress code for the job?
Original post by MLPforever
I hope it does. II can deal with the interpersonal side of the job as I have done work experience at WH Smiths 2 years ago.

The interviewer told me that I should wear smart casual clothing.

It's 1 hour away from my address.

Do you have any questions I should ask other than the dress code for the job?

Just saying you did work experience two years ago won't necessarily show employers you can deal with people- if you're asked about this, I would try to give a more complete answer (you can mention examples from education or extracuriculars to show you're good at dealing with people as well).

An hour is quite a long commute, so the employer will want to know you have reliable transport. Public transport will be fine, so long as it's flexible (e.g. the last bus isn't 20 minutes after your shift will finish).

There's no magic list of questions you'll need to ask. Some employers will tell you a lot about the job as they interview you, so you may not need to ask anything. I would make a list of things you want to know before you accept the job (e.g. exactly what your duties will be, are there any opportunities for career progression, if you'll be expected to do overtime e.g. to cover for absence or at busy times, exactly what the employer is looking for in you). You might already have some of this information from the job advert.
just a word of advice, whilst you should definitely let them know your passion for the cats I would also mention to them that you realise the job isn't about cuddling cats and playing with them all day and that you are more than happy to do the admin and cleaning side of the job too. ive done work experience at a kennels before and the owner said that me saying that got me the placement as he realised I was serious, had researched what the job was actually like and I was willing to do all the work not just the nice bits
Reply 5
I didn't know cattery was a word

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending