The Student Room Group

help choosing which subject for uni.

Hi, I am in Year 13 at a Sixth Form and it has came to the time where I need to choose my uni course. However, I can not decide between English Lit and Business. English Lit is what I am most passionate about, and truthfully find the easiest. My only downside is that I have been told numerous times there is no jobs apart from teaching and journalism in English. I have also been told by an English teacher that there is more money in business. And as for business, I do achieve good grades and really enjoy it, however I hate Maths and achieved a grade 5 at GCSE so that limits my options a bit as most russel group universities require a grade 6 for a business course. I see myself more likely to go into a career associated with business, as it’s my dream to become a celebrity personal assistant/ pr manager and also an entrepreneur, so business is very much needed in my future. but i do just love English and if I could get my dream job without having to study business that would be amazing . If anyone could give me any advice or an opinion on what you think I should do honestly it would be so appreciated. Thank you.Daisy.
Reply 1
you can do entrepreneurial courses alongside your degree at some unis. there are careers services which can help you gain experience and help you get internships over summer/winter breaks. personally I'd choose English as there are so many ways to get experience in business/IBM without having to do a degree in it. if you're still worried about the career prospects for English, choose a course with a year in industry or add a language and get a year abroad. alternatively try to get on committees for societies that you join, or try and write for your student paper. get small experience and build up - you don't always need a business degree to get into business.
Reply 2
Original post by flâneuse
you can do entrepreneurial courses alongside your degree at some unis. there are careers services which can help you gain experience and help you get internships over summer/winter breaks. personally I'd choose English as there are so many ways to get experience in business/IBM without having to do a degree in it. if you're still worried about the career prospects for English, choose a course with a year in industry or add a language and get a year abroad. alternatively try to get on committees for societies that you join, or try and write for your student paper. get small experience and build up - you don't always need a business degree to get into business.

Thank you so much for the reply, this has really helped me in deciding with course to do. I am now looking for courses with entrepreneurial courses alongside my english degree and also internships. thanks again!!
Hi there,

Maybe you could collaborate on your interests together? I know that Business requires a lot of reading and writing. You could use your talents to write dissertations and assignments. Maybe with business, you can do something with your English literature knowledge. For example, start a journalism business or a "hire a tutor" business. Just some random ideas that popped up while reading your post.

With a business degree, it is true that it opens up a lot of opportunities. English literature is limited, I agree, however, I would recommend pursuing your passion. If you believe that English Literature is for you, do it. Don't let capitalism get to you and stop you from pursuing your dreams.

All the best,
Dana Kafoud
4th-year BSc (Hons) Criminal Psychology student at the University of Essex Online
Reply 4
Thank you so much, this has honestly really helped me! I have been looking into business journalism after you mentioned it and it looks like something I would be interested in perusing! thank you again (:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending