The Student Room Group

Can i get an A* in English

I got a B in my coursework, my tutor thinks its up to an A but the moderator only marked it up to a high B. I agree with my tutor because the moderator has frequently made a lot of marking errors with a lot of student's courseworks and my tutor had studied in cambridge + was head of english at Kings school so, yeah I completely agree with him!

Anoter note:
Before, the moderator marked my coursework's up to a low C, I complained to my school's head of english teacher because I knew it wasn't at ****ing C. But she said that she agreed with the moderator. So i decided to resend it for marking (and i didn't change anything at all) and it turns out I got a high B. It just shows that a lot of my school teachers and exam moderators dont know how to *ucking mark anything properly.

And again I still disagree with the marking :P
Hopefully the exam board picks up on the poor marking

So can anyone please tell me if its possible to get an A* with a B in my coursework.

Oh and do you know any good resources for eng lang/lit to study (exam boards: Eng lit - Edexcel, Eng lang : Cambridge
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Because they're a bunch of *#&#$#*#&#$#*#&#$#*#&#$#*#&#$#*#&#$#*#&#$#*#&#$#*#&#$#*#&#$#*#&#$#*#&#$#*#&#$#*#&#$#*# screbby &#$#*#&#$#*#&#$#*#&#$#* illiterate &#$#*#&#$#*#&#$#*#&#$#*#& pile o f &#$#*#&#$#*#&#$#*#&#$#*#&#$#*#&#$#*#&#$#*#&#$#*#&#$# *#&#$#*#&#$#*#&#$#*#&#$#*#&#$#
I do the same exam boards as you for language and literature, I used Mr Bruff on youtube alot of literature because he covers alot of the poems in edexcel lit, I think if you got a high A* you may just get a B but idk have a look on last years grade boundaries :smile:
Original post by caitlinford3
I do the same exam boards as you for language and literature, I used Mr Bruff on youtube alot of literature because he covers alot of the poems in edexcel lit, I think if you got a high A* you may just get a B but idk have a look on last years grade boundaries :smile:

Thanks for the help, really apreciate it!
But doesn't he make videos only for the aqa exam board only?
??? if I get a high A* i can only get a B? - thats hard!
Yea RIP, You're doomed. max you can get is a B in your english gcse now

RIPepperoni
Original post by shohaib712

Oh and do you know any good resources for eng lang/lit to study (exam boards: Eng lit - Edexcel, Eng lang : Cambridge

Did you get a B on Lang or Lit coursework?
Thanks for the help, really apreciate it!
But doesn't he make videos only for the aqa exam board only?
??? if I get a high A* i can only get a B? - thats hard!

Yeah which is why I don't watch his language videos, but his literature ones I'm pretty sure he does Edexcel but if not he does some of the poems from the anthology anyway so it doesn't hurt to take notes of his analysis (luckily for me I watched a 30 minute video on a poem which was in the exam the next day so I had all the right notes)

No I meant if you get an A* you will get an A for sure, if you can an A you will probably get an A overall, but I don't think you'll be able to get an A* overall if you got a B in your coursework unless you get a really high A*, but you'll have to look at last years grade boundaries to make judgement
Original post by FaisalNaeem03
Did you get a B on Lang or Lit coursework?

lang
We haven't done any literature coursework
lang
We haven't done any literature coursework

Have you done your speaking and listening?

not yet

do you have any good tips to get a good mark on it?
not yet

Can you improve your coursework?
Can you improve your coursework?

yes why?
TBH i cant find anything to improve on it. And the moderator didn't find anything wrong with it so i dont know why she put it a B
do you have any good tips to get a good mark on it?

Lol I'm doing mine on Monday. I'm gonna hopefully change my teacher, because my actual teacher is awkward af plus I can't keep a convo with him.
yes why?
TBH i cant find anything to improve on it. And the moderator didn't find anything wrong with it so i dont know why she put it a B

wait I don't get it lol. How did you already give it to your moderator, and then theres you still improving your work. Surely you'll give your coursework when you've reached your deadline
Original post by caitlinford3
Yeah which is why I don't watch his language videos, but his literature ones I'm pretty sure he does Edexcel but if not he does some of the poems from the anthology anyway so it doesn't hurt to take notes of his analysis (luckily for me I watched a 30 minute video on a poem which was in the exam the next day so I had all the right notes)

No I meant if you get an A* you will get an A for sure, if you can an A you will probably get an A overall, but I don't think you'll be able to get an A* overall if you got a B in your coursework unless you get a really high A*, but you'll have to look at last years grade boundaries to make judgement

Thank you for the help!
what did you get on your courseworks?
wait I don't get it lol. How did you already give it to your moderator, and then theres you still improving your work. Surely you'll give your coursework when you've reached your deadline

I don't get it either. My head of engish said that the moderator marks it and gves us time before the deadline to make improvements before they finalize the grade after the deadline or something like that.
I don't get it either. My head of engish said that the moderator marks it and gves us time before the deadline to make improvements before they finalize the grade after the deadline or something like that.

What's your writing to describe coursework about?

Pretty sure that aint allowed. We weren't able to make improvements once it was marked. But we were able to draft the essay and get verbal feedback.

Oh yeah BTW you can only get A in the coursework for IGCSE English Lang (Cambridge). So you need A on all 3 components to get A* well

Quick Reply

Latest